I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Convert regular rod into travel rod??
Posted by: John Mahon (---.b-ras3.mvw.galway.eircom.net)
Date: September 24, 2010 11:39AM

Hi all,

I am hoping to travel to New Zealand shortly and I would like to bring my Greyflex m2 rod with me- its an 11ft 7/8 weight rod that breaks down into three pieces- about 4ft long. I would love to be able to get the rod into a rucksack to avoid all the hassle at airports etc. What would you all think about adding another three breaks into the rod, to make it a 6-piece? Would it be possible, or would too much damage be done to the rod in the process?

If it is possible to do it, can anyone recommend a rod builder/ repairer in Ireland who might take on the job for me?

Thanks,

John.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Convert regular rod into travel rod??
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 24, 2010 11:43AM

It can be done.

It would be a lot easier to get a rod with the pieces you need ???

Don't know about Ireland

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: September 24, 2010 11:56AM

You stand the chance of someone saying yes, they can do it, then ruining a completely good rod. I think like Bill said just get another rod that is equivilent to what you want and need.

Ron Weber

Posted by: Joe Robbins (---.direcpc.com)
Date: September 24, 2010 01:55PM

I wouldn't even consider cutting up a rod that I liked, I'd get what you need and build it up.
My .02 which is worth .01

Joe

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: September 24, 2010 03:18PM

John,

I think by now you are getting a good idea of what we think about trying to convert your rod. I hole heartedly agree with all the comments you have received thus far. Start fresh and make what you need.

Tight lines,

John

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 24, 2010 04:01PM

John,
A better idea is to simply make a pvc case for the rod, to prevent breakage.
Then, drill a couple of holes in the pipe to allow for a secure strapping system to your rucksack.

Really simple to solve the problem.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: John Mahon (---.b-ras3.mvw.galway.eircom.net)
Date: September 24, 2010 06:15PM

Hey guys thanks I really appreciate the advice, makes a lot of sense just to leave well alone!!
And I do have a case for it already so I don't really have much of an excuse, I just thought it would be nice to be able to put it into my rucksack and avoid excess baggage fees, or getting it sent to the wrong airport etc.
So... back to the drawing board! I actually never considered making my own rod from scratch before, but it could be a pretty good project to make a travel rod to my own spec.
Thanks for the suggestions,

John.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 24, 2010 09:01PM

RodMaker has an article on how to do it, and Ralph O'Quinn has given seminars at the Expo on how to make ferrules for multi-piece rods. Properly done, you can hardly tell the rod from a one-piece model.

Having said that, it does require careful and painstaking work. Thus, if you can find a blank that is along the lines of what you want, you'll get by more quickly and easily by just building up what you want from the get go.

Date: September 25, 2010 06:08PM

John,
Even with a 4 foot rod tube, I think you should be able to have it as a carry on. Simply have a hook on it so the case can be hanged in the hanging area of the plane.
Check with your airlines.

Roger

Date: September 25, 2010 06:13PM

Here is a link from the Delta Airlines site with respect to baggage requirements etc. for sporting goods including fishing rods.
Roger

[www.delta.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster