I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Helmsman Spar Urethane
Posted by: Clinton Terry (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 30, 2010 09:13AM

Following up on Bill Stevens comment in response to my quandry with a camo rod blank, has anyone used Helmsman Spar Urethane (Minwax). If this is like spar varnish, then it might be suitable for outdoor use. Spar varnish however never hardens in my experience at least so it may be too soft to spray on a rod. Also, I am wondering whether it would dissolve any of the camo design. I do not know what the solvents are in this urethane, but if it it like Permagloss, which I believe is also a urethane, it may be too "hot" to apply. Any thoughts? Clinton

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Helmsman Spar Urethane
Posted by: Rob Hale (64.134.182.---)
Date: September 30, 2010 09:17AM

It dries hard as a rock. I think this was also pointed out in the RM article on using it to finish carbon skin grips.

Date: September 30, 2010 09:31AM

Good to know. Do you think it could be sprayed on a reel seat to protect the laminate (desgin) on it? Clinton

Posted by: Rob Hale (64.134.182.---)
Date: September 30, 2010 09:45AM

Sure. It has a very slight amber tint to it. Just keep that in mind if you are working with anything white.

Posted by: William Kreher (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 30, 2010 09:47AM

I have just purchassed a can and plan to use it on a repainted, rebuilt rod. It is labeled as for "Indoor/Outdoor" use. It does contain a warning that it may yellow slightly over light material. Also, three lite coates are recommended for outdoor applications. These can be applied 1 and 1/2 hours apart .

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 30, 2010 10:15AM

It won't melt nor harm anything you spray it over. It's mild and yet dries very hard. A very good product and one recommended for marine use.

Date: September 30, 2010 10:31AM

Will denatured alcohol remove it once it has dried? I have also heard that it takes a long time to dry. I live in So. FL so the humidity down here is pretty high. Clinton

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 30, 2010 11:24AM

Not sure, I doubt it. You can always test it on a piece of scrap blank. The Helmsman has instructions on the can for drying and recoating times. It is not a moisture curing product such as PG.

Posted by: Steven Garvey (192.133.254.---)
Date: September 30, 2010 12:37PM

I live in Mass. and work in my cellar. Used some Helmsman the other night.
For me it takes a couple days to ensure it is thoroughly dry and hard.
I have used it over Krylon Fusion paint and had no problems. I let the paint ry for two days also.

Posted by: William Kreher (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 30, 2010 02:59PM

To follow on to Steven's posting. I looked for Krylon Fusion paint in my local Home Depot and they no longer carry the brand. However, they do carry the Rust Olium line and they also have a product for plastic. This appears to be the same thing as Fusion. I compared the products specs with those from the Krylon web site and they were identical. You may find this to be an acceptable substitute if you cannot locate the Krylon Fusion. I used two coates of gloss black over a dark green rod and it looks fine. The Helmsman will be applied in a few days.

Date: September 30, 2010 03:55PM

I found some fusion paint at an auto parts store and if I am not mistaken Mud Hole carries some of it. Clinton

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: September 30, 2010 08:29PM

Perfect use for the product. Build yourself a "mini paint booth" from a cardboard box and a portable rod dryer. While the reel seat is spinning, spray a light coat ... do 3-4 coats, with dry time in between. Clear as a bell AND it is hard as heck.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

BTW, it dries very well in Florida ... not even a slight issue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2010 08:30PM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 02, 2010 08:12AM

I use it over cord grips on surf rods, and hard as a rock is right: my cord grips, when cured, are absolutely bulletproof. I love this method on grips - they hold up to saltwater, fish slime, sand, being banged against jetty rocks, pilings, my mother-in-law's head, etc. Some guys don't like these grips - they're a blah off-white color, and not very aesthetically beautiful to look at; they're also very, very hard, and can be abrasive on hands. It's a taste thing: some guys love cord grips, and others hate them. You can tell which camp I belong to by the fact that I don't build surf rods with anything else.

When cured, it will absolutely hold up to the elements outside. Whether it will screw up your camo design while it cures, I have no idea: it's not clear, and might ruin the coloring. But it might be worth experimenting on a scrap piece of blank, because it will almost certainly provide the protection you want once it's cured.

Posted by: Charles Ungs (---.linncounty.org)
Date: October 06, 2010 05:16PM

The product is what we use to coat snowshoes when we build them or make repairs. It is very durable, retains enough flex to not crack in the cold even with the flex one can imagine inherent in the decking of a set of 'shoes - and in my experience will yellow significantly on the snowshoes and the white tubular nylon we use for the lacing - but keep in mind that we use many coats and encourage very thick coats to ensure that the user wears out varnish rather than the lacing or frames. The UV inhibitors are good medicine that I would say will be beneficial from a rodbuilding perspective.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster