I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Another Two Stupid Questions, I'm Sure...
Posted by: Richard Steiner (32.179.28.---)
Date: October 30, 2010 08:31PM

I have a client who wants an X-Camo Rod from the Mudhole. He has requested Hunters Orange (Blaze Orange) for the guide wraps. I ordered what I thought was blaze orange. Upon receipt of the thread I have discovered it NOT to be what I wanted. More color issues. (see earlier post) Close but not it. I decided to go to an embroidery shop and see what my options were locally and also get a feel for the prices. I was told they had Medeira thread. WRONG. Turns out the embroidery cultists around town greatly dislike the Medeira thread because "it doesn't flow properly off the spool." Something about the way its spooled. NO IDEA! I think the speed of which the embroidery machines use thread as compared to the speed of which my fat little fingers use thread, makes this a problem for them and not for "us." The woman at the store did have some Madeira thread "samples" (100yd spool) on clearance for $0.99 and the right color, but it was Rayon. Will this work? I have looked all over and can't find anyone using Rayon. This is not a coincidence I'm sure! So, My question is... Why not? Also, they have an enormous supply of Robison Anton Polyester thread. Can this be used? I hope so because they have every single color in Robison Anton's arsenal in stock. A few things to keep in mind when replying to this post; 1. I'm really new at this. 2. I am really really new at this. and 3. I'm obviously not that intelligent because I chose rodbuilding, of all things, as a "hobby" and it has totally consumed me. (Although it is nice to actually grind out a few pennies doing something i truly enjoy. Can't say that about fishing, that's for sure.) Thanks in advance Gentlemen!

Sent From R.J. Steiner's iPhone. (While I'm on the Crapper)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another Two Stupid Questions, I'm Sure...
Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.14.89.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 30, 2010 09:01PM

I would not use rayon, heard all sorts of horror stories about it.
If you have a Jo-ann's or a Hancock Fabric store, they should have Coates and Clarke Trilobal polyester, 40 wt. I use that almost exclusively these days, and they have a wide range in the orange spectrum.
I've never had a bit of trouble with it being siliconized. You would have that problem with Madeira, and need to use CP with it.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 31, 2010 09:03AM

Richard,
Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question.
All that there is - is a simple lack of knowledge.

Answering questions is what this forum is all about.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (199.117.182.---)
Date: October 31, 2010 09:20AM

I'd find a fabric store and pick up a a single same color of each brand, throw down a centimeter wrap on the butt section where the handle will be covering the blank when you build it and test each one. I put down wraps next to each other and use one brush width to apply CP to half of each wrap, then finish over it to see which brands will work with finish, and which will work with CP and finish.

So far, I have not found anything that has worked well for me besides the metallic stuff there and that's just for trim bands, it seems to be weak on the strength end of the spectrum. But you should try it to see what you get, I found one brand, forgot the name of it, that would work in a pinch, but I try to keep my thread supplies ahead of my game.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2010 09:52AM

you can always use another color thread for the guide wraps and either paint the wrap or tint the epoxy like marbling to get the color you want

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 31, 2010 11:09AM

Richard,
If you order two or three spools of the color that you think is close, I expect that you will get what you need from Mudhole.
It looks like one of the reds will be about ideal for you.

Remember, you need to put a coat of finish on these threads or just wet them down good with alcohol to see what the final color will look like.

Take a look at some of the red thread rather than the orange thread, and I expect that you will be closer to what you need.

[www.mudhole.com]

Roger

Although rayon, and or polyster thread can work fine for rod building, I prefer the use of Nylon due to its stretch properties, that aren't present in either rayon or polyster thread.
With a thread that has a bit of stretch, I think you get a tighter and finer wrap.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 31, 2010 01:06PM

In mud holes ProWrap the 213/216 seem to be close. White under will lighten them and a dark blank will darken them.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: October 31, 2010 01:53PM

I would go with Mudhole 225 neon orange. and use a C.P.

Posted by: Richard Steiner (---.hsd1.al.comcast.net)
Date: October 31, 2010 01:53PM

So let me get this straight... I can use the rayon according to at least one response, but at least one responder wouldn't recommend using it. I should however test it out before use, both with and without CP. I can lighten the shade of the finished product by painting it white. OK I think this is what I will do, 1. Wrap a Blank with the rayon madeira then with the poly robison anton. Coat half of each with CP then do the same thing with a white section.. Thanks. I'll be heading back to the real job tomorrow (Driving the big boat) Internet is sketchy at best but I'll try to stay in touch and maybe post a pic or 2. I'll be back to regulat internet in 2-3 weeks. Have fun guys.

Sent From R.J. Steiner's iPhone. (While I'm on the Crapper)

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 31, 2010 02:01PM

IMO -

Best to stick with Nylon whenever possible for the "blaze orange" you probably ought to look at NCP thread. That should also save you the step of painting the blank white.

Rayon = no because 1/ it tends to fray and 2 because it is not intertwined like nylon

Polyester = definite for trims and decorative wraps (but check for silicons on some eg: Madiera and some of the Robision Anton (best to CP or test the thread on scrap) I've had problems with polyester loosening on guide wraps - need to find a balance between tension and breaking the thread when wrapping.

Trilobial Polyester = Yes (again check for silicon)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 31, 2010 02:44PM

I Googled up your hunters orange and with a small window placed it on the ProWrap color chart. That is how I got the two colors.

get all three. Pack well - two good coats of CP I have done it with yellows and they came out nice.

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2010 03:02PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 31, 2010 06:28PM

besides the durability, you will find that it is much harder to lay down a nice wrap with a non stretching thread like rayon. Finally think about this, How many Rodbuilding supply places sell Rayon? That should tell you something about it.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2010 10:40PM

Coats and Clark Trilobal wraps easily for me. haven't tried blaze orange but spark gold with CP stays very bright. I tested with wraps on a graphite arrow shaft first.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: Garrett Adams (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 04, 2010 07:14PM

guedbrod neon blazing orange #521 (if you can find it) is perfect for what you want to do.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster