I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

12' Center Pin or Spey Blank?
Posted by: Joe Hart (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 09, 2010 01:32AM

Anyone on the board possibly have knowledge of a 2 pc. or 4 pc. 12' center pin or spey blank, with a mono rating of 8#-12#, or fly line rating of 7/8 or 8/9?

I've built all variations from all manufacturers in the 11' - 13' range, but ideally would like to find a true 12 footer with the above listed line rating(s), that won't require any chopping or extension modification.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2010 01:34AM by Joe Hart.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 12' Center Pin or Spey Blank?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: October 09, 2010 10:15AM

Have you tried Mark Crouse the Munich Man in West Virginia? He gets his blanks from Europe and has a line of hid own design also.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 09, 2010 11:31AM

Try Angler's Roost . They have a 7/8 12' graphite model

Date: October 09, 2010 12:45PM

Angler's Roost (left) has 3 piece 7/8 wt graphite spey rods.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: October 09, 2010 12:53PM

Joe...

Batson, one of the fine sponsors on the left make an RX6 12.5', 7/8 in a spey blank, as well as the XST1383F TC 11'6" 2 piece with a 8-12lb rating. I prefer the XST...

Paul

Date: October 10, 2010 01:44AM

Each of the responses to my blank question are much appreciated.

Spencer,

I will definitely give Mark the Munich Man a try.

Ken,

The 12 footer that A.R. advertises is very tempting, yet a 2 or 4 pc. is desired so as to afford quick and equal length breakdown. (Never been a fan of 3 pc. rods due to their inability to perform the afformentioned task in as easy a manner.)

Paul,

I have been outwardly hinting at Karry each time we speak to (please), make an RX6 blank inbetween the existing 11'6" and 12'6" models. This would be the ideal rod for our West Coast Winter center pin duties. To date those two Forecast models are the closest I've been able to come to what I am looking for. I use XST's for all of my personal gear rod needs, yet have been reluctant to try the new 1383 only due to the fact that the shorter Forecast spey blank fills that particular niche more than adequately for the time being.

Guess the search for the cigar continues...

Thanks again all.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: October 10, 2010 03:42AM

Joe:

You're welcome Joe. But why are you so atimate on a 12'er? The difference of 6" is very negelegible IMHO....Just curious my friend..

Date: October 10, 2010 09:11AM

Joe:
Very understandable. If you want to move from place to place and not break the rod down completely then a 4 piece taken down to two pieces is ideal.

Date: October 10, 2010 12:01PM

Paul,

!2' seems to be the overall perfect length for the application I seek. Anything longer oscillates too much and is a hassle casting in the brush/trees and anything shorter tends to be either too beefy or too light. We are making long casts using primarily 12#-15# mono main with 30-35 gram floats and 5/8 oz.-3/4 oz. weights. Often times10'+ fixed leaders are used to get the offering where it needs to be. The casts being performed are primarily give-n-go doubles, drops, overhead and spinning sides, not uncommonly to 80 feet... Large steelhead and salmon are target species.
(I will however say that the compromise continues and am currently building my third set of Forecast 11'6" and 12'6" models... should be done by mid week.)

In compare to the 12 footer, I've always preferred 10' - 8#-15# rated rods for gear use, yet only two manufacturers fill the requirement here, Used to be a very similar dilemma.

So, if anyone has the mandrel and oven to wrap and cook up about 100 2 pc. blanks with ballpark finished measurements of 12'L X .550B X 5.0T, I'll take them all!

Have a great Sunday.

Posted by: Jon Bial (209.34.157.---)
Date: October 11, 2010 03:27PM

Joe,

Contact me.

Jon
jon.bial@northforkcomposites.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster