I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

too many?
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 24, 2010 09:04AM

I have asked if 12, 2mm guides plus tip, would be to many for 7'6" MHMF crankn rod, So, what I'm asking is why? Is it the weight? I nave no idea!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: too many?
Posted by: Rob Hale (64.134.182.---)
Date: September 24, 2010 09:17AM

Not sure about it being too many, but it's more than you need. Why use more than you need? That's just extra weight.

Date: September 24, 2010 09:21AM

I was just thinking, after the tiger wrap, and decorative wrap on front of reel seat, it wouldn't matter so much, and that will I got them i might as well put them on, I will do the static test, and make up my mind. I probably will just keep them for next rod.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.wpa3.kent.edu)
Date: September 24, 2010 10:16AM

When you set up your guide train, you want the line to follow the natural curve of the blank as well as possible. By adding guides, we can't keep the line in contact with the entire length of the rod, so we must approximate by breaking the curve into straight line sections. If guides were massless, the more, the merrier, as you would be able to match the path perfectly with an infinite number of guides, but guides are not massless.

Since guides are not massless, every time we add a guide, we add mass to the rod, and adversely affect the performance of the rod. The penalty gets much worse as you approach the tip section of the blank. The extra mass slows the response of the rod, lengthens the damping time of the rod, decreases the amplitude of vibrations traveling through the rod, and increases the inertia of the rod. So, a guide train must be a compromise between following the curve of the rod, and minimizing the loss of performance.

With that said, other things come into play. A rod with too few guides will not move as much line during a hook set, because you have a bow string effect that bends the rod away from the path of the line. This shortens the length of the path between the reel and the tip of the line. You will find many factory rods that take years of abuse with length(in feet)-1 or so guides, which means that they distribute the load well enough, but the tradeoff is that they may not be as efficient when setting the hook. Use too few guides, and you lose the ability to move the amount of line you need. Use too many, and you aren't changing the path length of the line enough to make much difference.

By using micros, you are adding much less weight to the rod than you would with 6mm guides. Your entire set of 12 micros will weigh about as much as two 6mm fly guides, and you will use about half of the amount of thread and finish to wrap them. The rule of thumb for guide number of length(in feet)+1 would put you in the ball park of 9 6mm guides on that rod. By choosing the micros, you already have done a lot to reduce weight in the tip section and increase the overall performance of the rod. The question that remains is will it take 9, 10, 11, or 12 guides to give you the performance that you are looking for, as well as the aesthetic look you want? After all, when working with micros, I usually find myself using about length(in feet)+2 guides to get the aesthetic look I want in the line path, and pay a very small penalty in performance.

As Rob said, 12 guides may be more than you need, but if you are satisfied with both the performance and aesthetics of the rod, then the rod is custom built to your taste. After all the only person that needs to be happy with the rod is the one holding the rod on the water.

Joe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 24, 2010 10:24AM

Rule of thumb or to start is one per foot plus one So a 7'6 would be thought of as a 8 foot. So 8 + one is 9 - to start, then static test to see how the line follows the blank. And go out in the yard and practice cast.

And yes it is weight.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 24, 2010 10:38AM

I was looking at my ST.Croix rod, it has 9 plus tip and it is only a 7' rod, and they are not micros, but they are those nickle titanium guides which is light and one of the main reasons I had bought the rod. and it hasd a really good at the hook set, I had hook plenty of bass with that rod, its a med, fast and also got a med heavy, both do a great job at hook sets, so like you said it to the builders taste, i'll static test it and maybe the extra guyides will cover up the blemishes, lol!

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 24, 2010 10:43AM

Joe;
Very well spoken or in this case written!

Were where you at two weeks ago when I was trying to explain your chapters 2 and 3 with my limited vocabulary.

Date: September 24, 2010 10:56AM

I really don't know, but, thats one thing I will certainly have to do, is subscribe to the RodBuilders mag. Thank You! I have noticed on those factory rods like St Croix, they look like they have like a thin epoxy finish, cause it's different then the ones that are finished with like Pg or LS, and sometimes a lot smoother! I wonder what do they use, an epoxy with a thinner and a hardener?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 24, 2010 11:21AM

You should also check out the Library Page on the top right. A lot of good reading - not many pictures LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 24, 2010 11:48AM

Steve as Gomer tells Andy -

Surprise Surprise Surprise!

Joe is one of THOSE PEOPLE!

A physics guy at a major University who builds good fishing rods and knows how to use them!

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.wpa3.kent.edu)
Date: September 24, 2010 12:05PM

Steve,
I was watching, and you got your points across very well. When the like of you, Emory, and Bill start talking, I listen up and pay attention. I hope I get to meet and shake each of your hands at some point, along with a host of others I haven't named in this post.

Bill,
Thanks for the kind words.

Joe

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: September 24, 2010 04:39PM

Joe,
I think that your answer to Lorenzo's question was excellent and covered all of the bases. I would like to shake your hand some day as well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster