I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

<< Under wrap question ?? >>
Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 22, 2010 05:31PM

I was asked to replace all guide wrapps due to cracks and water damage on a short stand up boat rod..When I removed the first guide,the finish came off fairly easy,with a little heat from my blow dryer. The hard part was trying to get the finish off the under wrap,It was hard as nails, and would not soften up with a little heat from my blow dryer. I had to chip and peck at it until I got it off.
My question is.When I rewind the under wrap, is it best to apply cp on the under wrap,or do you use a lite coat of finsh and let it cure first before wrapping the guide on the underwrap ?? Thanks in advance for all suggestions. <<<<DON>>>>

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: << Under wrap question ?? >>
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: September 22, 2010 06:02PM

I like to put epoxy on the underwrap first then wrap the guide and coat it afterwards. I feel it offers protection from the guide feet and the thread lays better on the epoxy. I avoid CP when possible. This method can also allow one to remove a guide and leave the underwrap alone if it's coat of epoxy was allowed to cure enough before wrapping the guide.

If you have roller guides.....or stiff long footed guides....consider wrapping the guide, putting epoxy on it, and repeating again. Double guide wraps with an underwrap generally equals a lifetime job.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: September 22, 2010 06:53PM

Don,

I also coat the underwrap when building or repairing. I feel it makes it easier to wrap and it also allows you to use different size threads if needed. You can wrap Cor D over A, but you can't wrap A over C or D without it looking crappy. So if you ever have to wrap A over lager thread give it a good finish first. It also makes repairs a breeze.

Tight lines,

John Hernandez
San Jacinto, Ca.

Date: September 22, 2010 10:16PM

Hey John and Russell that you for the valuable information. The information will help in the repair plus in new builds that may come about.
<<<<DON>>>>

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 23, 2010 09:43AM

Those under-wraps sound like they had permagloss on them If they were good you could have left them on

When you give it your finale coats make sure to go over the thread and onto the blank just a little. This helps to keep water out from under the thread Also a good coat around the uprights

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 23, 2010 09:18PM

Bill,that was my plan to leave the under wrap alone,but the customer wanted a different color thread.Thanks for your tip. <<<<DON>>>>

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 23, 2010 10:43PM

O well, can't win them all LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 13, 2010 08:46PM

John M. Hernandez Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don,
>
> I also coat the underwrap when building or
> repairing. I feel it makes it easier to wrap and
> it also allows you to use different size threads
> if needed. You can wrap Cor D over A, but you
> can't wrap A over C or D without it looking
> crappy. So if you ever have to wrap A over lager
> thread give it a good finish first. It also makes
> repairs a breeze.
>
> Tight lines,
>
> John Hernandez
> San Jacinto, Ca.

Lorenzo. This might help you weather to epoxy your under wraps before putting your guides on. It is good information, I liked the part about making repairs a breeze

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster