I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

eopxy (epoxy)
Posted by: Tom St.Clair (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 17, 2010 02:24PM

I have been looking for epoxy at the lpcal stores, Loews, Menards, Ace Hardware. I am un able to find "regular set". I can find 5 min, I can find 1 hour "jell", grey marine and several others. Does anyone know where I can find "plain old epoxy" the 12 or 24 hour cure?

I am going to use it for the handle, reel seat and tip.

thanks in advance
tom

--------------------------------

tom in indy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2010 02:24PM by Tom St.Clair.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: eopxy (epoxy)
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 17, 2010 02:41PM

Tom -
As long as the glue will not be visible the PC series (4,7,8) will work. You just have to remember that it will dry white, grey or black.

Posted by: Tom St.Clair (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 17, 2010 02:46PM

Ken Preston Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tom -
> As long as the glue will not be visible the PC
> series (4,7,8) will work. You just have to
> remember that it will dry white, grey or black.

If I am gluing up cork rings it "should not show" however there is a thin line, would you use the white?

--------------------------------

tom in indy

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 17, 2010 02:53PM

The line will show if you use any colored adhesive.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 17, 2010 03:16PM

I would recommend against using any thick, paste type epoxy. They're made for gap filling purposes, not for sure where close fitting assemblies are the norm.

Devcon 2-ton slow cure epoxy is pretty common and will be fine.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 17, 2010 08:52PM

For gluing up rings, I prefer Titebond II or III. Works GREAT and no lines

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.orlando-21rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: October 18, 2010 02:17PM

Titebond for me, but keep in mind that it will corrode steel mandrels if left on them for too long. Get the grip turned and removed within a day.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 19, 2010 12:26AM

Tom,
I have been using "power poxy" for the last several years for rod building. It is a 30 minute cure, that is sold in 1 lb tubs of part A and part B.

This makes the epoxy very cost effective and easy to use. I found a couple of large syringers that are 1 1/2 inches in diameter, and cut the tips off of the end. Then, I drilled out the ends of the syringes to about 3/16ths of an inch to allow for easy @#$%& and dispersal of the glue from the tubs. Virtually no waste that way.

For the last several years, this epoxy was available at the local home building center for just over $10.

Unfortunately the company was purchased by another company and some of its product line was changed.

However, I did find a source for the same epoxy at a reasonable price considering the amount of epoxy that you are getting in the pair of tubs:

You might pick up a lb or two and give the glue a try. I suspect that you will be well satisfied with the glue and all of its properties.

Take care
Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2010 01:35PM by Tom Kirkman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster