I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

RESIN PRECIPITATE
Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: September 18, 2010 02:52PM

Hi, Folks....whereas this topic has come up many times, but I cannot seem to note a missing key aspect, I thought I'd go again. Many brands of resin, after a time, will show hardness at the bottom of the putup. I usually microwave, to re-liquify.

However: (reason for today's post) is it necessary, chemically, to re-incorporate ALL the solids that have presented themselves after storage periods, or: is it acceptable to just get it liquid enough to mix with the hardener.

I normally warm it to the degree all the solids have re-liquified. But, the downside to that is the temp the resin winds up to. I need to let it cool down a little so when I tip the "york" lid, it does not squirt all over me, and the workplace.

Thanks in advance for input. KD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2010 03:03PM by Ken Driedger.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: RESIN PRECIPITATE
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 18, 2010 03:10PM

Rather than microwave I immerse in hot water then shake it up - I don't know if shaking is necessary rather something I just do automatically. Fact is I often warm both parts of thread epoxy (resin and hardener) to get it to a lower viscosity (thinner) because I think this penetrates the thread better. Obvious "down sides" are that it will harden faster and you will likely need a second coat if you what a thick, glossy finish. If you apply at high speed this is not an issue because each guide should only take 10 seconds (or less)

Posted by: Fred Cory (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 18, 2010 11:08PM

Epoxy will crystalize over time or if it gets really cold. You can put it in the microwave or warm the bottle in warm water (my preference)

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 19, 2010 05:56AM

You can let it cool down. It won't re-crystalize for some time afterwards, perhaps weeks or months.

Date: September 19, 2010 06:10PM

Thanks, gents, but the question remained unanswered. If I were to use the resin which had one inch of solids on the bottom, and liquid above, will I still be chemicaally viable. The resin (Threadmaster regular) had 3/4" of what looked like white solids on the bottom, and liquid
above. At the Canadian pricing for this product, I was not ready to experiment and use the resin without warming, and getting rid of the suspected solids on the bottom.

Date: September 19, 2010 06:31PM

Yes. You could do that and be fine.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: September 20, 2010 07:43AM

Hello to All

Tom does that mean that you can use it down to the solid part, and then heat it to use the part that has become solid?

Thanks.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 20, 2010 07:55AM

I would make sure it is well mixed before using. Boil water, take off the burner place the bottles in for heck it should only take 10 mim. Don't put them in the water as it boils. You will melt the bottles. Been there.

Have no idea what you will get if not mixed ??

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 20, 2010 11:29AM

You can, but if you look carefully, you're apt to find that once the resin starts to crystalize, there will be more than just a lump at the bottom. You may see small white flakes throughout the mix.

For that reason, heat it until it all returns to normal and then store it in a cool place (not cold). It should take several months before any more crystalization begins anew.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: September 20, 2010 11:45AM

Hello All

I have 2 quart bottles I have not even opened that are hard as a rock on the bottoms.(been stored quite a while).

Thanks Tom.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: September 20, 2010 12:12PM

I've always warmed the product, to re-liquify, then waited a bit, to permit the product to regain some viscosity. I store the product in the kitchen in the cupboards above the fridge, so they catch come latent heat off the compressor, along with room temp.

Tom's bang-on RE: product remaining liquid..I recently bought some Great Planes 45 minute epoxy that was bottom-solid when I bought it, for those quick threadwrap repairs. I heated it and it's been liquid for some months now. Thanks to all. KD.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster