I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ice Rod Blank
Posted by: Josh Caroon (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: October 23, 2010 01:00AM

Someone wants me to build him an ice rod to match one he already has. I know its G Loomis blank that he described as "a bit faster action with a good strong backbone".

I am under the impression that G. Loomis blanks are no longer available but I'm wondering if you guys know of something that could fit this description. He uses it for panfish.

I have a few ice rod blanks but the are el cheepo's off of @#$%& and I dont know very much about them since I've never built or fished one.

Any suggestions on where to look for a blank like this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ice Rod Blank
Posted by: scott besse (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2010 02:00AM

[www.thornebros.com] best icefishing blanks made.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2010 06:22AM

Josh,
I have to 2nd Scotts note about thorne brothers.
The blanks are expensive, but they are about the best blanks on the market.

They are also custom ground to really meet the needs of the fisherman. If you have any questions at all, just give Thorne Brothers a call about selecting a specific blank and they will get the right one for the intended fishing need.

Roger

Posted by: Wade White (---.dsl.iowatelecom.net)
Date: October 23, 2010 09:05AM

Midwest Rod and Reel get my nod. Their UL blanks I don't need a spring bobber for, fast action nice backbone solid graphite, not to mention a nice price point.

They're also a sponsor of this site.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2010 09:09AM by Wade White.

Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2010 09:25AM

Definitely get in touch with Midwest Rod & Reel. I've built a ton of ice rods on their blanks, and they're awesome. Plus they're about 1/3 the cost of the Thorne Bros.

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Posted by: Bill Pulk-Midwest rod and reel (70.97.195.---)
Date: October 23, 2010 03:35PM

THANKS AARON AND WADE...WE HAVE UL IN STOCK NOW AND SHOULD HAVE THE ML AND MED IN ABOUT A WEEK OR SO...I'LL MAKE A POST WHEN THEY GET HERE

Bill@midwestrodandreel.com
www.midwestrodandreel.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2010 10:43PM

Bill,
It would be really nice if you could get in blanks with your current actions, but in a longer length, like 36 or 48 inches. Then if a person didn't need the length, one could always trim the blanks. I have quite a few customers who fish outside that like blanks that are longer than the typical 22-26 inches.

Thanks much
Roger

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: October 25, 2010 10:50AM

Bill

I'll echo Roger's comments regarding lengths. I'd like to see more companies offer that.

Most ice blanks are too short. Many are too soft.

Fishing 15 pound Lake Trout 100' down doesn't really work out very well with most every ice blank made. Consequently most of my Laker and Pike rods are made from 6' rod blanks, cutting out the desired section to get 36" - 42" rods. Walleye rods as well.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Josh Caroon (---.ideaone.net)
Date: October 27, 2010 02:20PM

Sorry for the delay in my response. I ended up ordering a thorne bros blank. I talked to the guy who wants the rod and he likes their blanks. Thanks for the feedback, I think I might order one from Midwest Rod and Reel and build one of those too.

Thanks again!

Posted by: Bill Pulk-Midwest rod and reel (70.97.195.---)
Date: October 30, 2010 03:56PM

HI ALL...WE WILL HAVE THE ICE ROD BLANKS IN EARLY NEXT WEEK...28 INCH MED AND ML...JUST GOT SHIPPING INFO FROM SUPPLIER

Bill@midwestrodandreel.com
www.midwestrodandreel.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster