I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question for the Boat Guys - Mann Stretch Blank
Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 17, 2010 10:26AM

Let's say you're going to build a trolling rod that's dedicated to trolling Mann Stretch lures (these things can be murder on striped bass in the Northeast in the fall). You might occasionally use the rod to drag something else, like an umbrella rig, but in terms of performance, you want to optimize it for pulling Mann's Stretch lures, and if it suffers on the rare occasions that you'll use it for something else, so be it.

The main feature of Mann Stretch lures is the wiggle: the things come with a pretty long lip that makes them move in the water, and this movement very effectively mimics the movement of baitfish. This is why they catch so well in the fall, when there are lots of small baitfish like peanut bunker around.

To get the lure to work, you have to use a blank with some give to it - they won't work if you tie them to a broomstick. This is what leads to my question.

I've heard two fields of thought on a blank for this purpose: one is that you pick a soft blank with with medium or even slow action, basically the same kind of rod that you'd use to troll bunker spoons. Another line of thinking is that you use an extra-fast blank like the Seekers CLB or the Batson RCLB, that the very soft tip of these live bait rods is all you need to get that Stretch lure dancing.

What do you think? What do the boat rod sharpies here believe? And why?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question for the Boat Guys - Mann Stretch Blank
Posted by: Ed Kindervater (---.co.chesterfield.va.us)
Date: September 17, 2010 04:55PM

I have used live bait blanks for them and they have worked fine. I also have built a couple on Calstar Grafighters they work nice too and have lots of power in the butt too.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 17, 2010 04:59PM

My choice would also be a true live bait blank. CLB 702 being a favorite.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 17, 2010 05:53PM

CalStar (660's or 270's) for those "so be it" occasions - not the Grafiter blanks but E-glass. 660-s Plenty of action from the tip but also lots of power for dragging umbrellas in the spring. 270's lighter, more responsive to the lure wiggle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2010 05:56PM by Ken Preston.

Posted by: Dan Bryant (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 17, 2010 08:34PM

I fish Stretches on the Jersey shore for stripers every spring and fall. I use my bunker spoon rods, but I have converted from wire to braid for trolling. My rods are built on Lami BT1083M blanks. Man, do they wiggle! But I agree with the above, that live bait blanks should work fine also. You got it right that you don't want to use a broom stick, but beyond that you don't NEED as much flop as you do with bunker spooons, but it doesn't hurt either, so if you want a rod that will do double duty and work with spoons then go with a bunker spoon rod.

Date: September 20, 2010 08:46AM

Thanks for the input, guys. My thinking was that a live bait blank would be perfect for them - the blank doesn't need to flex as much as a bunker spoon blank does. Thanks for sharing the information - I appreciate it.

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: September 21, 2010 03:14PM

Chris....I troll a lot of wire around the Rockaway Jetty, pulling shad umbrellas and jerking parachutes mostly. The Mann's Stretch is very interesting.....do you mind if I ask what kind of line or trolling setup you are using?

Date: September 21, 2010 04:28PM

Joe, I'm probably the worst guy in the world to ask - I'm a surf guy who builds boat rods for fun (my brother has a boat), and because I like trying new stuff.

I'm using a Penn 225LD that I bought used (I don't know why they don't make these anymore; it's a beautiful reel). It will be spooled with braid - I'm gonna ask my tackle guy what test he recommends (probably 50 lb). This outfit might be a bit overkill - lots of guys use smaller reels for Stretch trolling - but I always (to a fault) try to prepare, gear-wise, for trophy fish.

I do know that these things are murder on fish in the fall - my brother caught three flounder (yes, summer flounder) on one Stretch in a 30-minute period last December.

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: September 22, 2010 09:08AM

Chris....thanks for the info. I ask because I am having great success with the umbrella (double and triple header stripers) but it is not a heckuva lot of fun to do by yourself., and my 50 year old shoulder doesn't like jerking a parachute as much as it used to. I am looking for an alternative. I may give the Stretch a try.

Thanks,
Joe

Date: September 22, 2010 09:40AM

This is just personal preference, Joe, but I hate umbrella rigs as much as I hate the New York Yankees. I know they work, but dragging all that junk through the water seems kinda unsportsmanlike to me.

You should give Stretches a shot. They're not that expensive (around $11 a pop for the Stretch 25), they're easy to use (ready to be rigged right out of the box), and, when the conditions are right, they'll really slay fish. I much prefer jigging metal for stripers - you get to actively fish that way - but when you can't find concentrated fish, trolling these things can help you catch when other methods won't.

The number behind the lure, by the way (like Stretch 25 or Stretch 30+) is the depth at which the lure is supposed to swim. It's not always 100% exact, but it does help if you know the depth of the areas that you plan to fish. One method that I just read about, but kinda want to try, is to troll Stretch 25s in depths 30 feet or less, and then go to bunker spoons at depths greater than 30 feet. This kind of madcap experimentation is fun, and tweaking your gear to get best results is a big part of the fun, for me anyway.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster