I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mounting Reel Seat
Posted by: Andy Duncan (---.hsd1.ut.comcast.net)
Date: October 12, 2010 09:14AM

I've begun building a new rod (a Sage VT2 3 weight 7' 9" blank). I built a rod about 14 years ago, so I remember a lot of the basics, but forgot some things. I've been able to refresh my memory on most things from the web, and it seems I've lost my books I relied on building the first rod. I'm about to mount the reel seat, and forgot (and can't find any clear info on the web so far) if I need to mount it with the butt cap tight against the butt of the blank, or if I can leave a bit of room in between the two.
Thanks for any tips.
Andy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mounting Reel Seat
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 12, 2010 09:56AM

Andy,
You can mount the reel seat how ever you want to mount the reel seat.
If you want to install a butt cap on your rod, the only requirement is that you have a way to install and get the butt cap to stay on the rod.

If this means having the end of the handle flush with the blank, do it like that. If it means having some space between the end of the blank and butt cap, do it like that.

Often when building a rod, it sometimes works better to let the handle extend past the end of the blank. Then, use a disk sander to sand the end of the handle flush with the blank to apply the butt cap. This often gives a nicer overall finished look to the handle.

If you happen to have a butt cap that needs a tenon (undercut)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortise_and_tenon)) (( at the end of the handle, and if you have a preshaped handle with the tenon already cut into the handle, then the logical way to install the handle is to do it with the handle flush to the end of the blank. When you do, be sure to clean up any excess glue to avoid a later problem in applying the butt cap.

Many things about rod building are simply common sense and can often be done in a multitude of different ways that all get the job done. Then, it is up to you as the rod builder to use the particular system or method that makes sense to you, and the system that works well for your particular skill, and tool set.

Rod building should be an enjoyable and interesting job. When any type gluing and or other assembly work is involved - carefully thing through the entire process, do dry fits of all parts, and do any tweaks, alignments, or trimming, before applying the glue.

You can dry fit parts many many different times, and in different ways as long as y ou don't apply glue. Get it right before any glue is applied. Then, when the time for assembly comes, all of the parts will fit together like a glove and you will have the final finished appearance that you really want for your particular job.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 12, 2010 09:57AM

Dry fit the reel seat - as many fly rod seat butts set inside the tube of the reel seat slightly (1/8 of an inch or so).

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: October 12, 2010 09:57AM

Either method will work. I mount them flush. Do what you feel is best for you. The glue bond is what matters most.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster