I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spiral wrap jig
Posted by: mitchell read (---.jetstream.xtra.co.nz)
Date: September 28, 2010 06:13AM

hay guys wondering i rember a while back a website had a spiral wrap jig to download and cutt out any one els seen this or no ware i can download one??? if not what tools r u guys useing to get ur angles cheers mitch

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spiral wrap jig
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 28, 2010 07:15AM

I use the line to tell me where the straightest angle is After the guides are on - starting point- then when static testing I look for the line to stay in the middle of the guides closest to the blank and adjust Keeping the line as straight as possible. .

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 28, 2010 07:23AM

Hi,

My fellow rod builders and I use our eyes. This is not rocket science. It is a simple basic tool to catch a fish. I place more importance on using the correct blank for the task. Proper guide layout is more important, distance between guides and size of guide.

I place the first guide above the fore grip between 10 and 20* off top dead center. The transition guide is near 90*. The next guide up is about 175 to 180*. All the rest are at 180*. After the guides are wrapped on you can install the reel, run line thru the guides, pull down on the tag end of the line and see how the line transitions then you can move the guides sideways if needed.

I lay out the guides on the top of the blank using the static deflection method. Then I rotate all but the bottom 2 guides to 180* (under the blank). I set guides #1 and 2 as described above. Usually my stripper guide is a # 20 or a #16 so my 2nd guide is a #16 or a #12. Between the first 2 guides, at the halfway location, I place my transition guide at 90* and it is usually a # 10 guide. I have found that using the smaller guide gives me better line transition, clearance to blank and entry/exit to the guides in the transition area.

I believe in the KISS method, (Keep it simple stupid). My customers who fish the spirals are happy with this setup because it works.

Some builders prefer to be more technical and design to different standards. That is fine because a finished rod can tell much about the designer/builder. Just have fun building a good functional rod and enjoy catching fish with it or listening to your customers brag about their rods. Whatever you add to the functionality of the basic rod is great.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2010 08:11AM

Check @#$%& on the left column for sponsors, click on "what's an Acid Rod" on the left, click on "Acid rod construction" on the right, and a degree wheel will pop up that you can printout. Just make a little pointer stand to start at a zero reference and you're all set. I use mine for all of my spiral wraps.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2010 08:15AM

Check @#$%& on the left column for sponsors, click on "what's an Acid Rod" on the left, click on "Acid rod construction" on the right, and a degree wheel will pop up that you can printout. Just make a little pointer stand to start at a zero reference and you're all set. I use mine for all of my spiral wraps.

Posted by: steve clark (---.cstel.net)
Date: September 28, 2010 10:35AM

Acid Rod has one posted @ rodbuildingtutorials.com . . . look under Papers, Charts & Tables for Degree Wheel w/ Instructions. And if it's the first time you've been to Ray Adam's "Rod Builder's Library", be prepared to spend quite a awhile just browsing !

– smc –

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2010 10:48AM

I agree with Capt Neil on the guide layout.

The upper 2/3rds of the guides are on the lower side of the rod and are no issue.

The first and any transition guides are the only issue and are best laid out and tweaked with the reel and line to be used on the rod to do the final alignment.

i.e. Align the butt and transition guides so that you get an effortless line out, and line in, with perfect stacking of the line across the reel as you reel in.

If you have the butt guide misaligned you will find that the line will tend to stack on one side of the reel as you reel in a relatively slack line.

If you have the transition guides either of the wrong size and or misaligned, you will find that the line is rubbing on these guides as the line either goes out or in.

Lay out the bottom guides, place the butt and transition guides in initial spots with initial angular alignment and tweak as needed to give you the line and reel characteristics that you need on your rod.

The size, width, and height of the reel are all factors in this alignment, so it is good to use a reel of the same size as will finally be used on the rod by the user.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster