I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Size 4000 spinning reel problems
Posted by: Joe Johnson (---.static.orml010.digis.net)
Date: September 20, 2010 01:36PM

Here's the situation. I've built a rod for a guy and he loves the handle and work i've done on it. (MHX sj842) However it doesn't cast "smooth" with the size 4000 symetre he's using. . I've tweeked it and rewrapped it and for some reason I'm not getting the performance or "smoothness" that I want/need for this guy.

I've set it up with the 27x method and i'm wondering if a size 30 butt guide would solve the problem instead of a 25? Anyone had this type of issue before? If so what was the solution?

He's throwing 8lb floro and uses it for a lot of different techniques. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Size 4000 spinning reel problems
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: September 20, 2010 02:12PM

Couple of ideas here. A 4000 series probably has a spool diameter that is too large for a #25 guide. The stripper guide size should be about half the dia. of the outer rim of the reel spool. Try a size 30 stripper guide.

If I were going to consistently use 8 lb floro I would be using a 750 to 1500 series reel. In my opinion , the reel is quite large for that rod using 8 lb test line. That may or may not be an issue.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 20, 2010 02:12PM

4000 may be overkill for that blank and line - before you blame the rod set up try a 2500.

Jay typing at the same time -

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2010 02:13PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: September 20, 2010 02:22PM

FOr my tournament fishing, I like using the 4000 series reels even for lighter line. You get more line on the spool and I have less issues with line springing off the spool. To me, I would say if you can not find a location for the 25 guide that works better, then you would have to go up to the 30. In the rods I have set up for the 4000 reel, I am using either mono or braid and I have not had to use anything bigger than a 25 guide for mono. I have not tried floro on the rod setup for mono.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (207.118.62.---)
Date: September 20, 2010 02:34PM

Two things come to mind,One is, I thought 27X was old school and why not use a tamer guide in front of the stripper guide. Do a search on both, also ask Tom he has commented on both

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 20, 2010 02:35PM

You should certainly try a size 30, but you also need to find out what he's throwing and make sure he's getting the rod loaded.

Date: September 20, 2010 02:44PM

Thanks guys. I did put the 2500 size on there and it worked fine, but that's not the reel he's using.

The size 30 sounds like a viable option.

tamer guide, hmmm i'll research that.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 20, 2010 03:11PM

Bob
You talking this set up: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Also floro is a stiff line. That is probably why it is springing off a smaller real. Suggest mono or even braid with a leader if going to a smaller real.

If you try the 30 check the next two guides for line path. The 27 X is the chock guide placement.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 20, 2010 03:20PM

We'll do. Thanks again.

Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 20, 2010 04:05PM

I use a size 3000 spinning reel with 8lb mono because it seems to me that I have way fewer problems with the line tangles than a 2500. I have several rods all with a 25MM first guide and both the 3000 & 2500 seem to work fine with this setup. One tip I may offer is ALWAYS, ALWAYS close the bail by hand and give the line a quick tug while raising the tip as you start to reel in the slack line. After I started doing this my tangles went to almost zero. Hope this may help someone.

One question I have is the distance between the reel face and the first guide?

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (207.118.62.---)
Date: September 20, 2010 05:43PM

Bill you are correct Spacing between the 2 is speculative. Some say up close Like Doug Hanning's (Bass Pro.) CastAway rod system or 4 inches in-front of the last guide. I just know what I have read or the video I have seen. I plan to experiment this winter

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 20, 2010 05:50PM

Here this should help : two articles on spinning guide set up [www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 20, 2010 07:01PM

Joe,
Out of curiosity, what is your exact guide setup and what is your guide spacing, starting from the reel?

I am wondering if you may simply have the first guide too close to your reel seat.

However, I will say that if I am planning on the use of a larger spool reel like a 4000 or similar I will always go with a size 30 first guide and or a "tall" size 25 guide.

I also will make my first guide at least 24 inches away from the reel seat on this type guide and reel setup.

Roger

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 20, 2010 07:09PM

I would say Roger has given you some good advice. Any lack of "smoothness" that you notice may be line slap against the rod blank. A higher guide may be better than a guide that is simply larger. And the higher it is, the closer it can be. Play around with that reel to butt guide spacing a bit.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (12.77.249.---)
Date: September 20, 2010 08:18PM

FWIW, just did a rod with a 3500 reel. I felt a high frame 30 was called for. Not all reels are the same though. Spool diameter was 2.18".

2.18(.5)(25.4) = 27.7 and since I was fishing PE2.5 with 15# mono on top I opted for a fuji byag 30. I felt it casted well.

Just measured the 4000 and it is 2.25".

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster