I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Restoring Metal Reel Seat
Posted by: John Kitch (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 14, 2010 02:59PM

I am restoring an old South Bend with a wooden handle and a metal reel seat (Aluminum maybe.) The reel seat is covered with green corrosion. Does anyone have any suggestion as to how to brighten up the reel seat?
Thanks
John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Restoring Metal Reel Seat
Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.mw.usar.army.mil)
Date: October 14, 2010 03:50PM

Brasso or something like that should work. I used it on some of my older Hardys and it did a bang up job. I still have it on my work bench and hit them up once a year or so. If it is really bad you can use the Brasso with 0000 steelwool if not then apply it, let it sit and rub it out with a cloth, when done wash it off to get off all the residue. Hope this helps.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: October 14, 2010 03:56PM

John, you might also try Bon Ami. I like it because it doesn't scratch metal surfaces. Recently I used Wellman glass stove top cleaner with some non-scratch pads. They removed materials from the glass top we had not been able to get out. I haven't tried this product with rods yet. Good luck.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: October 14, 2010 04:42PM

Stuff I have used and really like is Flitz.

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: October 14, 2010 08:25PM

John,

You can try some diluted CLR. It works great in taking rust and corrosion off of old guides and should work on the reel seat but make sure you do a thurough rinse or it will continue to remove material. CLR is a calcium, lime and rust remover that you can find in any grocerey store in the detergent and cleaning product area.

Tight lines,

John Hernandez

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: October 14, 2010 09:58PM

John:

Depending on how deep the rust goes, I would start with an old toothbrush and scrub the parts under running water. I would then use Flitz for surface stuff, or Stock Sheen. If this doesn't get it done, Spray it with WD40, and let it sit for an hour or so. Then use the finest steelwool you can get. Soak the steel wool is WD40, and lightly rub the parts. Then finish with the Flitz.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: John Kitch (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 15, 2010 04:53AM

Thanks to all for your input.
John

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: October 15, 2010 03:28PM

They all sent you great suggestions. If the seat is pitted there is nothing you can do except polish out the pits. In doing so you will remove carom and find a brass coating. underneath. Maybe someone out there has your style of reel seat in new condition .

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 16, 2010 12:12PM

If it does not clean well Try here: [www.mudhole.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster