I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

alvey type surf rod
Posted by: Tom McKinley (---.dsl.mdldtx.swbell.net)
Date: October 12, 2010 11:29PM

Anyone have any info on building a surf rod for an Alvey type reel? Anything will help such as distance to center of reel seat guide spacing etc.. I am thinking about building a 10'-12' rod capable of tossing a 4- 8oz bait as far as possible.
thanks in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: alvey type surf rod
Posted by: PAUL FANNON (---.43.254.125.unassigned.soulaustralia.com.au)
Date: October 13, 2010 12:50AM

Hi Tom.

I do believe you can go to the Alvey Reel site and get build info.

Paul,

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Posted by: Charles Clayton (---.ldcz2.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 13, 2010 02:22AM

I know American surf rods are way different than we do in Australia but my long distance Alvey rod either an FSU5162 or MT8144 where both fourteen footers,my ten foot FSU4120 was fairly useless as a distance casting rod although better with a Penn Spinfisher 750, and yes it had two reel seats. A single BHVLG 40HH followed by normal height BHVLG's is a fairly standard setup.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 13, 2010 08:26AM

If/when you build the rod you should also obtain the small "half guide" (trainer guide) that installs near the fore grip. It will make alignment of the line much easier. You can order them from the Alvey site in Florida.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 14, 2010 08:22PM

What reel are you using, Tom? I ask because I've built quite a few setups that are very similar to what it seems like you're doing. I have three or four rods that are essentially 3-8 bait rods, all of which have Alvey reels. I went through a fair amount of trial and error when learning to configure Alvey rods, and what I went through might save you from going down a few blind alleys.

The reel model will have a pretty big impact on your setup, because the spools on these reels are huge: 600 model reels have 6-inch diameter spools; 650 reels 6 1/2 inches, 700 reels have 7-inch spools, etc. Post the reel you're using, and what kind of blank you're looking at, and I'll tell you how I'd do setup. You might decide to do things differently, but at least I'll be able to give you a decent starting point. Also post whether you'll be using mono or braid: this will also have large repercussions on your setup.

And one thing I'll add: I love Alvey reels, and the U.S. distributor is absolutely top notch when it comes to service (I say this just to let you know that I'm not looking to denigrate anyone). But I would advise not to look at the recommended rod setup information from Alvey too closely: I've learned, from experimentation, that much of what they say (like having to use huge collector guides and having to place the first guide halfway up the blank) isn't necessarily true.

Post more info and I'll try to help. It's good to find another Alvey fan on the lunatic fringe with me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster