I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for cheap long fly blanks
Posted by: Charles Isely (---.lightspeed.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 28, 2010 12:22PM

I have just completed my first build and for my second rod I needed a looong blank, like a low weight spey /switch blank, I am trying to keep it under $100. If anyone can give me some suggestions I would appreciate it.

thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for cheap long fly blanks
Posted by: Walt Natzke (170.146.227.---)
Date: October 28, 2010 12:27PM

Batson has what you are looking for:
[batsonenterprises.com]

You can purchase through any number of the sponsors on the left, Utmost Enterprises being one of them.

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 28, 2010 01:52PM

Contact Johnny Kuehn at Angler's Roost. He called to tell me he just got in some 14' 4 piece spey rods to add to those already listed on his site

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2010 01:54PM by Ken Preston.

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2010 04:38PM

I think Angler's Roost has a variety of blanks between 11 and 14 feet. Check the graphite blanks section for the 10 and 11 footers and the spey blanks for the longer ones. He also has some bamboo spey blanks.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: October 29, 2010 10:51AM

I have made a number of the Batson switch blanks at 10'8" and they are sweet. My latest one is a 7wt and with a 372gn 20' head it is a cannon! Not sure what you are looking for you need to be a little more specific becasue there are a TON of rods that fall into the long catagory. If you provide some more information I know you will get good information here.

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.br1.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 30, 2010 12:13PM

Maybe check out dorber.com
I just called them to suggest they look into being a sponsor here. But the phone said "pls enter your mailbox number"
dunno what's up with that
anyway.....they have blanks at 10'
don't remember if they go longer.......

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: October 30, 2010 12:56PM

Batson had a built Rainshadow 10'8' 5 wt switch at the West Coast show, and I test cast it. It casts fine just like a single handed rod with a 5wt line. In fact, I easily cast past the end of the little "pond" within a couple minutes.Then I ran over and bought a blank there from @#$%& for under $100.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: October 30, 2010 07:22PM

What is your price range and what fish are you targeting and what wt. are you looking at. When you say cheap, to me it means a inferior blank. Batson has the best products around for the price. Where you are going to find a price difference is in the shipping & handling. I would Check with Utmost on the left, They can get any Batson product ASP. They are located one mile from Batson

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Charles Isely (---.lightspeed.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 31, 2010 04:45AM

Thanks for all the info, I am actually planning on building a fly rod for (don't laugh,OK laugh) pondfishing. There are about a dozen ponds within walking distance of my place. I have just started flyfishing them, and in a lot of cases if I had a couple extra feet in rod length I would not have to cast at all.

Charles

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster