I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

want to do a weave, need guidance
Posted by: Charles Lechner (---.sip.clt.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 25, 2010 07:19AM

I have never tried a fancy weave and I would like to make a rod for my parents for Christmas. I would like to do a weave of a traditional Navajo pattern. So is there a 'best' book to use as a teaching guide for practicing and learning how to do a weave like this? AND does anyone know of a pattern in a book that could be followed for this type of weave?

If it makes a difference this is going to be done on a 6' - 7' general purpose casting blank for fresh water. I haven't decided on the blank quite yet, Just wanted to make it clear it would not be on a larger salt water blank.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: want to do a weave, need guidance
Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: September 25, 2010 08:36AM

Jim Upton's book, A Guide to Thread Weaving, is a good source and available from several sponsors on the left. Read it and then decide how intricate of a pattern you want to tackle.

Posted by: Scott Kleppe (---.230.55.67.dyn.southslope.net)
Date: September 25, 2010 09:10AM

Doc Ski also has two super videos on weaving. I highly recommend Jim's book and both of these videos.

SK Custom Rods
American Tackle Pro Staff

Fish now, cause you'll be dead for a long time.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 25, 2010 11:54AM

Yep. Jim Upton's book and Doc Ski's dvd's are "must haves" for those who want to learn to thread weave. The book by Dale Clemens "Custom Rod Thread Art" also covers weaving and has some patterns too.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 25, 2010 11:58AM

Charles,

Your email address is hidden. I'd like to help you further so please email me at rcadams1957@msn.com

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: September 25, 2010 01:23PM

Charles; Far be it from me to talk you out of buying my book but are you sure it's a weave you want. To weave a pattern is one thing but to weave it 360 degrees around the rod is quite another. You didn't say specifically what you intend to do so that's why I'm asking. Doing a 360 degree weave for your first weave will certainly make any weave you do after that a piece of cake.

A good deal of time will be needed to get the pattern to fit the blank and you will need a Wonder Weaver to accomplish the weave. Have you thought about a cross wrap? If you decide to go ahead with the Weave and need help setting it up don't hesitate to E-Mail me. There is a small section in my book on the 360 degree weave but other sections apply as well, but if this is your first weave you'll need more of an explanation.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 25, 2010 03:06PM

So you don't get discouraged with a complex weave on the first try at weaving, I suggest you practice doing a few silhouette weaves to get the thread movements down and the packing and adjusting your threads.

Posted by: Charles Lechner (---.sip.clt.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 25, 2010 04:01PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I may be using an incorrect term in calling it a weave, but I would like to create a small pattern on the top and bottom or one pattern that basically is centered on top that wraps most of the way around the rod. I got the hair brained idea aftter seeing the color blends on the NERBS site and thought hmm. Seeing the dragon, and Billy V's stuff at ICRBE well, that didn't help, other than to fire me up. I will get the book and DVD's ASAP.

Wraps with all kinds of accent threads are nice and different inlays can be pretty cool, but a weave, well that will show some dedication to the task and I know they will like it. I already did one spinning rod for them for Christmas that I did in a purple pearl with pink, white, and silver flames (air brushing is easy way to add pop) and used hot pink thread with the purple flash accents. Painted the reel seet in the purple pearl as well. Just what a couple of octogenarians that camp and fish from Mothers day till Labor day need to feel young!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster