I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CCS for Sage TXL 0710-3B
Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.sub-75-192-116.myvzw.com)
Date: September 22, 2010 08:22AM

Greetings fellow builders,

I haven't been on the rodboard in a while but I'm still using the CCS and building rods. I came across a blank recently that got my attention. A guy had cast the Sage TXL 7'10" zero weight, 3pc. factory rod and wanted me to build him a custom one. It turns out that the blank has a DBI of 2.5/65. I know the whole ERN=ELN is a bit simplified and makes the assumption that most people fish at 30' and everyone wants the rod to feel the same way, but still this is a very expensive blank specifically advertised as cutting edge in the ultralight flyfishing market. I'm not sure what is so cutting edge about a 2-weight moderate-fast fly blank, but whatever. Sage makes a "double-ought" (00) and "triple-ought" (000) blank in this series too, as well as 1,2,3,4, and 5-weights. I wonder what the ERNs of the others are. I will say that the rod is super light and fun to cast (for me, with a 2 or 3-weight line) and beautiful but I can't help but think that the proliferation of line weights is geared a lot toward people who feel they need to have "1 of each" to fish all situations. This blank is no lighter in power than dozens of other blanks I have built over the years that were rated 2-4 weights. It just has a slick Sage paint job and name on it, along with the arbitrary label of "0-weight."

Anyway, I wanted to share my review and results. I'm not bashing Sage or ultralight anglers or anyone. I'm just saying that if you want ultralight, you don't necessarily need to pay top dollar and also keep in mind that just because it says "0-weight" doesn't mean it's less powerful than what you've been fishing.

Later,

Steve

P.S. I just noticed that this same blank was tested by Ron Wells and entered into the CCS database at 1.08/62, compared to mine which has 2.5/65. So, yet another lesson to be learned here is that there is manufacturing variation even among the same blank model (as we all know from reviewing the CCS database) and this has more significant implications for ultralights than heavier line weights simply because very minor differences in blank wall thickness could make relatively big changes in an ultralight blank.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2010 09:09AM by Steve Kartalia.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CCS for Sage TXL 0710-3B
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 22, 2010 09:09AM

Steve,

The CCS doesn't make the assumption that everyone fishes at 30 feet. That's just the distance involved if you choose to use ERN=ELN as a starting point. You can refer to what Dr. Hanneman terms "WL" if you want an equation for other distances.

Otherwise I certainly do understand what you're saying. The thing is, there is only so much you can do with a rod blank. If you wish to keep selling anglers a new rod every few years, you have to come up with some angle, even if it's just a new paint job and different name, to convince the consumer to buy another rod. As I'm sure you'd agree, Sage isn't the only company that does this nor is it limited to the sale of fishing rods.

Date: September 22, 2010 09:21AM

Thanks for correcting me, Tom. I'm kind of an outlier in that I usually fish my rods with lines heavier than the ERN=ELN formula would indicate as a starting point. Not because I fish close but because I like the heavily-loaded feel of a vintage rod, coupled with the lightness of modern graphite. So, for example, I like the feel of a 60's era Fenwick fiberglass 6wt. (ERN ~ 3.6) but I like even more the feel of a modern graphite rod with ERN 3.6 fished with a 6wt. line. Same power and flex but a much lighter rod. Best of both worlds in my opinion.

I agree all companies do this, not just Sage. I have been a distance runner for 31 years and every year they come out with a "new" model of shoes. I always buy shoes that are a year or two removed from the current model because I'm not willing to pay top dollar for what amounts to a color change when I can buy the older models for half price.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 22, 2010 10:23AM

One thing I learned long ago - when you find something you really like, buy two of them.

A buddy of mine recently wore out a pair of Bite wading shoes. He loved them and went back for another pair. No longer available. On the other hand, my first pair of the same shoe is finally wearing out, but I have a new pair in reserve, bought a week after that first pair.

Date: September 22, 2010 10:30AM

I hear you. I've got a spare tip section for my favorite fly rod (St. Croix 4F864) stored away as accident insurance and 5 new pairs of my favorite running shoes stacked in a closet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster