I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ink for hidden article
Posted by: Mark Clooten (---.dualrack.com)
Date: October 25, 2010 04:24PM

OK so I read the article on the hidden UV ink but my question is if the ink will glow under UV light will it glow under the Sun? Is the Sun also UV light?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ink for hidden article
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 25, 2010 04:57PM

Mark,

The sun's spectrum includes UV light, but not enough to make UV sensitive material glow under sunlight. You need more UV light per unit area than the sun provides. The use of a black light will provide enough UV light to make the UV sensitive materials glow.

Joe

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: October 25, 2010 06:26PM

What is this for???

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: October 25, 2010 06:37PM

What is this for???

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: October 25, 2010 08:01PM

This applies to an article in the latest rodmaker magazine. It is a good one and well worth the subscription.

Date: October 25, 2010 08:04PM

A side note. Tom McNamara bought several of my rods at the show last year and I understand he was going to put them in the showcase of numerous rods from many different builders in the Mudhole showcase. I will give an SBSS to anyone that can find the rod in that showcase that has the uv markings on it. Send me a picture of yourself with the rod.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.orlando-03rh16rt-04rh15rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: October 26, 2010 09:20AM

This article really got my interest up. I ordered two pens yesterday and will get to work as soon as they come in. I've been thinking that these may have more applications than just the security issues mentioned in the article. Very interesting concept and it brings to mind all the things that custom builders can offer their customers over a factory rod.

We talk about competing with factory made rods but really, how can the factories even begin to compete with custom rod builders? Dollar for dollar we can offer a lot of things they can't. Retrieval and rescue devices, security features, Kayak lease attachment loops, custom handles for better fit, and oh yeah, all the additional performance that no factory rods can match. I think if more builders would make "packages" of some of these features standard on their custom rods they would find that most customers would find it a no brainer to buy custom over factory every time.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 26, 2010 10:26AM

When I began working on this project about a year ago, I discussed it with J.P. Timberlake. He started his own experiments with the UV pens and found that in bright sunlight, the ink he was using would tend to show up. My experience was just the opposite - the ink in my pens won’t show more than a very subtle mark in even the brightest sunlight. They require one of the special UV lights to make them glow.

What we determined is that it all comes down to the particular brand UV ink pen you’re using. And the trouble is, none of the pens that either one of us has used has any sort of manufacturer identification on it so being able to recommend one over another isn’t yet possible.

My advice is to try or buy several from different sources. The last ones I got from the Blacklight shop don’t show up in sunlight. At least not enough that the casual observer would ever notice in the least. These pens are also sold at hobby and craft stores, Office Depot, Staples, etc. You’ll just have to experiment with a few and when you find one that stays hidden in everything except under the special UV light, buy several and put them back.

The article has several ideas for good ways to use the technique but there are doubtless others that will come to light (no pun intended) once more and more rod builders experiment with them a bit.

Posted by: Dave Barrett (---.ma.emulex.com)
Date: October 26, 2010 11:42AM

I hate it when you guys start discussing stuff like this from the magazine and my issue hasn't arrived yet!

I feel SOOOO deprived!

Date: October 26, 2010 11:56AM

i did notice when I experimented that a gloss vs matte finish gave slightly differing results in seeing it in sunlight. I think putting it on a guide wrap would eliminate this descrepancy and provide more consistent results.

Posted by: Richard Steiner (---.hsd1.al.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2010 08:56AM

[www.amazon.com] just bought this heading out in search of the rod.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 28, 2010 10:53AM

Sources were provided in the article.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster