I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Any Suggestions??
Posted by: wayne diduch (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: October 12, 2010 05:53PM

Hi Fellas, i need some help. Occasionally i will get single foot spinning guides,in which the guide foot is slightly off center in relationship to the actual guide ring. here in lies my problem . after i center the guide foot on the blank, and center the guide ring as well. the guide ring is no longer 90 degrees or square to the blank. it is slightly twisted. i have purposely " Thrown" the foot slightly right or left depending on which way the ring needs to go in order to become square to the blank. i have tried surgical tubing, micro cable ties, masking tape... nothing helps. as soon as i need to insert my tie off loop and remove the tube, tie, or tape to complete the wrap . the foot kicks back and the ring is out of square in relationship to the blank. it's driving me nut's!!!!!! any help would be most welcome. Or do i live with the ring being out of Square??? not my first choice. thanks in advance Guy's. Cheers....Wayne

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Any Suggestions??
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: October 12, 2010 08:23PM

Sounds like you need to prep the underside of the guide foot with a round file.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 12, 2010 08:28PM

If I am understanding you correctly the foot is out of alignment with the frame.

If that is the case, you can slightly twist the frame so it is true perpendicular to the foot.

Date: October 12, 2010 08:43PM

Steve, that is correct. i am hesitant to twist the frame for fear of compromising the structural integrity of the ring at that area where it sits in the frame. i take it i should keep the bend down low on the frame near the foot. Ellis.. thanks to you as well. i have dressed the underside of the feet. i always do. However they all have a slight flange on each side.[single foot spinning guides] which, that along with the fact they are slightly concave, help to "seat" themselves on the blank. if i "throw" the foot too far in order to square the ring . a portion of the guide foot wont be in contact with the blank. the foot will now "rock"on the blank. Thanks Guy's i really appreciate your help

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 12, 2010 09:37PM

Wayne,
You may be a bit too critical with respect to a twist in the ring. A slight amount of twist really hearts nothing.
But, if you do decide to twist the guide, do not do any twisting of the guide by either putting something into the ring or anything like a pliars around the ring to twist the guide. You will very likely crack the ring if you do this.

Rather, if you do have to twist the guide, use a needle nose pliars between the guide foot and the bottom of the ring, on the vertical part of the guide foot.

My real suggestion though is to leave the guide alone. If you find that the guide is really unsuitable for your use, the better suggestion is to get another guide.

I will say in all of the rods that I have built, I have never found a guide ring twisted with respect to the guide foot.

I have found a very very small number of guides that either angled slightly back or forward, that needed to be slightly corrected, but this is a very simple thing to do.

Take care

Roger

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: October 12, 2010 09:45PM

Wayne,

I feel your pain. What I have done falls in line with Roger. I have rubber coated some needlenose pliers and use them to straighten guides. As stated above just hold the the area near the foot of the guide with the pliers and tweek with second set of pliers. I have never had a guide fail after straightening.

Tight lines,

John

Date: October 12, 2010 09:56PM

Roger, John... thanks guy's im going to protect the frame with rubber and gently twist the frame with fine needle nose pliers.The Ring is not twisted Roger, it is the frame itself, that in relation to the foot is not quite perpendicular. i will be certain to make the correction down close to the foot when i twist the frame a wee bit to square up the Ring. i don't want any torque near the Ring. i'll stay away from the upper part of the frame. Thanks Fellas...i really appreciate your input!!

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 14, 2010 10:19AM

Wayne
I do the same as John suggested except I just have tape wrapped around a pair of needle nose pliers for such things.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frs2ca.pacbell.net)
Date: October 15, 2010 02:24AM

do you usually use the same brand of guide? maybe a different brand would fall in line with what you would like, assuming prepping the underside doesn't work as well.

eric
fresno, ca.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster