I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Short 8 Wt. Fly Blanks Anywhere?
Posted by: John Gertz (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: September 29, 2010 06:00PM

Is anyone making available a short (7'-6" to 8'-0") 8 wt., 3 or 4 pc. fly blank? I want to build one and can't find a supplier that makes them available. I know Reddington (Predator), Sage (Bass) and Ross (FlyStik) sell them, but am wondering if others do, or plan to. I wish Batson or St. Croix had them available. I've tossed around the idea of building one based on the multi-piece bass/spinning blanks, but I'd be taking a chance; buy it, CCS test it and hope to get lucky. Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Short 8 Wt. Fly Blanks Anywhere?
Posted by: Andrew Metzger (199.117.182.---)
Date: September 29, 2010 06:27PM

Look at some of the salmon/steelhead blanks

I know sage makes one and I believe that the dorber group makes one.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: September 29, 2010 06:40PM

Buy yourself a lighter popping blank and build your own ferrules. They work great and can be purchased very inexpensively ... something along the lines of a Rainshadow IP902 would be my choice.

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net)
Date: September 29, 2010 07:15PM

i built one up with a Batsin IP840, 7' one peice. I agree the 902 might work out for you. The 840 turned out to work best for me with a six weight line although an eight worked. It is too short, it's wierd having a deer hair bass bug go flying past your ear while casting.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.216.220.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: September 29, 2010 08:50PM

John,
My 8' 8 weight is actually a Cabela's Traditional II 8 foot 5 weight.
After buying and building the rod I found it to cast an 8 weight line much better than the 5 it was rated for. Easily throws 80+ feet of 8 weight line. Very moderately priced too. So good I purchased a spare blank.
Sorry it is a 2-piece though.

Eugene Moore

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2010 08:51PM by Eugene Moore.

Date: September 29, 2010 08:54PM

Great suggestions, I'll follow up on these and see what I can do. I really wish St. Croix, Batson, or any blank builder would make these available. I think the shorter length in heavier line weights is just right for many situations.

Date: September 29, 2010 09:01PM

Eugene,
Good point! Come to think of it, I've done CCS tests on a lot of short rods in the 5-6 wt. catagory that tested 7-8 wt. I'll bet I could hunt one of those down in a 3 or 4 pc.

John Gertz

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.218.128.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: September 29, 2010 11:04PM

John,
If you opt to use a spinning or casting rod a light power should carry an 8 weight line.
Med-light is approx a 10 weight and ultra-light is a 4 or 5 weight.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 30, 2010 07:48AM

CTS - will build anything you wish.
ctsfishing.com
Herb

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 30, 2010 08:02AM

get a pad and start a list A spin or cast 3 - 4 piece that is for about 1/2-5/8 lire . Then see if you can get numbers CCS on them to be sure.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2010 09:07AM

Dorber makes an 8', 3 piece 8wt blank. F968/3

[www.dorber.com]

I have an 8wt fly rod built on a St. Croix III spinning rod blank. It works OK, but is not ideal.

You could also get a 10'+, 8wt 4 piece blank and build on the top three sections. Batson makes a 10'8" switch rod blank that could work.
IF1088-4

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2010 09:10AM by Bob Riggins.

Date: September 30, 2010 11:45AM

Has anyone built and used the 8', 3 piece 8wt Dorber fly rod mentioned above? I just emailed them for more info on the blank and hope to hear back soon, but I'm especially interested in hearing from someone that has built one, or any of their other fly blanks for that matter.

John Gertz

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 01, 2010 12:50PM

John,
I had CTS build me a one-off Affinity-MX 7'6" #6, 2pc. But it loads with a #8 better. I use it for small back-bay stripers on Cape Cod. Lots of guts. Have caught bass over 30" on it - no prob.
Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster