I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

kingfish live bait rod
Posted by: Wes Christy (---.rh1.dyn.cm.comporium.net)
Date: September 23, 2010 11:39AM

I usually fish for King Mackeral from a pier and was trying to find a lightweight fast action rod that has the strength and rigidity of a jigging rod. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: kingfish live bait rod
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: September 23, 2010 12:03PM

Wouldn't such a blank rip the bait off the hook when casting?

I really like the rainshadow RCLB line for kingfish. They are a traditional live bait rod. Very fast action with a soft tip. They are a composite so good compromise between weight and durability. They are very reasonable in price too. Fish them near the upper end of their ratings.

My kingfish rig is the rclb80xl with a penn 525 mag.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: September 23, 2010 12:13PM

Well actually there is no casting involved except with a surf rod that holds an anchor aproximately 100-150 yds from the pier. You then take the rod you are actually going to use to fight the fish and slide it down the anchor line with a release attached. That way when the fish hits the live bait, you detach and have just the rod you are fighting the fish with. Thats why im trying to find a lightweight heavy duty rod with a fast/soft tip, that has the back bone of a vertical jigging rod. Also I would like for the rod to be less that 7'.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: September 23, 2010 12:50PM

If casting isn't part of the equation, why not go with something with a moderate action? And if you are set on less than 7', take a look at the Rainshadow SWS65MH, a bit stouter than Russell's RCLB at 15-30#.. The IMU66 musky salt water blank is 6'6" with fast action, rated at 20-50#.

Posted by: thad peach (---.clt.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 23, 2010 06:06PM

You might look into the Seeker Hercules line SW 748H is a good 40 lb to 50 lb blank and is 7 foot. They are jigging blanks. I like to fish 80 lb hollow spectra for capacity on my fighting rod/reel with a short top shot of 60 lb mono for stretch. I fish small #6 and #4 treble hooks so I use very little drags. As most know you don't need this weight of line to land a King Mackerel according to where you fish you may need it when a Tarpon or Amber Jack jumps on and it helps when you have to horse a little when the sharks cue onto your king. I fish them on SC piers and I use a spiral wrapped rod just for this purpose. We lean our "fighting" sticks on the rail and without the spiral wrap you have to place a guide on the rail to keep the line off. Just bothers me when my line is touching something when a king strikes and smokes a run when you are a good distance away from the rod trying to catch more bait.

Thad
Dutchman's Creek Tackle

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 23, 2010 06:40PM

Th Hercules INshor Lite INS 72L is 15-30# and I think will fit the bill. Another Seeker that will work in that weight class is the SS-CLB 804, step up in power the SS CLB 806. The blank Thad mentioned is the INS 72H (label mix up)

I have prottpye 8 & 9'ers rated 15-30# and 30-60#. which are goign to be avaialble soon. Will post more whn I do more testing with them.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: September 24, 2010 07:47AM

Wes, how big are the fish? What pound test do you plan to fish? What type reel? How will the fish be landed? (I.E. Will you need to flip the fish onto the pier with the rod). Does the rod need to be durable enough to handle being rested against a railing while a fish strikes the bait?

You have some here fishing 60# and some fishing 15#. I've had better luck using moderate drag settings and letting the fish run. Heavy tackle and horseing them in has resulted in pulled hooks for me.

Why so short on the rod? I'd think a longer rod would be helpful for steering the fish around the pilings.

If I had deep pockets I'd love to try out a Phenix.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: thad peach (129.41.205.---)
Date: September 24, 2010 08:25AM

Russell Brunt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wes, how big are the fish? What pound test do you
> plan to fish? What type reel? How will the fish
> be landed? (I.E. Will you need to flip the fish
> onto the pier with the rod). Does the rod need to
> be durable enough to handle being rested against a
> railing while a fish strikes the bait?
>
> You have some here fishing 60# and some fishing
> 15#. I've had better luck using moderate drag
> settings and letting the fish run. Heavy tackle
> and horseing them in has resulted in pulled hooks
> for me.
>
> Why so short on the rod? I'd think a longer rod
> would be helpful for steering the fish around the
> pilings.
>
> If I had deep pockets I'd love to try out a
> Phenix.

I use a live bait rod for my fighting stick. No bouncing a king that high. Use a stainless grapple hook on a rope for a gaff. The fish are similar in size. The hook set is done by the king when it strikes the bait and light drag pressure on the reel initially and I too let the king make a couple of runs because of the small hooks and I do not want one that is still green around the pilings. Back when I started fishing for em we were using 4/0 trolling gear rollers and all. Now I use a Super Seeker 6470 H with the American Tackle Virtus guides. one sharp looking rod with those guides. 7 foot is sufficient in working a fish around the pilings.

Thad
Dutchman's Creek Tackle

Posted by: Lynn Huffman (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 24, 2010 10:52AM

I've built quite a few of these rods for Kingfishermen on the NC coast and in my opinion the best blank for the job is the Seeker CLB 704. Composite with a fiberglas tip and a graphite butt.

Date: September 24, 2010 11:39AM

i fish in the same manner as Thad and there are some times when you have to horse a 4-10 Lb. spanish out of the water when the toothies (i.e. sharks) are after them. So yeah it does have to have a little strength to it some times other wise though you are monouvering in and out of other rods so the length can come into play.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster