I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Under wraps for guides
Posted by: Tom St.Clair (---.dhcp-in.iupui.edu)
Date: September 24, 2010 11:17AM

I made a post a while back asking about types of thread. I had asked about Maderia and was given the following info.

"The Maderia polyneon thread is mostly used for decorative wraps due to its color selection. The thread is an embroidery thread and has silicone added to make it slide through the machine easier. I have used it for guide wraps but it is a little tough to work with."

I mess up......I just made an order of supplies and thread it seems that I was STUPID and forgot one thread color. Of course that color is one that I need for under wrap on one of my first rods. I do not want to order just 1 spool of thread and pay 3X more for shipping than the thread. I can not find anyplace in Indy that has wrapping thread. There is a sewing shop that has Maderia so...........My question is, can Maderia be used for under wraps?

thanks for the help

tom

--------------------------------

tom in indy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Under wraps for guides
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 24, 2010 11:38AM

Sure. just put at least two good coats of CP if you don't want fish eyes.

This a heavy rod - do you need an under wrap. On lighter rods it will just add weight.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Wes Christy (---.rh1.dyn.cm.comporium.net)
Date: September 24, 2010 11:48AM

i just built my first rod and used only maderia for everything. Underwraps and guidewraps. so far so good. i did howver put two coats of CP on everything. the rod was a 6'6" e glass trolling rod if this helps.

Posted by: Tom St.Clair (---.dhcp-in.iupui.edu)
Date: September 24, 2010 11:56AM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sure. just put at least two good coats of CP if
> you don't want fish eyes.
>
> This a heavy rod - do you need an under wrap. On
> lighter rods it will just add weight.

It is not a "heavy rod" I guess I could do trim bands, for efect, of the lighter color.....
I was taught to do under wraps on the guides.....

thanks, you are making me think...........ouch thinking hurts..... }G{

tms

tom in indy

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 24, 2010 12:02PM

If the guides are ( prepped well ) especially where they lay on the blank You probably don't need them.

If you are going to cast it, you may not want them

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 24, 2010 12:08PM

IMO, I think underwraps on a fresh water rod would only add unwanted weight and serve no purpose

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Matt Ekhaml (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: September 24, 2010 11:14PM

Unless you are putting a lot of epoxy on the underwraps, the weight an underwrap will add can be measured in milligrams. I underwrap all guides except on fly rods used in fresh water.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 25, 2010 10:09AM

Believe it or not, but the weight added by underwraps on most light to medium freshwater type rods can actually be felt in the hand. It can certainly be measured with something like the Common Cents CCF measurement.

They're not at all necessary from any functional aspect, so unless you simply feel you need to add them for some aesthetic purpose, you might want to omit them.

Date: September 25, 2010 07:44PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> They're not at all necessary from any functional
> aspect, so unless you simply feel you need to add
> them for some aesthetic purpose, you might want to
> omit them.
>
> ............

Maybe not on light freshwater or fly rods. Build heavy freshwater or almost any saltwater rods, and you might want to reconsider. Show me a factory saltwater rod WITHOUT an underwrap, and I'll bet it's a cheapo found at WalMart or Big 5.

Date: September 25, 2010 08:03PM

I was talking about "light to medium" type freshwater rods.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 25, 2010 08:55PM

i build musky and salmon trolling rods used with lead core line and have never used an underwrap and have never gad a problem.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 25, 2010 09:56PM

As someone who builds only fly rods, I never even think about under-wraps. A question...what purpose does an under-wrap serve? Is it real, or just something that has been done and survives today into the era of modern materials and concepts?

Date: September 25, 2010 10:00PM

I understand, Tom. I prefer to underwrap. I'm not trying to be critical. It's just my preference.

Date: September 26, 2010 07:52AM

I understand. I was just pointing out in my post to Mr. St. Clair that they serve no functional purpose on these type rods. There is not much evidence they serve any purpose on heavier rods, either, but the minor weight added really isn't going to affect any rod with any heft to it anyway.

Posted by: Tom St.Clair (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 26, 2010 10:05AM

Tom K. I did not realize that my dad had made a post }G{

I guess that Tom,Tom, Tom, ...... can get REAL confusing..........

Like I said 30+ years ago I was taught to do them on everything.
Even 6' ultralight (Fenwick SP621) but "we" were using a double foot Fuji guides too.

Thanks for the info

tom in indy

tom in indy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster