I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Minima Guide finishes and performance
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: September 22, 2010 10:55AM

I have been using the M4 series on a lot of casting and spinning rods this season. It seems the TiCh finish guides fish a lot nicer/smoother with mono than the straight chrome finish. Am I dreaming or has anyone else noticed this?

****** I almost forgot to mention - I have used both a lot, and like them both!!!!!

Thanks,
Marc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2010 12:54PM by marc morrone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Minima Guide finishes and performance
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 22, 2010 10:56AM

I can't say because all I've fished thus far has been the hard chrome version. You may well be correct.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: September 22, 2010 11:47AM

Tom - if you don't mind me asking, have you fished any lighter mono (4# to 8# or so) on the hard chrome's? And did they do well?

Thanks,

Marc

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 22, 2010 12:14PM

Marc,
I have used both and I will agree that there is a slight difference in the action of the guides, with a slight nod toward the tich finish.
But, I have also found that it is dependent on the lb test line, type line, as well as the weight of the jig, lure or weight being cast.
The slight difference is more pronounced on lighther lures and harder casting lines.

Roger

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 22, 2010 02:25PM

I've used 6lb and it seems fine, but not as smooth as it is on ceramic of course. The coating on the TiChrome might give similar results.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 22, 2010 07:34PM

Hi,

I build using the Minima 4 hard chrome. I use them on party boat rods because the rings can not pop out as they are sitting in a u shaped channel. This prevents repairs. I find it interesting in what you post between the hard chrome and tich regarding casting. The party boat rods are used to drop sinkers to the bottom.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Date: September 23, 2010 11:55AM

Neil,
Although I have used both as I stated above, there may be a difference in the guide finish but it is tough to feel for the average person using the rod.

Roger

Date: September 23, 2010 12:04PM

p.s.
One way to check for guide finish difference is to use a new v shaped exacto knife and blade.

Gently insert the blade into the guide and slowly and gently sweep the new sharp blade around the perimeter of the interior of the guide. As the sharp knife blade sweeps around the interior of the guide it will catch on any imperfecton or draggy spots on the interior of the rig. You can select a variety of guides and repeat the test to get a feel for what differences, if any there are between guide styles and types.

For example, you can take virtually any of the high quality ceramic style guides and find virtually no difference in the "feel" or "slippereness" of the guide.

I think that you can find serious cost differences in guides as well as claimed differences in durability of guides.

I will leave it up to the user and buyer of guides, whether they are ringed guides or ringless guides to determine the best guide for their particular application.

Summay,

The use of the sharp v shaped exacto knife can pretty easily show differences in inner guide materials. It is up to the user of the particular guide to see if these differences are important for the rod being built.

The use of the exacto knife and blade is a much much better indication of inner guide condition than the classic use of q- tips to check for cracked or broken inner guide rings.

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster