I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

2 piece rod alignment
Posted by: ken khoo (---.052.dsl.pth.iprimus.net.au)
Date: October 23, 2010 01:03AM

I'm building a couple of 8 foot 2 piece rods based on a 250/2 Purglas blank. Now I've bound the guides on the top tip half of the blank. Purglas blanks ferrules are spigot type. My question is how to determine where the butt guide and reel seat will go on the butt half of the blank. You see the thing is that I've had a bad experience with a glass to glass ferrule in that after binding all the guides and gluing the reel seat the top half moved under pressure. There was a sweet spot for the ferrule. Luckily I had used a metal reel seat so I could remove it and reglue to the better position. I also bear in mind that that fibreglass blank was a cheapy and not up the quality of Purglas. Also the glass ferrule was tapered whereas the Purglas I think is not. Even so the fact that rods have spines leads me to question whether there is a sweet spot for ferrules which for the Purglas is a carbon fibre one. The old metal ferrules are irrelevant in this context.

Anyone had experience of the top half twisting around to a sweet spot?

Is there a way to determine where that spot is other than finishing and using the rod? If I have to do this then I will just temporarily bind on a reel seat such as Fuji's plate seat (thank goodness I have a spare) or the reel itself. May have to do this just for my piece of mind anyway.

ken

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2 piece rod alignment
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 23, 2010 08:22AM

Myself I find the spine for each section. Then put the piece together and check for the overall spine. Then I lay out my components. I would not have wrapped the guides on the tip section as of yet myself.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2010 08:53AM

Ken,
Just find the straighest spine on the rod and align the guides on it.

Roger

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 23, 2010 09:56AM

The problem is poor ferrule fit, not spine. If these are spinning rods, then the lever arm effect means the tip will attempt to twist a little when you cast. If they're casting rods, the tips will attempt to twist when fighting a fish.

Unless you have a good, tight ferrule fit, you won't be able to overcome this scenario.

Posted by: Lou Auret (---.sip.mem.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 23, 2010 09:58AM

On a multi piece rod i like to join the pieces by pushing the pieces together but off by 90 degrees. Then the last bit twist clockwise so they are no longer off. Sort of screw them together if that makes sense. I make alignment marks with feather hackles or little decal dots. This twisting stops what you are referring to and over a few years fishing actually wears a very slight thread where they join. Of course to take apart you need to twist als in the opposite direction. Seems to also stop the two parts coming lose so often while fishing.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 23, 2010 10:18AM

it is called the Bayonet Twist. Try a search on it.

A spiral wrap may help.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 24, 2010 08:01AM

Tom is right - bad ferrule fit. Ferrules are not supposed to have a "sweet-spot".
Herb

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 24, 2010 01:58PM

Get your blanks from the guys on the left. Then they will fit correctly.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mark Clooten (---.dualrack.com)
Date: October 25, 2010 04:22PM

Make sure the pieces are clean so they fit like they supposed to.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster