I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

help picking a blank for a zebco / closed face reel
Posted by: Charles Lechner (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: September 30, 2010 04:30PM

OK, this may sound strange, but I want to make a custom set of rods for my parents. They fish Zebcos all summer long, and are fishing rods 5'6" - 6' for trout in the Mountain lakes of New Mexico using artificial dough bait... Small amounts of weight and small hooks, and most fish are probably under 4 lbs. Having never hardly fished a Zebco and definitely never made a rod for one, I am wide open to suggestions. I have thought about some of the Mudhole blanks, and Rainshadow SP721, with the latter being what I am thinking about right now. I also know nothing about how the ATC spin jig blanks would compare if anyone happens to know.

I don't want to go extreme or anything, and would like to hold the blank costs to under 50$, afterall they are 81 & 90 years old.

Please chime in especially if you have ever built one specifically for a closed face reel.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2010 04:54PM by Charles Lechner.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: help picking a blank for a zebco / closed face reel
Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2010 06:49PM

Charles,

I have built a few spincast rods over the years for customers kids. I would reccomend E-glass blanks like a Batson SPG721, 722 or 723. If they have been using spincast reels they are likely use to using fiberglass rods and will feel similar to wht they have used for years. The blanks are 6' in length and range from 4-8 lb for the 721, 6-12 lb for the 722 and 8-15 lb for the 723. They all are moderate action rods and again feel closer to what they have used over the years.

Tight lines,

John Hernandez

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 30, 2010 07:52PM

When i get 90 I sure as heck do not want to cast a Fiberglass rod . Too heavy

How much does a doe ball hook and maybe a small split shot weight - 1/32 - 1/16 oz ?? Weight it !

Match the blank with what it has to throw . And then check it. Too make sure it is right !!!

At least a 2 piece. Make it easy on them A 6 ft should cast a little farther. Make sure the lure weight is correct. feather weight. Med- mod action. If you can find a fast that will cast as light a weight ????? I had a St Croix UL . Fast I had to add split shot for it to cast well never liked it.

If you find some check here for number - CCS -

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: September 30, 2010 08:25PM

IMO, those little glass blanks don't weigh squat. They are a ton of fun as well, I have a couple of them myself. I would actually lean that way, but that's just personal preference.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: September 30, 2010 08:30PM

I built rods for my kids (ages 6 and 7) using the Mudhole 5" 6" UL blanks for Zebco underspin reels. They cast very nicely, although I'd want something a little more stout if catching 4# trout on a regular basis.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 30, 2010 08:54PM

I'm with George, the Mudhole blanks are very nice for the money. I built a pink 5'6" for my daughter to catch bluegills and I paired it with a Zebco. A large trout will give you all you can handle on that blank.

jeremy

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2010 10:01PM

Bill,

It's a light weight glass blank made for fresh water use not a stand up tuna rod. Built the rod won't weigh much more than a composite or graphite rod.

Tight lines,

JH

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: October 01, 2010 08:58AM

Charles,
the mudhole IS561L will do the job. Well. Its light and tough. If you can add 6 to 8 inches on the butt that blank becomes even more versatile. Split grip worked better for me than pistol. Cork grips. I have cast down to 1/24 lures with that blank and use it for stocked winter trout as well as white bass. A split shot and power bait trout doughball throws well even in a breeze; salmon eggs too.
Mudhole has some strange numbers on their website when it comes to lures ratings, the next blank up in the CRB range,the IS601L, is wrongly marked as 3/8ths to 1/2 oz and yet it loads well with 1/8. I fish it with 4lb test too, they rate it 6-10. You may well find that an option too but its possibly a fraction too heavy.
For guides I used Minima 4's :8 6 and then 4's to the tip.Keep the build light.
Look at the possibility of an under spin setup too.It will reduce weight of rig. Less torque in the hand: a spiral wrap did little good for me on a spincast.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 01, 2010 09:19AM

Charles,

The Mudhole IS56L is a very nice blank for the money, and balances phenomenally with a 7" rear grip. The only thing is that they have very little lifting power at all. If the majority of the fish they catch are under a pound, this would be a great option. I've built a few of these to be paired with little Zebco 11s. All are spiral wrapped with a DF 6 and SF 5s to the tip. If building for a Zebco 33, I would probably go to DF 8 (maybe even a 10 as the opening in the reel face is pretty high, SF 6, and SF5s to the tip.

If the majority of the fish are over a pound, consider the SB720, ISB720, or the SB720-4 from Batson. I built up the SB720-4 for a rod to keep in the truck, and it is an impressive blank. Depending on how much their lures weigh, the tip may be just a tad on the stiff side, but if the total weight is around 1/16 oz. plus, they will be fine. This rod has plenty of backbone, and will perform admirably on the larger fish.

Joe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 01, 2010 09:21AM

If you see some strange numbers let them know. They did come on here and say there are some mis prints.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 02, 2010 06:28PM

I don't think the fact that you are buiding for a Zebco makes any difference. Like someone said, the issue is to match the action of the rod to the weight they will be throwing in order to load the rod properly when casting. As usual, everyone thinking light and ultra light chimes in with suggestions for 5 1/5-6 foot rods. That will not work as well as a longer rod because it will not cast as well nor will it set the hook as well. The weight of the fish has little to do with it either. The most important consideration is the casting, and for the light stuff like 1/8 oz, a rod 7 to 7 1/2 feet long with a slow action will be the ticket. If they use bobbers, longer rods will make it much easier to handle. Think something like a 3 weight fly blank with the right reel seat on it. I think with a rig like I'm suggesting, your parents will be amazed. They will be showing off their rods to their friends, and making you a hero. Look at the graphite, not glass, fly blanks, 3 weight, 7 1/2 feet long, moderate/fast action. You will find many at less than $50, and they will do a wonderful job. If you want more detail, contact me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster