I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

test casting
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2010 11:43AM

After placing all of the guides on an spiral wrap say a roberts spiral wrap, what should i look for when i am test casting as in looking for a better set up? The rod is a heavy, fast action,7'10" pitching rod.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: test casting
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2010 11:10PM

Lorenzo,
Just a couple of thoughts:
1. I am first concerned with the way that the line leaves the reel and goes through the guides. Is there any line slap anywhere, is the line shooting off the reel smoothly, with virtually no line contact on any of the guides.

2. Are you satisfied with the casting distance - compared to similar action blanks, with the same casting weight and the same length rods?

3. If you reel in the line on a relatively slack line, does the line spool evenly back on the reel. If the stripper and other guides are not set up correctly - i..e. correct angular orientation, you may end up with line stacking on one side or the other side of hte reel.

4. If, when you retreive line on a tight line - as you would be when fighting a fish, do you have nice rod flex, good blank loading (i.e. nice even rod flex with a good line follow of the deflected blank? )
When you are retreiving the line on a tight line - do all of the guides take the pressure of the taunt line evenly, or is there one or more guides that aren't doing their share of the work?

Take care
Roger

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster