I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork reel seat arbor?
Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: October 04, 2010 10:38AM

I am rebuilding a few rods that my dad built in the early '70s. He used very nice lamiglas honey colored blanks and made very nice cork handles from rings. I was able to clean and refinish the blanks using som techniques I learned here....using scotch-brite pads...a dull knife and applying Lumiseal. The blanks look great...Thanks to the very helpful folks here.

The hoods on one reel seat broke so I set out to remove it. It was a stamped brass seat. I applied heat very gradually and had a heckuva time getting it loose. It would NEVER have come off by itself. There was a watertight seal at both ends and what looked like a cork or wood full arbor between the seat and the blank.

Has anyone ever seen this? Are these arbors available??

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork reel seat arbor?
Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: October 04, 2010 11:03AM

Good morning Joe,

I have not seen any cork arbors being sold by any of our sponsors. Cork is relatively expensive to be used for an arbor. Burl cork is less expensive. If you have a means of sanding down with a lathe or power wrapper, you can build your own from cork rings. However, Pac Bay, Batson, and Flex Coat all make urethane arbors that are light, inexpensive and easy to work with. Most of our sponsors on the left will carry one or more of these arbors. If the gap between blank and reel seat is not too large, string, or thread can be used as an arbor as well. Some people use tape of one kind or another. Good luck with our project.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 04, 2010 11:03AM

Cork arbors were common for many, many years. Nothing at all wrong with them.

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: October 04, 2010 11:34AM

Most of the cork arbors used were a very low grade typically not used as handles. As mentoned above there are many options today that will work well, urethane, graphite , cork and or tape. All work well.

Tight lines,

John Hernandez

Date: October 04, 2010 11:59AM

I have been using tape arbors on my new builds but after seeing this arbor in action I think I am going to go with the urethane or graphite or some other full type arbor. It seems obviously superior to me. My dads 40+ year old rods have been in constant use in heavy saltwater applications and have really held up. I only hope mine stand the test of time too.

My education continues. Thanks all.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: October 04, 2010 12:16PM

All the fore mentioned materials for arbors are or were great in their time. wait till you come across ones made out of paper and cardboard

Good Wraps Bob

Date: October 04, 2010 12:29PM

Bob Balcombe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All the fore mentioned materials for arbors are or
> were great in their time. wait till you come
> across ones made out of paper and cardboard

I have Bob......a reel seat broke loose on a store-bought rod I own and I found a wad of soaking wet cardboard under there. I was surprised to say the least.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 04, 2010 01:31PM

Joe,
Often in a batch of cork rings, you find some rings that you would rather not use as a handle due to the lower quality and excess pits etc.
So, it works to save these rings to use as arbors if you like. Sand them down to the size of the inside of the handle and ream out the inside.

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster