I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

offset
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 17, 2010 10:47AM

with a level wind reel, on a spiral wrap, will it be necessary to off set the butt guide?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: offset
Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: October 17, 2010 11:39AM

no

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 17, 2010 02:30PM

offset?
maybe/maybe not

On bass rods, I always offset mine a few degrees in the direction of the spiral. and always spiral towards the handle side

On some salt water rods with wide spooled reels and no line guides, sometimes it is beneficial to offset in the direction opposite of the spiral. So the thumb of the hand that holds the rod can push the line to the opposite side of the spool, while the offset guide naturally brings it back o the other end
If you are interested; email me and I will send you the recipe I use for spiral wraps

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 17, 2010 03:21PM

If you're pulling hard running crankbaits, you may find the line to stack heavy to one side of the spool. If that turns out to be the case, you want to offset the butt guide away from the side you spiral to in order that the line come onto the spool from an exact 0 degrees.

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 17, 2010 05:09PM

This reel and rod is primarily is going to used for pitching and maybe some casting with like 3/8 to ounce lures. would i need to offset because o this?

Date: October 17, 2010 05:13PM

Not unless during your testing you find the line stacks heavy to one side of the reel.

Date: October 17, 2010 06:07PM

How will it stack to one side with a levelwind?

Date: October 17, 2010 06:48PM

Been using an offset stripper guide setup for many years, on every spiraled wrapped bass rod I've built regardless of the technique.

Including deep diving hard pulling crank baits and have personally never witnessed the stripper guide's ability to override the reel's line guide when it comes to distributing the line across the face of the spool.

The only time I've seen line stack up on one side of a spool, has been the times when I leave my thumb on the spool while pitching. The cause being my thumb preventing the line from freely moving back and forth with the line guide, and having nothing to do with the stripper guide.
This is easily corrected by casting and reeling back in with out my thumb on the spool.

It may have been a problem in the past with the older wider reels but not any thing I've seen.

Date: October 17, 2010 07:21PM

Because a bit of side pressure causes the level wind mechanism to very briefly hesitate on the side of the spiral. That's all it takes to make line stack heavy on that side. This is the very reason that the Forhan type Revolver spiral requires the butt guide to offset to the side opposite the spiral. It doesn't happen with all reels nor with all lures. But it does happen with some. This is why folks should test things for themselves first, and do whatever is necessary to stem such situations from happening.

Date: October 17, 2010 08:03PM

I have recently changed to the NZ Spiral wrap and I am getting great results with that!! You are correct, people need to try the one that works for them best and roll with it!!

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 17, 2010 08:55PM

NZ????? Can you describe that one?

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2010 08:55PM by Mike Barkley.

Date: October 18, 2010 08:18AM

0,0,45, 135, and the rest at 180.

By having the first 2 guides on the 0 axis, it prevents line from gathering at the sides of the reel.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 18, 2010 05:11PM

Lorenzo,
With every spiral wrapped rod that I have used - when testing with a dozen different reels, I have found that I get line stacking on one side of the reel - unless I offset the first guide 5-10 degrees, depending on the rod.

The line stacking doesn't happen on the cast, it only happens on the relatively limp line retreive.

The easy way to check for it, is to simply put your reel of choice in the reel seat with the guides taped into their initial temporary postion.

Pull about 200 feet of line off the reel and let lay on the floor in front of the rod.

Then, just put slight tension on the line - from in front of the tip and retreive the line. See if the line stacks uniformly on the reel, or if it stacks to one side or the other. If so, change the angular orientation of the first guide until it no longer stacks non uniformly on the reel. Note, you change the orientation on the first guide, you may also find that you get a better line flow by also tweaking the 2nd guide a few degrees as well.

You may be able to use a 0 degree setup on the first guide with your particular rod and reel and the rest of the guides. But if not, just tweak the angular orientation of the guide or guides as necessary to get uniform line stacking on the reel.

Take care
Roger

Date: October 18, 2010 06:28PM

So there you have it Lorenzo;

Tom’s experience; has it happening with hard pulling baits.

Mine is; not having it happen at all
And
Roger’s; having it happen on limp line retrieves.

I would say the best advice you’ve received yet; is to test things out for yourself and decide which setup works best for you. Based on the experiences you perceive.

But then our experiences may have something to do with the different setups we use as well.

Date: October 18, 2010 06:33PM

Kevin has a nice set up there. In fact, you could put the second 0 degree guide just an inch past the first one and it would have the same effect.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 19, 2010 11:35AM

Thanks, Kevin. I like it! Just Curious though, what does NZ stand for?

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: October 19, 2010 04:17PM

New Zealand.......... Its also called the Antacid wrap. I didn't have anything to do with the design of it. The whacky Kiwi's down under deserve all the credit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster