I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Customer Complaint- How would you handle it?
Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 15, 2010 02:25PM

I just got a call from a customer who ordered two St. Croix's from me. He talked alot about St. Croix when he ordered the rods so I assumed he was familiar with them. The issue is that he specifically wanted a 7'3" MLXF rod. I told him his options were a 5S76MLXF-2 or a 3S76MLXF cut down by 3". He ordered the 3S rod because he hates 2 piece rods.

The rods arrived at his place today and he called very upset that he got the 3S rod. He said he was clear that he wanted a 5S rod...I said no, you chose the 3S because it was one piece. I had the emails to show him. It all comes down to a misunderstanding- I thought he knew what he was getting when he chose the blank and he thought he knew what he was getting also. He wanted a refund for the difference in the rods even though we agreed on a set price at the beginning and he said that I was trying to deceive him (which obviously was not the case).

How would you handle this?

I chose to sincerely apologize because I felt terrible. I told him that the misunderstanding was my fault and that I should have been more clear on what he was getting and that I would pay him the difference between the two rod blanks. As an up and coming rod builder, I can't afford negative word of mouth.

jeremy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Customer Complaint- How would you handle it?
Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: October 15, 2010 03:18PM

First of all I hated doing business over the phone, with a new customer. No matter what there seams to be a misunderstanding. In todays electronic world, any conversations over a phone I would record, with the customers knowledge. Next you have emails. I would make a list of his/her wants and also Make a list what you can do, Then make sure they understand the Pros/Cons to any modifications made to the blank. It all that is agreeable have him make a copy, sign it and send it with a check for the agreed up on price. You should also have in writing your warrenty

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 15, 2010 03:23PM

IF you have e-mails to show him what he agreed on then I'd tell him to find someone else to buy that rod off him and he can order another rod from you. In that situation I wouldn't take a loss, nor would I think it's my fault. YOu have written proof what you both agreed on. Especially when he said you're trying to decieve him, I rather have bad word of mouth than to give somone lik that a dime. He's probably going to badmouth you anyway.

Date: October 15, 2010 03:48PM

Billy It sounds like the whole deal was done over a phone call. That is why I mentioned recording or emails. You know as will as I do there a lot of well read people out there, but in reality they have not a clue how things work in the real world.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 15, 2010 03:52PM

Jeremy,
I agree with Billy on this one.

After your discussion, I assume that in the e-mail that you sent to your customer, you had a total description of the agreed on rod?

i..e. you stated in the rod, the following:

The blank,
The length
The action
The manufacturer
The series

The guides - total number as well as the tip.

The type handle and its length - both back grip and fore grip.

Also, any thread color and or inscription and or decals that you were going to apply to the rod.

The agreed price, including any shipping.

The agreed delivery date.

-----------
If all of these items were in the final e-mail sent to the customer before starting the build, you have a written contract with the customer. There is no reason to refund or return any money or any changes.

If, on the other hand, you didn't have a final written statement of the actual final rod and configuration that was received by the customer prior to starting the build, you then DON't have a contract, and it would likely be in your best interest to refund the money.

--------
I am assuming that the customer things that he paid an agreed price for what he thought was going to be an SC5 rod.

I am further assuming that perhaps the customer is thinking that if he had agreed to an SC3 rod, that he would have had a lesser delivered price to him?

----------------
Most rod builders do the above - i.e. give the customer a detailed description of the rod that the customer would be expecting to receive for a given amount of money and the rod builder would work off of this description to assure that the rod that they build for the customer is the one that they actually deliver to the customer. Normally, when the customer is given this receipt, the client also pays a partial or full payment for the rod.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 15, 2010 05:01PM

I wonder how bad the situation will get when "the expert customer" transforms the one piece MLXF into a two piece ? .

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 15, 2010 06:02PM

Bob Balcombe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Billy It sounds like the whole deal was done
> over a phone call. That is why I mentioned
> recording or emails. You know as will as I do
> there a lot of well read people out there, but in
> reality they have not a clue how things work in
> the real world.

Bob, it was done through email. I have the complete description of the rod in email form.

Roger, I have all of the details that you describe. I do my best to be very thorough and not overlook anything. I hate surprises and I assume that my customers do as well. Your assumptions are correct. He wanted a lower price for the SC3 rod, even though I gave him a great price on the second rod I built him which was a PSU themed 4S68MXF.

I know this all sounds bad, but he is actually a pretty decent guy. However, the more time I've had to think about this, the more I realize I probably won't be this accomodating to the next customer that does something like this. His options were in writing so it wasn't like there was a verbal misunderstanding.

jeremy

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 15, 2010 06:09PM

Jeremy - IMO. You wrote (above) that you had an agreed upon price. That to me is the bottom line. He agreed to pay you a fixed price for X number of rods - he had all the specifications from you and settled for a price. No money back and since you have it all in writing there was no apology needed

Date: October 15, 2010 06:37PM

Jeremy it sounds as if you had every thing under control then. I apologize for my miss understanding on how the process was made

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 15, 2010 06:57PM

Learn your lesson, dont' give anyone a break, get everythign in writing, and treat customers as a customer not your brother. If you do a PSU theme rod that went above and beyond the normal rodwork you do, charge for it. DOn't give it away, for one it won't be appreciatd, and for two - you s how appreciative this guy was so learn your lesson.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: October 15, 2010 07:24PM

I am TOTALLY lost here. How could he receive a refund for the "difference" between a SC5 (what he "wanted") and a SC3 (what he got)? The blank he received would be considerably LESS money, not more ... especially since it is a one-piece.

Posted by: Walt Davenport (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 15, 2010 07:48PM

My response would be that he could enjoy the rods received for the price he paid, or return them for a complete refund. I wouldn't send him a dime and let him keep the rods if you have everything documented as you've stated. It might sting a little, but I'd never give him the satisfaction of looking at those rods knowing he burned me.

I want to please my customers and I bend over backwards to do so, but there are some shady characters out there always looking to get over. He should have known what he was agreeing to before the deal was done. JMO

On the other hand, this one guy could bad mouth you to the point it hurts your sales, you have to decide what you're willing to suffer to make a point .

Good luck, I'm sure you'll make the right decision.

Walt Davenport
"Roadhouse Rods"

Posted by: John Etheridge (---.sub-75-202-80.myvzw.com)
Date: October 15, 2010 07:49PM

I only build an occasional rod for personal use, so take this for what its worth. I don't know that you did anything wrong. Caveat emptor. If there was a crack or other flaw, the threadwork was sloppy, the guides crooked, I get that. "I got what I ordered but it isn't what I meant to order?" Take the bad mouthing, he is just trying to get a better deal. John

Posted by: Peter Sprague (69.162.116.---)
Date: October 15, 2010 08:26PM

So he is saying you charged him for SC5 and he only got SC3. If you have it all in writing and clearly show that he was getting SC3 and that's what you priced then why make any adjustment? You cannot run scared just because somebody says they are going to badmouth you. Who would believe him anyway?? Stick to your guns and charge the price you quoted and which he AGREED to.

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 15, 2010 09:13PM

Thanks for the advice guys. You've confirmed my thoughts and feelings about all of this. I've always tried to conduct myself and my business with integrity and character (I am human though!). I feel like I did the right thing and I can go to sleep tonight with a clear conscience. I've learned a vaulable lesson through all of this. Even though I did everything right and I covered all of the bases, I wasn't thorough enough.

Walt,

I'm the same way, I want to please my customers. I don't live in a huge urban area with a large population that fishes. I live in a very rural area so I need to please every customer. One disgruntled guy could do alot of damage for me. I don't mind going above and beyond for my loyal customers, but I've never been someone to get pushed around. This guy pushed me to my limit and I think he was starting to realize that. He sent me an email later and his attitude had changed. I think we both learned a lesson!

jeremy

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2010 04:10PM

Jeremy,
Years ago, I was in a small town with a TV repair business.
I know your feelings about the importance of a good reputation, and the damage that a single unhappy customer can cause.

Primarily, because of the small town nature of that business many years ago, I would do virtually anything to keep a custoner happy and not bad mouthing my business.
It even went so far as to give a complete refund if necessary for some very troubling customers.

My general rule of thumb in business is that it take about 100 very happy satisfied customers to counteract the negative effect on the business of a single unhappy customer that is bad mouthing the business for what ever reason.

You are doing the right thing. Keep your customers happy but - especially in the future, be absolutely sure that there is no misunderstanding between you and your customer on what the customer is expecting, and what you are planning to build.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Bob Meiser (---.dhcp.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: October 17, 2010 01:20PM

Jeremy,

In this case I feel that you'll probably need to somehow compromise with your client to settle on an agreement ... Or eat this one.

... But <> Take the next step and in the future introduce two party contractual agreements with all of your clients.

A very simple WORD document can be put together that can be forwarded to your proposed client.

This document can be drawn in such a way as to allow language that will define every aspect of your services rendered.

Keep both a signed hard copy and a disk folder copy of every agreement.

We do this with every build we do, and we have thousands on file.

A major aspect of running a successful business is understanding and complying with simple business contract law.

And trust me <> It will save you untold numbers of headaches in the future if you introduce simple two party signed agreements between you and your clientele for your services.

Bob Meiser

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2010 01:33PM by Bob Meiser.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: October 17, 2010 09:27PM

Jeremy I always had a contract! one for me and one for them, both were signed. How far does your customer live from you?

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 17, 2010 09:49PM

Bob, this guy's about 2 hours.

jeremy

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: October 20, 2010 09:53PM

How did you anisette the sale to start with an how did he hear about you?

Good Wraps Bob

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster