I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Building speed
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 23, 2010 12:17PM

In the past there have been comments about the time required to do a particular job when building a rod.

As is the case with many things in life and in particular when you are trying to make some money, there is no reason to not do any part of a rod building job as fast as you can - that is consistent with PERFECTION.

i.e. In rod building, as with any other aspect of life, there is always one more job around the corner, or another job that will need to be scheduled as soon as the currnet one is complete.

So, my take is to set up the shop for a production style environment. i.e. do jobs of the same types in batches. i.e. lets say that you have a rod completion date for a dozen rods at the end of the week. Even though they may have different styles, handles guides and uses, the completion of the same job on each rod, is generally the most productive way to complete the entire job of delivering the dozen rods by the end of the week.

i.e. prep all of the blanks at one time.
Prep all of the handles at one time.
Glue up all of the handles at one time.
Clean up all of the glued up handles and blanks at one time.
Tape all of the guides on each blank at one time.
Wrap all of the guides at one time.
Letter all of the rods at one time.
Coat all of the rods at one time.
Dry all of the rods at one time.

Of course, things like drying have to be consistent with available shop tools. etc.

But, as was shown by Henry Ford in his auto factories, setup , take down, and clean up time in a production environment can eat into productivity.
So, by setting up for a particular job, and then running a batch of rods through that particular job means that you only have to set up, take down, and clean up from that particular job one time compared to multiple times before moving on to the next task.

The question came up recently about how fast one should wrap a guide. As listed above, I like to wrap as quick as I can, just as long as the wraps are perfect. If that means that it takes 2 seconds for a wrap, fine. If that means that it takes two days for a wrap - fine.
Just as long as it is perfect.

Every job and every shop is different, but if you get into a situation, where you need to batch out a bunch of rods with a given deadline - consider the use of the above listed suggestions.

Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Building speed
Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: September 23, 2010 01:02PM

Everything Roger says is true--particularly if you want to have a rod factory. However, if you are like mean and build rods for the love of building them and to make money as well, Roger's method would simply make this into a job. I suspect I would begin to dislike building rods if I accepted so much work that I had to apply mass production methods.

Roger I am not criticizing you or your method, but simply trying to offer a different model. A model that I think will keep you building rods and have the time to be innovative and creative in terms of what you do in your rod building. Unless I limit the number of rods and therefore the amount of money, I don't have time to think about how to apply new idea to my rod building.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 23, 2010 04:17PM

I do not think of my "custom rod building" as a production effort! Seeking perfection is fine, but rarely achieved, what I seek is a completed rod that more than satisfies the customer expectations and is something I am proud to say, "I built it!"

I agree with Michael, above, if I had to make it the most efficient PRODUCTION process, I'd very quickly lose interest.

If you visualize Henry Ford at one end of the spectrum and Leonardo da Vinci at the other, I suspect most custom rod builders are NOT advocates of the Model T Ford approach.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2010 06:30PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 23, 2010 04:21PM

I agree with Michael, The day it becomes a "job" is the day I quit building!! That may be a very effective business model, but I often wonder how many builders here are production builders who consider time as money OR who consider and love rodbuilding as an enjoyable and creative craft that also allows them to supplement their income.

When I was working and especially after I retired, the last thing that I wanted was another "job" (nothing wrong with that, if that's what one wants). I try to put a little of myself in every rod I build and try to make each one unique, I never duplicate a build exactly unless someone wants a matched pair or set.

I would be VERY interested in WHY each of you builds rods!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Nuno Paulino (---.119.108.93.rev.vodafone.pt)
Date: September 23, 2010 04:22PM

Custom rod building its something completely different of mass production. At least should be.
I live of rod building and repairs. This Winter i am going to make a few rods to a Portuguese brand. This time i have to work fast. But it will not be Custom rod building. Just rod building. And i can do the two works.
The difference is that when i make a Custom rod i don't look to the watch to see how much time i spend to wrap a guide. I take as long as i need to make it how i want and to be shore that the client will look to the rod and be shore that he had make the best choice when decide to buy a Custom rod. For me does not make any sense try to work really fast to make more Custom rods. Where is the passion on that? Where is the pride of seeing people steering at your rods? Working really fast will not give us that, just a few more Euros or in your case dollars. I know that i will never guet millionaire thinking like this but that's how i see rod building.
Just my opinion on this.
Abraço

Nuno

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 23, 2010 06:26PM

Ole'.... Nuno

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 23, 2010 06:46PM

Edit

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2010 09:01PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 23, 2010 07:34PM

Bill,
Thanks very much for the comment.

As much as anything else, I was attempting to point out in my original post that techniques developed by Mr. Ford in Detroit building his model A applies to rod building, whether it is labeled custom or not.

In addition, these same techniques apply to many many everyday tasks that we do as we go though and live our lives.

As I said in my original post, if any of the information in the post is useful to your in your everyday life - as you go about your business - whether working or playing use the techniques.

If nothing applies - no harm no foul.

I use similar techniques, when clearing the table, washing dishes, mowing the lawn or working on the car. Everyday tasks that are done on a daily basis and simply are accomplished easier with less muss and fuss using some of the techniques outlined above.

Roger

Posted by: Marco Antonio (---.cpe.vivax.com.br)
Date: September 23, 2010 08:44PM

Faço minhas, suas palavras de Nuno ! É exatamente o que acontece comigo

Marco Antonio (São Paulo) ( Brasil)

Posted by: Carlos Page (---.hsd1.de.comcast.net)
Date: September 29, 2010 12:15PM

I would add that some economy of materials and cost can be achieved when you have a numberof rods to build. An epoxy and finish mix can accomodate an extra rod or two without wasting excess. When you are on a roll, continuing to wrap is very productive. But all the custom touches need focused attention and TLC to make that custom rod an heirloom.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster