I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to mount temporary gudes to fish..then remove?
Posted by: Jim Williams (---.br1.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 29, 2010 03:12PM

I have a 13' fly rod blank I intend to build it into a two hander some day. Meanwhile, my favorite steam opens up in a couple of days. I would like to mount some temporary guides on this blank to go fishing, sorta Tenkara Style....or dappling if you will.

But later on I want to take these guides off and build the rod.

I am going to use cork tape, or waterproof medical tape for a temporary grip material and just tape a reel on.

What would be a good way to mount guides all along the blank strong enough to fish with? And then remove them later on to build the rod?

Small tyraps, duct tape, wrapped thread with no epoxy, heat shrink.....?

oh...and can I get by with single foot guides...or should I use double foot guides for a temporary mount?

Thanks if any answers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to mount temporary gudes to fish..then remove?
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 29, 2010 03:17PM

wrapped thread with no epoxy. DOn't even tie off each guide just spiral on th blank between each guide - scroll to the bottom of this page: [northeastrodbuilders.com] the guids were temp wrapped in this maner and held up just fine - the just spun around to th bottom of th rod but held on no problem

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 29, 2010 03:19PM

Rod Building Thread, several good coats of CP, let cure well, and go fishing. when you're ready to remove the guides, just slice the thread and unravel.

DR

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.222.105.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: September 29, 2010 05:36PM

I would guess that shrink wrap tubing would be a cost effective, easy to remove solution.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 29, 2010 06:18PM

Jim,
don't complicate things.
Just take 1/8th or 1/4 inch wide masking tape and tape on the guides.
Take along a roll of tape when you go fishing. If one guide happens to loosen, retape it.

Simple and easy.
Roger

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 29, 2010 07:15PM

Hi,

Anytime I want to test a rod set up I spiral wrap the guides in place and hold the guides on with 1 turn of masking tape. I have yet to have a guide move or come off. I have been know to fish the salt for a whole season this way

Capt Neil Faulkner

Date: September 29, 2010 07:44PM

Only problem with tape is the residue that some tapes leave behind.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 29, 2010 08:55PM

Billy,
Tape residue is a zero issue.

After removing the tape, simply take a paper towel that has been wetted with mineral spirits and give the rod a good wipe down.
The mineral spirits (paint thinner) is a perfect material to completely dissolve and remove the tape adhesive without harming the finish on the rod.

Then, simply take another towel that has been wetted with Alchol and rub the blank down with this towel to remove the residue oil film that has been left behind by the paint thinner or mineral spirits.

You really need to do the two step procedure, becuase alshol by itself is not such a good cleaner for the tape residue. This is in contrast to the mineral spirits which is a perfect cleaner for the tape residue.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: September 29, 2010 09:48PM

From what I have seen,mineral spirits or alcohol can remove the finish from some blanks. Or at least the colored "top coat." I would suggest doing a test where the handle and seat will be mounted BEFORE using either. Another consideration is Goo Gone.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: September 29, 2010 09:51PM

Ralph did a article in RM about putting guides on with no wrap he just super glued them in-place an put a couple of coats of c PG on them an went fishing. But when it came to replacing I believed he heated them an the fell off. I maybe wrong someone correct me

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Mark J. Mire (---.lf.br.cox.net)
Date: September 29, 2010 10:19PM

Jim,

I have encountered the same dilemma, I fished with just the thread holding the guides for the entire weekend. No CP or epoxy.
Now the threads where a little frayed and not suitable for finishing after the trip, but it was just fine for fishing.

Clean, re-thread and finish the rod after your trip and no-worries!

Catch a big one!

~Mark

Date: September 29, 2010 11:23PM

Bast part about using thrad s th guides are already held in place adn you do not needto cut off or peeloff or clean anything to re-wrap the guides.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.lava.net)
Date: September 30, 2010 03:29AM

Do a search on Sellotape on the following link:

[www.myfishcasting.com]

A search for tape will turn up some interesting results.

Also, if your guide feet are not perfectly smooth, put a wrap of tape under the guide foot.

Don Becker

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: October 05, 2010 02:16PM

Billy Vivona hit the nail on the head. Wrap the guides without a finish on them. If the rod feels good and you are happy with the placement and the wraps are still in good condition, rinse the rod let it dry and apply finish. If the wraps are frayed or damaged in any way, you know your placement is good re-wrap and finish.

Tight lines,

John Hernandez

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster