I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Blank weight question
Posted by: Thomas Brown (---.saw.usace.army.mil)
Date: November 01, 2010 12:41PM

New to rod building, Working on my 6th rod.

I have a question about Line weights for Rod Blanks. What is the difference in the stiffness of a 12-20lb compared to a 14-18lb? At first I thought about the taper, but they are both Fast blanks. I am comparing MB784-MHX to CAMO78M.

The reason I ask: I am building my nephew a rod for christmas, he asked for a 12-20, but I am going to build him a 14-18lb on a X-Camo blank because he likes to hunt. He is only 14, but he loves to fish. Honestly I think he just read 12-20 off of another rod he has.

Also the X-camo is 1/2 to 1 1/2oz, and the MHX is 3/16 to 1oz.

Thanks in advance,

Thomas

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Blank weight question
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2010 12:53PM

Thomas,
Materials, diameter and lay up.

Use a caliper to measure the same points on each of the rods. Generally - if the materials are similar and the layup is similar the heavier action rod, will be larger diameter at the same points on the rod.

Take care
Roger

Date: November 01, 2010 01:27PM

Thanks for the quick responce.
I have alot to learn about Rod building. The work of building a rod seems to be the easy part for me. Maybe not easy, but very enjoyable. Chosing the componets are alot harder. Picking a blank by looking at a bunch of numbers on the interent isn't the easiest thing to do. Any good books you can suggest on chosing a blank? Especially on the differences of materials, taper, sizes, lengths, and so on.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: November 01, 2010 02:07PM

Also check wall thickness. . Also materials used and how they are laid-out on a Mandrel or even cut to fit a mandrel. makes a large difference. This why it is hard to judge one manufactures blank from another.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 01, 2010 02:17PM

Action is where the rod initially flexes. Power is stiffness.

If the casting lure weight range is higher, and the line rating higher as well, that one will likely possess more power or be stiffer, regardless of the action being the same.

Remember also that the "fast, moderate, slow" action system possesses very limited resolution. Any rod that initially flexes in the upper 1/3rd will fall in to the "Fast" action category.

Date: November 01, 2010 03:46PM

Thanks for all the replies. I guess my question was: what is the difference between the Blanks when one is 14-18lb (average would be 16lb) and the other is 12-20 (average would again be 16lb). Is the material of the 12-20 is better giving it a wider range of line weight, or would they be close to the same power, and they are just rated differently by the manufaturer? Or would a wider range mean a lighter tip to handle lighter line and lures, and a heavy butt to still handle heavy loads?

I apologize for so many questions, but how else do you learn?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2010 03:46PM by Thomas Brown.

Date: November 01, 2010 04:32PM

Tom correct me if I am wrong, but each manufacture has their own rating. Also you need to know what type of was used. It is also like matching or comparing Apples and Oranges

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: November 01, 2010 04:44PM

Thomas -

Try asking how line ratings are determined for various blanks... that may be the answer you seek...

If you look at quite a few of the new factory bass rods coming out, they don't even list line ratings. Just list suggested technique for that blank, expecting the line used would fall in line with the technique - example - most guys aren't going to use 25# test with drop shot set ups.

Using the line rating may give you some inclination of power, but it really doesn't give you the whole picture, nor does it give you a fair comparison of what a 12 - 20# blank is with MHX vs 12 - 20# with St Croix. Same as saying two Medium Heavys compare equally between two brands or even between two different lines of the same brand.

If you ever take a blank and cross section it, you may find that wall thickness may change at various points, materials may change at various points, tapers may change at various points, etc... so not really sure how doing all that will help you figure out what to pick, especially with just really starting out.

Best way I have found to evenly compare is to put two blanks side by side with the same amount of weight and watch what happens. You learn a lot. Problem is that isn't economical for most and requires quite a few different blanks around.

Sorry I couldn't make the picture more clear for you. Hope I helped some. It's a muddy lake you're in. Looks like you want frogs on 50# braid and forget the rating!

-----------------
AD

Date: November 01, 2010 05:06PM

Line weight ratings are not terribly good indicators of a rod's power. Not always.

To find the more powerful blank within a maker's own product line (and category) use the last number of the model number - that's the power number. The higher the number the greater the power. Just remember you can't cross reference these between makes are they are not based on the same scale.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: November 01, 2010 05:12PM

Thomas -

As others have noted, generalized ratings such as 12-20#, Medium Heavy, Fast Action, etc. are subjective and vary by manufacturer AND peer group (freshwater, inshore, offshore, etc.). IMO, one of the best things you can do in the early stages of rod building is to gather information from other's "trials and errors". Use the search function on this board and use specific concepts - such as "frog rod", "shaky head", "inshore trout", etc. In addition, talking with a helpful pro at one of the suppliers to the left can make things easier as well.

Jim -

Posted by: Mike Pedersen (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2010 05:30PM

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: November 01, 2010 07:37PM

Thomas - To Tom's point - a 5 power is not an indication of the same power throughout a manufacturer - example - a 5 power Mag Bass is not going to be the same as a 5 power back bouncing blank from the same manufacturer - usually. Also your lure ratings for a back bouncing blank will most likely not be for casting because the rod was intended for a different use.

If you want to get in the blank comparison game - Backlash has an outstanding tool for this to put two blanks literally side by side.

The fun thing is you can do stuff like this and see the difference - [www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike - So true.

-----------------
AD

Date: November 02, 2010 07:56AM

Thanks, Guys. This is an awsome website. It's the only one I have been on where I can ask a question, to which there is no real answer, and get 9 replys in one day. I guess it sounds like to me I need to worry less about line weight, and more about use.

Posted by: Rick Heil (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2010 10:21PM

Hmm,

Great post and read i learn every day from reading the post on here and the responses. Just when you you think you got all the answers out there... BAM some one comes up with another great Idea, comment or constructive Intel. I Love it ! You all mentioned Line weight ratings and fast action med action ! I have been to allot of our sponsor sites about blanks... and some of you mentioned that manufactures have there own way of rating the action on there blanks. Its been a bit confusing for me and more of a hindrance when deciding on what brand and action to select. I like the idea of at-least knowing what your going to use the rod for first and the application intended.

My problem is... I know at-least three types of fishing rods I want to build...I have the three rods I have used for the past 10 years ...but the actions are not listed on the rods any more... they have all worn off or were never put on the rod in the first place. I don't even want to order blank without actually going to a place that carries blanks or rods to compare the actions too what I am looking for. They list all these blanks... but without actually picking one up and inspecting it to see if it is the right action and feel.... your basically buying blind if ordering from a catalog or some site. So any suggestions folks ?

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Posted by: Bill Hanneman (---.an4.den10.da.uu.net)
Date: November 03, 2010 11:14PM

Rick Heil Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
My problem is... I know at-least three types of fishing rods I want to build...I have the three rods I have used for the past 10 years ...but the
actions are not listed on the rods any more... they have all worn off or were never put on the rod in the first place. I don't even want to order blank without actually going to a place that carries blanks or rods to compare the actions too what I am looking for. They list all these blanks... but without actually picking one up and inspecting it to see if it is the right action and feel.... your basically buying blind if ordering from a catalog or some site.
So any suggestions folks ?

URRS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2010 11:17PM by Bill Hanneman.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: November 04, 2010 09:42AM

Since they are both Mudhole blanks, I bet they could give a definitive answer.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: November 04, 2010 10:13AM

Where is the URRS info on the MHXs and XCamo blanks? If you don't have that - you're back to ordering multiple blanks and hoping one works.

That's the biggest issue with recommending these systems. If you haven't had hands on a bunch of blanks to do measurements, it does you no good.

We're X years into the system being available and there is less specific rod data available than there was even a year ago. All that's publicly available is NFC - and even those are off line as of today.

-----------------
AD

Date: November 04, 2010 11:27AM

Same with the blank measurement device - if you don't already have the blanks in hand, it does you no good.

If every builder would request the ERN, AA, TP, etc., when they inquire about a blank, the manufacturers would soon all provide that information. Then you wouldn't have to have any of the blanks in hand.

Date: November 07, 2010 04:21PM

Where the problem lays is in a blanks construction. No 2 rods of the same model, series and construction and using the same materials from the same manufacture will not react the same. Some new builder believe there is a true difference between a casting blank an a spinning blank. In reality they are both the same. What you see on a label is a general description. Unfortunately unless you have a hands on, Your question can be answered only in general terms

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster