I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Well it finally happened to me - I think!!!
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 01, 2010 06:33PM

Hi,
I wrapped, perfectly, a 9', #7 CTS Affinity-X blank and was just going to apply my third - very thin - coat of Diamond II. As I was attempting to cut off some fuzzies I saw that the scalpel was moving the finish around and the blade came away wet.

It seems that none of the finish had set - not even tacky. It was all from the same batch - yeah, I am the one that puts the mixed thread finish in the freezer to extend life for multi coats. Lets not go there on this thread though.

I swear that I took finish from two containers - I would have bet anything. But the proof is in the pudding!!

I had to remove the double footed guides because the tunnels were awash in liquid finish. I flooded the other wraps with alcohol to get as much finish out of the thread as possible. But I am concerned that the new correctly mixed finish will not penetrate all of the way through to the blank and leave a "liquid residue which will cause an unstable guide. I fear that I will merely form a hard shell over a soft interior. I do not subscribe to the belief that finish just protects the thread - there is enough evidence, I believe, that it binds the guide to the blank and fills any tiny gap under the guides to stabilize them. I oh so do not want to re-wrap that rod.

What I may have to do is to apply one coat of finish and then when dry destroy a ferrule wrap it to see if the original finish is still soft

Any words of wisdom re correct mixture impregnating all of the way through a botched finish and hopefully activating the mess underneath.
Herb

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2010 06:54PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Well it finally happened to me - I think!!!
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: November 01, 2010 06:58PM

Can't you just wipe most of the goo from the blank, cut the wraps off, clean up and start over??

Date: November 01, 2010 07:19PM

Jim,
Yeah - but I really don't feel like it. But I do have plenty of time. I don't need the rod until my trip to Cape Cod in June.

I was hoping that someone here would have done the same dumb thing and can tell me that it will all be O.K. But - I know in my heart thatt you are right - it should come off.
Herb

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sip.lft.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 01, 2010 07:26PM

Well you know Herb, I'm in need of a #7 CTS blank! Oh yeah you already know that! HaHa.

Lane

Date: November 01, 2010 07:51PM

Hey Lane. How are you doing??

I'm just tired - took a day on the boat for trout and reds And I come home, shower, and ready to give the wraps another coat and find this mess.

I do still have that 2pc CTS Affinity-MX #9 though.
Regards,
Herb

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sip.lft.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 01, 2010 08:04PM

But the real question is, did you catch any reds? I haven't been having too much luck on the reds lately. Deep breath, think harmonious thoughts and re-wrap. That's all I got. Hope to be down your way next spring on my annual peacock bass trip. I hope to fish them on bamboo this time. Fingers crossed!

Lane

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2010 09:05PM

Herb,
You have plenty of time.
Take the razor, slice the threads the get rid of the thread.

Wipe all of the finish off of the blank and start over.

Be sure, do it right. It is simply not worth it to try to take a short cut and end up with a job that is a real deal to try to fix. Right now, cut your losses and start again. It will only take 5 minutes to cut off the guides and clean the blank.

Start again and you will be in good shape.

Roger

Date: November 01, 2010 09:11PM

Roger,
I cut off one ferrule wrap after the alcohol evaporated and the blank was wet with finish - cut it is.
Thanks all.

Lane - 3 trout and one rat red.
Herb

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2010 09:13PM

Just for research sake why not put a good mix on one of the guides to answer your question?

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: November 01, 2010 11:27PM

Fred,
I thought about that - but the test would not prove to me that all wraps would act the same as the test - so cut I did.
Thanks all.
Herb

Date: November 02, 2010 01:19PM

Now I know what happened!!

I was going to test the supply of Diamond II to get a hint of what happened and found that the resin syringe (black) was frozen. So I can surmise from that that I used the hardener syringe (red) in the hardener supply - but I also used the resin (black) syringe in the hardener supply. Luckily I use small containers and I still have a "mother" supply. I discarded the small supply of both resin and hardener as well as the syringes.
Herb

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 02, 2010 09:25PM

mark the bottles and the syringe used with a marker. I do it when i get new with an - A - and a B so it is easy to get and use the correct one.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: November 02, 2010 09:57PM

Bill,
I have everything - containers & syringes color coded with Sharpies in bold strokes. Black for resin - red for hardener. I guess my mind wandered.
Herb

Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.trapac.com)
Date: November 03, 2010 02:55AM

Herb,
Get the inserts from Bullard....
That way the syringes never leave their bottles, not at the same time anyways, thus making a 'mix up' almost impossible.....

Date: November 03, 2010 07:30PM

Steven,
I'd figure out a way. But that is a good idea. I have to order more Dia. II anyway.
Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster