I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Darn dust particles
Posted by: Wade White (---.me.iastate.edu)
Date: October 08, 2010 09:35AM

Is the only way to keep dust particles out of finsh to build a drying cabinet? I just finished a rod for myself and those pesky dust particles really hose up an utherwise very good finish. I don't make a lot of rods, but the ones I do i try to make better than the last and I'm striving to make them "perfect", or at least as close as I can. What do you do?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Darn dust particles
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 08, 2010 09:43AM

A little more information about your finishing area is in order. Dust isn't generally a problem unless something is stirring it and making it go airborne. There are many ways of dealing with it short of building a drying box (although a drying box is certainly a nice item to have).

Posted by: Wade White (---.me.iastate.edu)
Date: October 08, 2010 09:54AM

I just have a homemade rotisserie motor attachment that I can put on my homemade wrapping jig which I set on a table in room of my house that doesn't get used too much. But in the same respect it's getting a little colder here in de nort country (okay Iowa isn't that far north) so the furnace kicking in every so often may have a lot to do with it. But was curoius to hear what others do in similar situations or if it's a case where there's not a whole lot I can do about it, unless I build a drying box. There are a lot of ingenious ideas out there that may help take my finish to the next step.

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: October 08, 2010 10:11AM

Wade, your HVAC system is excellent in stirring up the air. All the particulates (dust) will be well distrubuted throughout the area. If you can seal the supply grill with duct tape while the finish is curing, that may solve your problem.
Good Luck
Bill

Posted by: Walker_Nelson (69.198.19.---)
Date: October 08, 2010 10:15AM

I have a small fan that I run in my room with a small air filter taped to the back...I run this on low while I work to help collect dust/particles in the air and to keep me cool...When Im about to apply finish I turn it off to stop the movement....Use a dry brush to wick off particles on the thread,apply my finish,then move to the dryer stand.
My wife use the other side of the room for her salon..So she has blow dryers running,clippers and fine hair everywhere when she has clients over (is like a rod builders nightmare)
Its not a big room either!
But it has yet to effect my finishes,so I feel the fan/filter really helps..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2010 10:16AM by Walker_Nelson.

Posted by: Les Stewart (---.rh1.dyn.cm.comporium.net)
Date: October 08, 2010 11:36AM

You could try using a room air filter. They are not expensive and most of the big stores sell them. You just need to clean the filter often.

Posted by: Jeff Davis (---.jax.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 08, 2010 12:08PM

I'd say that making sure your heat/ac filter is clean is the first thing to check and keep it clean. Then I'd agree with Les and the room filter, if you could close off the room and dry at night, that may help alot.
Good luck,
Jeff

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: October 08, 2010 12:33PM

Another option is a humidifier can be used. It will add moisture to the air and help keep the particles down as it gets drier and cooler. i would first try to find a place to turn your rods that does not have as much moving air. closing the vents in a room with the door to the room closed should cut down tremendously on the particles becoming airborne.

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: October 08, 2010 12:43PM

Wade,

As many others have stated above, the easiest way to control the dust in your home is to block off the vent in that room when possible and make sure it is cleaned regularly. That alone will reduce your dust problem tremendously. The filter on the fan does work very well also just remember to turn it off when you get ready to apply the finish.

Tight lines,

John

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: October 08, 2010 01:50PM

My shop is in the basement so I have the duct work coming from the ceiling. I taped a furnace filter against just the other night. It may help a little and it will still let heat in for epoxy finishing.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 08, 2010 01:55PM

Consider which of the tasks you perform in the finish area generate dust.

Move cork work or other tasks that generate particulate outside.

Anything that generates air flow will transport fines - even a light bulb used to heat will start air currents that will pick pu particulate in the immediate area.

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 08, 2010 08:44PM

Wade,

If you can stop whatever is blowing or moving the dust around, you should be fine. I have the absolute worst work area you could imagine from a dust standpoint and I don't have an issue because I take great care to not stir it up the day before (and during) the times I epoxy.

jeremy

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 08, 2010 08:56PM

Wade,
A couple of thoughts.
1. Do a really good job of cleaning your furnace, and have your air ducts cleaned as well.
2. Install a new furnace filter.
3. Open all of the windows in the room that you dry rods, and then put a box fan in each of the windows for a couple of hours to suck out all of the dust.
4. While you have the windows in the room open, use the outlet of a vacuum cleaner, or a high pressure hose from an air compressor to go over all of the walls, shelves, cabinets and ceilings to blow up any dust that might be hanging around the room. .
5. Again, do this cleaning with the door to the room open, and with fans in all of the rooms windows so as the dust is lifted from the rooms surfaces, it will be blown out of the windows.
6. Change the setting on your furnace, so that the furnace fan runs constantly at the same speed.

Now - let everthing settle down for 2 or 3 days. You now have a clean furnace, a clean room, and a constant air movement in the room to keep any dust in the room moving right into the cold air return.

You should be good to go. The thing that you don't want to do in the areas where it is necessary to either use a furnace or air conditioner is to have the fan cycle on and off. You want to keep the fan moving constantly at the same speed so that any dust that might be in the room, stays put and doesn't get dislodged by starting and stopping the fan.

It is also a good idea to NOT have any dust raising tasks in the same HOUSE as the house where you do the drying. i.e. if you keep all of the heavy dust intensive tasks out of the house, you don't have to worry about later fighting that dust during rod drying time.

Take care
REW

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: October 08, 2010 10:40PM

You have received some great ideas. One cheep one is to make a 3 sided box out of card board spray the inside with a varnish or lacquer this will kill any loose card board fibers from floating around

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Wade White (---.dsl.iowatelecom.net)
Date: October 10, 2010 08:01PM

I was away from the computer for the weekend on a 2 day float trip with my Dad. Had a fantastic weather for this time of year, caught a lot of walleye, but none over 16". Over 20 miles of river in 2 days, I'm tuckered out.
Anywho, thank you all for all the fabulous tips. I'll be sure to use them on my next go round, which will be soon. I have a bit of abolone to put on a split grip.

Wade

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster