I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Grizzly hobby lathe anyone using this for grips?
Posted by: Bill Giokas (---.bos-dynamic.gis.net)
Date: October 06, 2010 05:53AM

Is anyone using this hobby lathe to turn cork grips on? It's similar to the Flexcoat cork lathe which uses an electric drill as the power source. Thanks in advance Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Grizzly hobby lathe anyone using this for grips?
Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 06, 2010 06:21AM

I used the Grizzly hobby lathe for a number of years before buying a mini-lathe. Rather than re-type responses I provided to this question in the past, I have attached a search of this site where Grizzly was discussed. I hope the information is helpful.

Jeff

[rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 06, 2010 08:47AM

Still using one after many years, works just fine for turning and boring cork. I wish Grizzly still offered their 1/2" drill that fit it well though, on my third drill.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 06, 2010 09:01AM

Used one foe several years before I went to a Midi. Very good setup for cork, EVA!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Scott Nordlund (209.62.248.---)
Date: October 06, 2010 12:30PM

Anyone have a measurement on the gap or clearance needed for the drill to fit the clamp? I've been thinking about getting one of these, and this seems to be a speed bump for some that have used it before.

Thanks in advance....

Scott

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2010 12:40PM by Scott Nordlund.

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.br1.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 06, 2010 12:34PM

I have an original Grizzly Hobby Lathe I "might" part with. Never used except to turn on the drill to ensure it works. New and sitting......I don't really know in my mind if I want to part with it. So I guess I shouldn't be saying so. But I do have another lathe, also unused that is a China lathe. Much bigger and originally a 40" bed. But wouldn't take American accessories. A friend made me a tailstock for it, and an adapter for the headstock. So it is something less than a 40" bed now I would think. But I haven't uese it yet either. I will have to buy a Morse 2 taper drill head for the tailstock, and a 4 head jaw device for the headstock before I can use the China lathe. But it is doable. Maybe I sell THAT one....since I am thinking of living in my RV. The Hobby lathe be better for me in that case.

Sorry for the ramble.

Posted by: Richard Steiner (32.179.11.---)
Date: October 06, 2010 02:34PM

Have you considered building your own? I built one from 3/4" MDF and It works great. I'll send you pictures if you like.

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 06, 2010 10:28PM

I have the Grizzly Hobby lathe.Have had it for about as long as Mike Barkley, for he is the one who put me unto it. I use it for cork, eva, and reel seat harbors. It has served me well for a hobby builder. Have mine mounted on a 4'x1"x 6" with a on/off switch.I do all my turning out doors,so I don't have the dust around my work area. Have not heard why Grizzly don't handle the drill for that set up any more ?? <<<< DON >>>>

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net)
Date: October 07, 2010 03:02PM

I built one similar using prefinished shop plywood and it works well for cork grips and fighting butts. I have heard that you will go through the variable speed drills but mine is doing fine. I use a 1/4" steel rod for the mandrel and I have to watch out not to hurry when using a round point chisel for shaping that it causes the rod to chatter and wobble if I apply too much pressure.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: October 07, 2010 03:10PM

If the Grizzly sells for $175.00 and, up, plus the drill motor. I think it would be better to buy a power wrapper if you can afford to. They are great for turning cork. I buit an un-attached tool rest and use a file to get the glue off and rough shape the grip. Then switch to sanding screen for the shape I want. Then work my way down the line of sand papers.

I made my own little lathe out of a 3/8 in drill. It did the job but I could not control the speed as I wanted. I had an electrician add a rheastat. The problem was it was hand operated. The foot control is sweet.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 07, 2010 04:27PM

The Grizzley Hobby Lathe sells for about $50 and is perfect for cork and EVA.. It weighs 10 lbs and mounted on a board it can be easily taken outside and set up on a table or sawhorses in a couple minutes. Very versatile and portable

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: October 07, 2010 09:00PM

The drill must have a collar to fit in the Grizzly headstock. Grizzly no longer sells a driil that fits, but you can find one at Harbor Freight. Look for a drill that has a collar for a handle. You can probably find one for around 20 or 30 dollars. Or go to a big box store and spend 100.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2010 09:52PM by George Forster.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: October 08, 2010 02:12PM

I may be looking at the wrong thing. Page 152 of the Mud Hole catalog has one for $181.00 + add your own drill.

The brand name is not Grizzly. Isn`t the one by Flex Coat the same principle? I don`t remember the Grizzly ad.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2010 02:15PM by Bill Eshelman.

Posted by: dave schaub (129.230.244.---)
Date: October 08, 2010 03:25PM

You need to get a Grizzly catalogue. I have used mine for 6-7 years. I love it for cork. I use a more expensive drill in it and it has not been replaced.
The cheap ones dont seem to last.

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.br1.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 09, 2010 05:28PM

Here's a link to the Grizzly Hobby lathe being talked about. They used to sell it at a higher price with the drill. Seems they only sell it as a lathe now...and you have to find/buy a drill for it. But it is the lathe being referred to.

[www.grizzly.com]

Just fyi

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster