I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
I might try again
Posted by: Ed Long (---.ellijay.com)
Date: October 31, 2010 10:17AM

O.K. After being totally turned off by spending hundreds of dollars and much time to build 2 rods that that snapped like dry twigs for no good reason ,I am thinking about trying again. Is there a way to test a blank to see if it is going to hold together before I waste money on expensive guides and handles and stuff? If I buy a factory rod I know if there is a problem It will be replaced completely . With customs most companies say they will stand behind the blank( although some won't when it comes down to it) but if I have a $50 dollar set of guides on it when I send it back I will not see them again unless I look on @#$%&. It is not very comforting to be maybe reimbursed for a bad blank after spending money and time on components and return shipping that comes to a lot more than the value of a blank. If I wanted a spliced together repaired rod with a patch that negates the weight savings of expensive guides I would just buy a busted rod for pennies on the dollar to start with.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I might try again
Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: October 31, 2010 10:34AM

So what is the question other then the rant?

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Russell Brunt (12.77.249.---)
Date: October 31, 2010 11:00AM

Yes, it is called static testing. All rod builds should get one. It is the best way to decide guide placement.

I think you would be best served to determine why your other builds broke.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 31, 2010 11:06AM

Ed Long Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Is there a way to test a blank to see if it is going
to hold together before I waste money on expensive
guides and handles and stuff?
--------------------------------------------------------

Yes, but if your two rods "snapped like dry twigs" then the problem MAY not have been with the blank but with the fisherman(?) How were you fishing (technique etc.)? What pound test line? What was the blank rated for? Was the reel drag set correctly?

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 31, 2010 12:00PM

I don't think you will find very many on this site who will say that their custom builds "snap like dry twigs!" Sure, every now and then we get a rod that has broken, and in most cases it is due to "cockpit error" of the user, not the blank or build.

Before you even start to build out a blank, it should be closely examined for any nicks or cosmetic blemishes. It then should be flexed to a reasonable degree and static tested for guide placement. Passing these tests, you can be reasonably sure the blank is OK. After that, proper care in building and proper use by the fisherman should result in a satisfactory product.

Rods do not "snap like a twig" without a good reason!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2010 03:26PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 31, 2010 12:42PM

like said

What blanks and where did you get them

What were you doing when they broke - high sticking ? heavy then normal fish- pulling cause a snag

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: October 31, 2010 02:16PM

Think about this after a blank is completed how many people handle it. From the guys who put them in storage, shipping, shippers, receivers at suppliers, more storage, order department, more S&H then the customer/builder. along the way this blank may have been bruised, nicked, lightly crushed or abused in some manor. Once built the rod may have received a hook scratch, bumped into a tree limb bounced around in a boat. Be leave it or not more rods have been broken because the owner put in a gun hook in their Pick Up Truck. Always check your blank for any flaws before building an of-course stress test. Once completed now reinspect the rod then go fish. A couple of issues back there was a excellent article on why rods break and what these breaks look like. 98% of breakage is caused by the user

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 31, 2010 04:46PM

Less than 5% of broken blanks are due to defects. You are the major equation in how well and how long a blank holds up.

Date: October 31, 2010 06:20PM

NO graphite Rod is designed to be high sticked, it will break every-time!! Unless that graphite tube was designed to be used as a low water boat pusher, pool cue or Golf club. Fishing rods can not stand that type of abuse. Read my other post about why rod do break . I do agree with tom on his assessment. If you do not know how to fish with graphite the rod will bite you every-time. When were you ever told or instructed how to use a graphite rod when you bought one at a big box know it all store, How many know a rod gets softer, less sensitive and a little longer with use?

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 31, 2010 06:21PM

You said, "snapped like dry twigs". There are many reasons this can happen. One way is when a fisherman/woman changes fishing with Mono line that has a lot of stretch to fishing with Super Braid that has almost zero stretch. The hook setting method should change. You have to get over the huge hook setting stroke because of the Bungee cord effect to a shorter efficient stroke setting method or you will surely shatter your rod unless maybe it is a super limber rod like a Noodle rod.

Sometimes some of those "snapped like dry twig blanks" were damaged ( Like Bob Balcombe said) long before the incident by the rod being hit by someone else's rod, sinker, etc. or one of the many sharp corners on a boat. Following that incident the rod may have fished good, but the damage was done and continued to worsen as the fibers in that area continued to fail to the point that one day playing a "small fish" it just "Snapped", "I was hardly putting any pressure on it".

I am not saying this is what happened with your blanks/Rods. Maybe it was indeed a design/manufacturing flaw although I would thing this is a very small percentage of all the blanks produced.

Second, my experience is that the manufacturer should and will send you the new blank (if he feels it is their fault or is feeling real generous) free or if it is considered your fault from examining the break (see a past issue of Rodmaker discussing Rod breakage) for a modest fee, and he will also send back your old rod to harvest components. Of course there should be necessary information available to prove that it is one of their "Number One" blanks. Some require that their label furnished with the blank be on the rod even as in Sage's case that a ID chip is buried in the blank because they also donate to charities and other organizations like Youth and they do not want to replace freebie blanks.

Finally, if you are motivated and enjoy making your own Rods, don't be afraid to make another. However if you are not motivated and don't enjoy it then go buy a factory Rod.

Date: October 31, 2010 06:40PM

Kerry you made another great point!! Not knowing exactly where the break occurred, it could have been caused by a poor guide prep. Where a sharp conner of the guide dug in to the blank. Occasionally this happens with the pros. who build rods for a living. Just another of my 2 cents that will probably hit the round bucket, just food for thought. I agree you should continue building and question each procedure. Know-one does it right the first time. At one time or another We builder/designers have made every mistake in the book, that is why We came up with these possible causes.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Jeff Davis (---.jax.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 01, 2010 12:52AM

Like Bob, guide prep is needed to prevent breakage. Another point I didn't see mentioned is "thread tention". Too much tention when wrapping guides will cause a break as you described. Especially since you said that they snaped like twigs... Being your first two rods, make me thing "Tention".. Good luck,
Jeff

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2010 07:02AM

Ed, Please supply a little more info on the break. Such as where (ie. near a guide, at the handle) and location on the blank (ie.tip section, butt section) and the look of the fracture (was It splintered? clean break all around). And what was being done at the time of the failure (hook set, cast etc). This will make it possible to analyze the condition that caused the failure so you can take the proper steps to remedy the situation. I`m certain all will learn a little something from this when the info is provided.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: John Pope (205.171.62.---)
Date: November 01, 2010 11:29AM

you might try reading this article from the library as well [www.rodbuilding.org] really anyone that ever picks up a rod should read this first.

Date: November 01, 2010 12:51PM

Even if You never intend to build an other rod. You can take this info and use it when you purchase a off the shelf rod. Ever watch customers at a big box store handling rods. They over stress them, whip them around like buggy whips and of course they always are dropping them.

Good Wraps Bob

Date: November 01, 2010 04:38PM

Good point Jeff. Ed what were you doing when the rods broke?

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Ed Kindervater (---.co.chesterfield.va.us)
Date: November 01, 2010 04:55PM

If your worried about the guides cut them off before you send the blank back to the manufacturer. I have had to send a couple back and they told me to cut the guides off. I had one manufacturer just ask me to email them some pictures of the break got a new blank in 3-4 days. You might be out of the cost of the grips and reel seat but you should be able to salvage the guides.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (12.77.249.---)
Date: November 01, 2010 08:26PM

Gents, you might care to search on his name and see what blanks were involved and why they broke.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: November 01, 2010 09:18PM

Russ I came up with nothing! What did you find. You can email me

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Ed Long (---.ellijay.com)
Date: November 01, 2010 09:21PM

The first one broke when Sam lifted a crappy from the water. A crappy. Do you call that high sticking abuse? I don't . The second one broke when Sam was holding the rod by the handle and pulled on the line to observe where the rod flexed and how the guide location worked out . he did not pull the rod into a tight arc or anything of the sort. Despite the accusations and conclusions jumped to by some on this board ,neither rod was subjected to any treatment that should cause any rod to break as these did without them being inferior blanks to begin with. It was pointed out that the two part blank construction process used by the manufacturer was actually the cause of both blanks failing.Now all this has been hashed out in the past for you "gents" so here is some new information. I bought these blanks from someone that has been one of you "gents" for years on the forum on the buy/sell page of this forum. He knew he had some defective merchandise and unloaded on a gullible newcomer to the craft such as myself. I have not named names and don't intend to but research on the buy/sell page can divulge the culprit if any of you"gents" care to look.Because of my mistake of buying second hand cast offs from an unscrupulous seller ,I have no legitimate recourse to return the blanks to the manufacturer in my opinion. I took a chance trying to save some money and got burned. Lesson learned . Now this new post just asked a simple question to which static testing was the short answer. How to do this static testing would be the long answer which I suppose I can find for myself now that I at least have the term to work with. Thanks for your help,but I sure do seem to get attacked a lot on here .Maybe I should just lurk quietly and gain what I can that way and not attempt to contribute anything to any discussions ever. Both rods broke exactly 18 inches form the tip and neither had guide at that area. They did not break because of misuse, abuse , or error in the build up process. Have a good day"gents".

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster