I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide placement vs spine on two handers
Posted by: Jim Williams (---.br1.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 06, 2010 10:06AM

Since the two handers go through so many different casts....and loads....what is a good way to place the guides....icw the spine?
Jim

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2010 10:07AM by Jim Williams.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide placement vs spine on two handers
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 06, 2010 10:16AM

The lever arm effect of the guides trumps the spine. Since the guides are on the bottom of the rod there is no chance of severe rod twist when the rod is under load from a fish. It is the backcast when you will have some tendency of the rod to twist. There is very little you can do about this, however, unless you can develop some means of having the guides shift from one side of the rod to the other. About the best you can do is use very low frame guides so that any lever arm effect on the backcast is kept to the absolute minimum. This is another reason why you don't want to use a ton of different guide sizes on a rod. Get right down to the smallest and lowest frame guides you intend to use within just a guide or two of the butt guide. This will provide a straighter line path and reduce the lever arm effect as much as possible.

Date: October 06, 2010 12:26PM

Thank you Tom. Excellent explanation.

I actually have considered guides that rotate. Just haven't quite figured out how to build it yet. I think it would be an interesting project. The final product might be what I was seeking....or might be laughable. I desire to build a grip of a TN handle with slip rings. Perhaps a 12" grip.

But somehow mount the grip on bearings...so the the grip and reel can rotate. on the rod. The idea being that on the back cast...when you FEEL the rod flip....it is the signal to commence the forward cast....and the guides should rotate back to the fishing position at the end of the cast. Also the rod would rotate when playing a fish. But mounting the grip on the rod....and maintaining the rod integrity....is a challenge for me.

Thank you again for the excellent information.

Date: October 06, 2010 12:37PM

We featured an old guide patent design in an issue of RodMaker last year that allowed the line to flip around the rod. The only problem was the weight associated with the guides. A revolving handle is an interesting concept.

The bottom line is, are two-handed rods actually experiencing a practical problem on the backcast?

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 06, 2010 06:00PM

Grip and handle rotate? Don't you mean the blank and guides rotate? When they rotate doesn't the reel wind up 180 degrees (more or less) opposite the guides? I have an inkling that this might not be a good thing to have happen

Date: October 06, 2010 06:09PM

I think you misunderstood what he's saying - if the rod is free to rotate in the handle, it will spin so that the guides face the load without attempting to twist an otherwise stationary rod blank.

Date: October 07, 2010 07:22AM

Yes, but the reel remains at 0 degrees and the guides / blank are moving toward 180 with the potential for the line to wind up on the blank. It could work I suppose with careful guide placement. Far be it from me to throw cold water on any new idea!

Date: October 07, 2010 07:40AM

That's true. But unless you're shooting line on the backcast it shouldn't matter. Maybe.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.mw.usar.army.mil)
Date: October 07, 2010 11:58AM

I think you would not have a tighe loop and maximum forward momentum with the line. I would think that the "movement" of the rod would loose the generated power of the load and throw a "ripple" into the line that would end up deforming the tight loop. Maybe not but just my first thought. I have never had any real problems with the backcast, I will almost always use a water anchor with a small D loop but there is still a ton of power generated. The only thing you may get is a small amount of twist in the sections. Every hour or so I just check my alinement, some folks wax others tape. That being said many great inventions were born of 'out of the box ideas' such as yours.

Posted by: Richard Hahn (---.ssa.gov)
Date: October 07, 2010 01:33PM

Eric Viburs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think you would not have a tighe loop and
> maximum forward momentum with the line. I would
> think that the "movement" of the rod would loose
> the generated power of the load and throw a
> "ripple" into the line that would end up deforming
> the tight loop. Maybe not but just my first
> thought. I have never had any real problems with
> the backcast, I will almost always use a water
> anchor with a small D loop but there is still a
> ton of power generated. The only thing you may get
> is a small amount of twist in the sections. Every
> hour or so I just check my alinement, some folks
> wax others tape. That being said many great
> inventions were born of 'out of the box ideas'
> such as yours.

You are dead on ........... 2 weeks ago I was taking Spey Casting lessons from Mike Kinny at the Spey Clave in Idaho ........... I was amazed at how much power is stored and transmitted when the anchorpoint and "D" loop are correct and how little energy you expend .......... if the rod would turn, you would lose abunch of that energy and probably end up with a pile of line around you instead of a fly 100 ft+ down stream .............. THese guys were casting up to 170+ ft ............ a Spey rod that turns would defeat the purpose.

Date: October 07, 2010 01:56PM

The rod would still flex the same even if it turned. In fact, it's already turning (twisting) to some extent.

This is one of those things you just need to try for yourself. It really wouldn't be that hard to rig up, although the means I can think of to do it would add a bit of weight.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.mw.usar.army.mil)
Date: October 07, 2010 04:01PM

I could see one major issue with the handle bearing idea, if the rod is a full flex and loads to the cork and not off the tip as in a scandi cast then the bearing alignment would be way off during loading and not creat a smooth turnover of the rod/handle. It would work fine while at rest with no load but when flexed it would not rotate. You would also have to have some sort of "stop" in place so it would not continue to rotate and end up wrapping around you as you bring the cast around. Just a few thoughts, I am by NO means shooting down the idea just playing "devils advocate" here and assiting in the war-gaming process.

Date: October 07, 2010 05:23PM

Actually those are good points that would certainly have to be addressed.

Date: October 07, 2010 09:35PM

Lots of good info. Only one way to find out for sure.....

I actually have been considering this thought for about 3 years....for a "single" hand fly rod. Just not that much of a craftsman. So haven't thoughjt about the best way to build one for trial.

I don't think the line is going to wrap....on a single hand rod anyway. The load on the tip should controal where the rod axis is.

I took my 9' fly rod to a stream to do a small sample test. I twisted the tip section of the two piece rod offset 90 degrees from the correct axis. Intent was to monitor the casting effect. I got so interested in fly fishing for trout....I DID NOT notice the difference! I fished for about 2.5 hours before I remembered to think about it. That kind of asnwered the question in my mind.Thus....I do not think that the guides being perfectly aligned with the reel at all times is a big necessity. Now for competition casting surely not good. But I am just thinking about building fishing poles.

So I was not looking for distance....just a decent fly rod. And then got to wondering about letting the rod rotate...since there is so much talk about the torque on the blank if you do not put the guides on the effective spine.....it's just an idea that popped into my head.

At the time of the initial idea I was not think spey rod. Just a backcast, then a forward cast. Thinking the rod would only rotate approx 180 degrees one time on the backcast...then one time on the forward cast and could possibly be telling you when to make the forward cast....as the line is out behind you and you feel the rod flip.....rod is loaded...time to cast forward....

Then thinking that while fighting a fish it might be helpful for the tip of the rod to be able to follow the fish....load....oh well.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2010 09:38PM by Jim Williams.

Date: October 07, 2010 09:50PM

Torque is created by the lever arm effect of the guides, not the spine. However, rod blanks are designed to withstand a certain amount of torsion. In my original post I mentioned using the lowest guides possible to reduce that lever arm effect. I seriously doubt that there is any problem on the backcast due to rod twist. Most likely, this is an attempt to correct a problem that doesn't exist. But it's an interesting concept and I hope those interested will pursue it.

Date: October 08, 2010 06:30AM

Jim,
Please keep us posted on your efforts and results.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster