I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Selection and Spacing for Surf Casting Rod
Posted by: Barry Harlowe (208.72.79.---)
Date: September 18, 2010 04:00PM

I am planning to build a 12' casting surf rod for drum fishing this fall. I would apreciate any suggestions for Guides and Spacing for the build. How many and what kind is what I am havign a hard time with. Any suggestions ? I am planningon using a Lamiglass GSB150-2MH blank.

Thanks,

Barry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Selection and Spacing for Surf Casting Rod
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 18, 2010 04:26PM

A Google search will bring up a Lamiglass Chart on there blanks

here: [www.google.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2010 04:35PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (207.118.62.---)
Date: September 18, 2010 07:44PM

Barry what you also consider is the type of reel you are using and my I suggest using a tamer guide. Do a search on tamer guide. To determine the correct number of guides you will have to test cast and do a stress test. Lamiglas spacing is just a starting point

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 18, 2010 09:13PM

Spacing is going to depend on several factors, not the least of which is your handle length and reel used. If you can provide a bit more details, we can dial you a bit closer.

Posted by: Wes Weaver (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 19, 2010 08:32AM

Good blank choice for a light/medium heaver, If you are using the typical penn/daiwa/avet reel on this rod you will probably start with a 25 or 20 and end with 16's maybe 12's depending on shock leader knot. Tape the guides on your blank ...put the reelseat on masking tape arbors temporarily....go find yourself a field to tune your setup... and build this rod for Barry. hope you have a ball.

Date: September 19, 2010 01:32PM

Instead of masking tape to hold guides may I suggest surgical tubbing. This way you can adjust the spacing

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 20, 2010 09:23AM

You'll need to post more information for the guys here to help with spacing, but if I were building this rod, I'd use American Tackle's Virtus Lites for the guides. They are absolutely perfect for medium to heavy surf casting rods. If you have the money to be able to afford them, take a look at them - I've become a big fan of them on these kinds of surf rods.

Posted by: Clyde Hunt (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 20, 2010 01:06PM

I have two 1502 that I use Red Drum fishing. The first one I built using the Lamiglas recipe. The build was Ok, but the tip was a little light for my liking. The second rod I took 3" off the tip and worked with the guides a bit. I like the second one much better. Loads well with 6 oz., sweet spot at 8 oz., throws 10 oz. w/o a problem.
Reel - Abut 7500CT
Cut 3" off the tip.
Center line of reel seat = 29" from the butt.
Fuji NSG guides
BMNAT-12 tip
3- NSG-16
2-NSG-20
1- NSG-25

From tip*
8.5"
19.75"
30.75"
44.0"
60.5"
80" **

* These dimension where taken from my worksheet. The dimensions on the end product may vary a bit but I’m too lazy to go out and measure them right now. :)

** The 80" dimension puts the first guide down on the butt section. I have seen several wrapped so the lower guide wrap doubles as the ferrule wrap.

Date: September 20, 2010 01:39PM

Clyde

Any reason for the different ring materials and smaller tip top size

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 20, 2010 04:42PM

3" off the tip and Clydes spacing... will build a very happy 1502. my first guide on this blank is on the ferrule wrap unless someone asks different.... again tape the guides and try for yourself. longcast tournament guys do this all the time to settle on a "recipe" that suits them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2010 04:50PM by Wes Weaver.

Date: September 20, 2010 05:23PM

Wes Terminate long distance casting is completely differnt system

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Clyde Hunt (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 20, 2010 08:28PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Clyde
>
> Any reason for the different ring materials and
> smaller tip top size

No reason. I had a couple of BMNAT tops laying around from a prior project. Stuck one on the rod for testing and just left it there.

Date: September 20, 2010 08:36PM

hay

If it worked go for it LOL I just thought you had a - technical - reason ????

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 20, 2010 10:07PM

Bob..what I was saying is that the temporary setup will answer all questions firsthand...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2010 10:21PM by Wes Weaver.

Date: September 20, 2010 11:26PM

Sorry I miss understood my fault. I agree. With temporary attachments and trail casting. This is the only way to fine tune a rod

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2010 10:30AM

Barry,
As is the case for most rods, fewer guides is generally better than more guides.
PUt on only enough guides to get a good loading on the blank. Since this is a pretty heavy blank, with fairly minimal bending for casting, and even fishing, the total numbers of guides should be minimal.

Also, with the use of a rod of this length, don't be afraid to have the first guide or butt guide at a considerable distance from the reel.
i.e. you can go from 25-40 inchs spacing on your first guide - depending on the reel, blank etc. Don't be afraid to experiment a bit. Also, don't be afraid to go with 2-4 fewer guides that you might otherwise use on a rod. Tape up some temporary configurations, and do some test casting with the weight of your expected lures and or terminal tackle and the line that you are expecting to use. Obviously heavier and or leff flexible line tends to dictate large guide sizes. On the other hand, if you plan to use a braid or similar line that remains very flexible in the heavier lb test, you can gravitate toward smaller guide sizes.

Again, prototype, tape up, test, change, test, change, test until you get the configuration that best meets your particular needs.

All of the information both posted and given to you should be used by you as a guide only and only as a starting point. Your test results should dictate the final configuration.

Roger

Posted by: Whit Engle (---.prenova.com)
Date: September 22, 2010 04:19PM

I'd go with size 30-25-20-16-16-16, with the first guide 36-40 inches up from the top of the reel seat, and the rest spaced on a static test basis up the blank. The NSG's are fine but I'm happy with good old hardaloys or even aluminum oxide (still used widely by longcasters). And use a tip ring diameter of 12 or larger (preferably 16). Sic is best for tip, byt hardaloys are just fine. Large ring diameter all the way through helps with line feed (as your shocker knot rattles seaward), insert durability (the small inserts have trouble handling the friction, and when it happens your rid is done for that trip) and "Krakoffs". I'm 5'9" with a normal build, so for a working 8 'n bait rod I mount the reel seat 29" up from the butt, with the reel seat threads reversed pointing toward the tip (skywards), so your finger doesnt inadvertently torque the nut loose on a cast with lots of "body english". This is a serious outfit, that will serve you well. Whit

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster