I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Newbie Rod Bulder & Forum
Posted by: Ray Zamora (38.108.42.---)
Date: September 24, 2010 03:11PM

Greetings forum members, I'm an avid fisherman and would like to learn how to repair rods and ultimately wrap and design my own to develop a retirement business. I subscribed to Rod Maker publication, checked the "Library" and read some of the FAQ on the forum. Do you have any other recommendation or suggestion that I read to educate my self in the industry. In addition, I would like to visit the Custom Rod Expo in February and meet some of you.

Thank you and tight wraps

Aquarius Rods - Ray
Pembroke Pines, Fl

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newbie Rod Bulder & Forum
Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: September 24, 2010 03:34PM

Ray if at all possible take a ride over to MudHole Oct 9th for their open house you will meet some great people all willing to help and maybe find some good buys as well
John

Posted by: Matthew Smith (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: September 24, 2010 04:14PM

By all means attend both of those events, and also I would highly recommend Tom Kirkman's book called Rod Building Guide, most likely available from one of the sponsors on the left of this screen. Its a very good primer and reference tool. Most importantly, however, meet people, ask a lot of questions, and jump in with both feet, buy some cheap materials and get started to see how much you really like it. Take an old, beat up rod that you already own, strip it down, buy or make a cheap wrapping set-up (plenty of how-tos on that here) and rebuild it, even if you use the same guides, just for practice. You are at the right place to start. Printed materials, especially books, get dated pretty quick, so I wouldn't worry about that so much.

The big thing is, have fun, good luck, and prepare to be addicted! It's a lot of fun and there are a lot of great people here to help you out.

Matt Smith
Greensboro, NC

Date: September 24, 2010 04:32PM

Thanks. Mudhole - what city/location? I'm in South Florida. I was planning on their rod building class in Fort Myers or Ft. Lauderdale May 2011.

Aquarius Rods - Ray
Pembroke Pines, Fl

Date: September 24, 2010 04:34PM

Thank you and appreciate the recommendations and feed back.

Aquarius Rods - Ray
Pembroke Pines, Fl

Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prvdri.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 24, 2010 04:34PM

Hi Ray,
I grew up in Carol City not to far from you. Still have friends in Pembroke Pines. I live in Rhode Island now and been building for years. It's great fun and can make some extra cash. It just takes time and your name will get around. Take your time and be patient and rerwrap and rewrap also the help you can get from everyone here is priceless. All the builders here I find will not hold back and help with any problems or questions. Bill from Jersey makes me laugh with the remarks he comes up with.

Dave Loren
Daves Custom Flyrods
Warren, R.I.

Date: September 24, 2010 04:40PM

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm planning ahead so time is on my side.

Thanks again, Dave.

Aquarius Rods - Ray
Pembroke Pines, Fl

Posted by: Russell Brunt (12.77.249.---)
Date: September 24, 2010 06:11PM

Ray, I'm pretty new at this but I'm willing to help. So far I have hooked up with two other forum members in our area. Of course I can't speak for them but I'd imagine they would help as well.

Click on my name and you should be able to send an email. You might want to "unhide" yours. I'd tell you to just look up my name and call but I use my phone line to get on-line.....lol.

Hmmmm....live on a terrace? I could call?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Ray Zamora (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 24, 2010 06:54PM

Thanks, Russ. I unhid my e-mail address.

Aquarius Rods - Ray
Pembroke Pines, Fl

Posted by: Tom St.Clair (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 24, 2010 07:11PM

Welcome Ray,
to both the forum and to custom rod building.
You will get many hours of enjoyment building rods.

tms

--------------------------------

tom in indy

Date: September 24, 2010 10:36PM

Thanks, Tom.

Aquarius Rods - Ray
Pembroke Pines, Fl

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: September 25, 2010 12:45AM

Ray I have been adicited for 30 plus yars . I is forsur I am es werst speler hera LOL When it comes to questions, the answers you will get are true from the heart. We all have made them when we first started Welcome aboard

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse2.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 25, 2010 05:52AM

Greetings from another 30 + year rod builder. This is by far the best rod building forum around so take note of the answers to questions posted. However there is no substitute for practice. Strip a few old rods and rebuild them, buy a couple of blanks and make yourself some new ones. You'll make mistakes but thats part of the learning curve, even experienced builders have to redo some things to get them right. You will learn more from your own mistakes than relying on other people to solve your problems. If you want to try something new do it on an old scrap blank or a piece of tube. Things might seem straightforward but until you try them you won't know all the steps needed to get it right, often more than once.
Rodbuilding is a great hobby and even if you don't make some extra cash you'll get a a tremendous amount of enjoyment out of it. Theres still not much better than catching a fish on a rod you've built yourself.
Good luck.
ESFNEM Col

Date: September 25, 2010 10:56AM

Agreed - this is the best forum. The welcome replies and suggestion have been nothing short of enlightening. I bought my bench at Costco and designated my garage "the work shop." I researched the forum last night for hand wrapper v. power wrapper and read a great forum discussion. The next step is investing in a hand wrapper to re-wrap my first childhood fishing rod that I preserved for decades now. I will keep you posted! Looking forward to my first Rod Builder magazine and plans to attend the 2011 show.

Thanks to all!

Aquarius Rods - Ray
Pembroke Pines, Fl

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: September 25, 2010 11:27AM

YOu will be blown away by the ICRBE in high point. Hard to believe it until you see it in person..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster