I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thank you to forum members/question
Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: October 21, 2010 03:30AM

Newbie here--

I spent the last 2 months reading this forum from the start. Almost 10 years worth of posts. I looked at every page and read every thread with more than 5-6 responses or a topic that interested me. I feel like I got a good overview of the issues in rodbuilding and enough info to get started. So thank you to all who have contributed over the years. There is a surprising depth of information here, so thank you to everyone.

I got interested in rodbuilding when I bought a custom built Sage z-axis this year, and thought I could do that. (Super happy with that rod, by the way). I've been fly fishing about 15 years and have a variety of factory rods from most of the US companies.

I have also built 2 spinning rods-both Salmon rods on Batson Rainshadow RX7 blanks(IST1085 and IST1025). The second came out nearly perfect, and I plan to give it away as a gift to one of my fishing buddy's who broke his rod on the last day of our Alaska trip this year. I used a set of Batson VS3 guides on one and a set of Fuji Alconites on the other. Really liked the VS3 guides. I set up the second rod using the New Guide Concept articles in the library section.

Anyway, I'm about to build a fly rod for me. There is a well known supplier running a special of the Batson RX8+ fly blanks/kits and I bought one today. I go to Alaska every year fly fishing for Coho's and will use this rod for that, and to fish for some local Steelhead and stripers that run in the American River behind my house. Based on info I learned here, I plan to use American Tackle titanium ring lock guides 16-12-10-8-7-7-7-7-7-7 + top on an 8 weight Rainshadow RX8+. I'm looking for feedback. Will this work well for Silvers fishing a weighted sinking line? Are my choices good ones? I picked the ring lock guides solely based on the responses and discussion contributed by the American Tackle company on this board and their representative I met at the West Coast Rod show in Pasadena. All my other rods use wire guides, and I wanted to try out ceramic guides on a fly rod. I am open minded to all suggestions.

Drew
Sacramento, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2010 03:53AM by Drew Pollock.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thank you to forum members/question
Posted by: Andrew Metzger (199.117.182.---)
Date: October 21, 2010 06:42AM

Sounds like you got it. I used Pac Bay Minima fly guides on my 8wt based upon the recommendation of folks not necessarily affiliated with Pac Bay, and the price was right.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 21, 2010 07:54AM

It will work. Just drop a few of those sizes. Try 16 - 10 and then 7's on out to the tip. That will give you a straighter line path and less weight.

Posted by: Bruce Johnstone (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: October 21, 2010 08:31AM

I used fuji BNLG12, 10 and BLG6's to a #6 tip on a St Croix 8 wt I built several years ago for Steelhead on the lower Deschutes. Handles the wind well casts as far as I want. I really like the ceramic's. I've seen no wear on the tip. My stainless tips on some of my lighter rods are showing some wear after about the same use.

Date: October 21, 2010 12:10PM

Thank you! I was hoping the size 7 was OK. I picked it by buying 1 each of 10 through 6 sizes and eyeballing it. It came down to 8s or 7s, and then I ran into many posts that suggested to go as small as possible and so I chose the 7s, The 6s just looked small with the line + nail knot. I'll order a few extra 7s. Looking forward to getting started.

Drew

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: October 21, 2010 12:27PM

Drew,
Thank you for your support of the Batson Product lines>>Rainshadow/Forecast/ALPS>> You will not be disappointed with your choice. If you ever have any questions in regards to our product lines please feel free to contact us directly>>We are all passionate rod builders and fisherman...

The Batson TEAM
877-875-2381
www.batsonenterprises.com
batson@batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: October 21, 2010 01:38PM

Drew You have to make it to WA in April. I believe this well be our 7th year at Lamiglas. In the past there have been rod builders from all over the US giving demos. What also makes this great is that there is always many suppliers there explaining there product line. Like Bill and Kerry Batson from Batson's, American Tackle, PacBay, Ralph OQuinn from Trondak, Silva Davis from Bullard finishes. Just to name a few. If I left someone out I apologize (please chime in). There are a few guys/gals from the Sac. and Bay Area that come. I lived in the Bay Area for 20 pluse years did stripper, Sturgeon and Salmon out of the Gate. If you can make it up in April, contact Kendra at Lamiglas and get on her Email list. In the past a lucky 50 will get to build their own blank from start to finish, Which means you cut fabric, tack to mandrels, roll onto mandrels, wrap cellophane, sand and color coat. the only thing you are not allowed to do is place them in the oven or remove the blank from the mandrel. It is a 3 day event if you build a rod. If not it is a 2 day

Good Wraps Bob

Date: October 21, 2010 01:43PM

Your email was hidden. You have joined a great group of sharing guys, Welcome on board. PS I am known as the wost gramer/speller here. Just ask Tom and Emory LOL

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: October 21, 2010 02:15PM

Sturgeon and salmon I understand Bob...........it's the stripper I'm not familar with, is it a San Francisco bay thing?? See ya in Woodland!

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net)
Date: October 21, 2010 02:15PM

Drew, It will work great for silvers. It will be an awesome striper rod with a shooting head for the Delta, too. I'm surprised the size 6 guides seemed small, but some of those loop to loops on the shooting heads do get pretty bulky. Have fun.

Greg

Date: October 21, 2010 02:50PM

Email hidden? I'll have to look at how I registered. Thanks for letting me know. Spell check has saved me, or I'd give anyone a run for their money in that regard.
>Edit: email unhidden<

Washington in April could work. Is there more info on the web about that? I have a flexible work schedule and love a good road trip! I totally like the idea of going through the process-ie the Lamiglas factory. I saw a short film on TV about how rod blanks are made-I think it was at the Sage factory but I could be wrong.

I have a brother in Charlotte NC and so a visit to High Point is not out of the question either.

Regarding Batson products--I had never heard of Batson before reading this forum-now their catalog is on my night stand for bedtime reading, I've stood in their booth in Pasadena and I'm wearing one of their hats right now! LOL. I've ordered the blanks and components that I have used from Utmost enterprises. Stuff makes it from there to Sacramento in 2 days so that's a good connection.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2010 02:54PM by Drew Pollock.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: October 21, 2010 03:04PM

welcome. I tip my hat to you for reading the information already present on this site. I agree with the recommendations for using the minima guides. you should be able to use size 6 or even 5 witht he minimas depending on your knot set up. I would also recommend a carbon fiber grip for your flyrod. you would not believe the difference it will make. it will allow you to feel every nuance of the rod and i think they look good as well. good luck and plan on attending the ICRBE if you can. you will see and learn more in one weekend than you can imagine.

Date: October 21, 2010 03:15PM

Drew you have to get hold of Kendra at Lamiglas ahead of time, Then at a latter date she will contact you, before it goes on line. Uncle Mick an Carol are also Batson's. I live about a hour an half from Batson's, Utmost and PackBay. Also I am about the same distance from Anglers Workshop and Lamiglas, Squim is North of me and Woodland is South of me. PortLand OR. is about 30 minutes South of Woodland, WA. Woodland is right off of I-5

Good Wraps Bob

Date: October 21, 2010 03:18PM

John with all your knowledge you got to make it to WA in the near future

Good Wraps Bob

Date: October 21, 2010 03:30PM

Grant read between the line. Wife coming room. I the old days mid 60's Broadway was the best place to troll LOL They liked to hit of a flash of green flasher HUMMMMLOL

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster