I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: NFC Rod Builds
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: September 19, 2010 12:23PM

Bill -

I don't agree with either of those "tips". 1) Closed cars sitting in the sun do get hot, but not hot enough to soften epoxy resins. IF that were the case, you sure would have a pile of parts on the floorboards after a summer day in Lake Havasu, Arizona and; 2) There isn't any reason to stay away from high modulus blanks and the only legitimate factor that I see entering the decision making process is price.

Jim -

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 19, 2010 01:03PM

Ypur right That is why I added the Hmmmm

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 19, 2010 06:09PM

Bill & Jim
Those "tips" are One builder's view / opinion akin to building on the spine.... I put that link up there for anyone who wanted to see the steps involved in making a glass / graphite blank. The drill down at the bottom of the page "wanna learn more..." is a condensed summary of materials and is also pretty good - although a little "dated". As you read - please remember this was written by an foreigner - English not "first language".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2010 08:14PM by Ken Preston.

Posted by: Peter Dixon (209.34.157.---)
Date: September 21, 2010 09:25PM

After seeing the discussions on this thread, I felt that I better ask Susan Loomis and Gary Loomis in person for their explanations for building on the spline...

-How Susan was taught (based on 35 years of rod building experience)

"If a blank were at all crooked you would want to place the guides on the spline to utilize the strength of the blank. Also, if there were more graphite wraps on one side than the other, you would use the spline to your advantage to balance out the weight."

Gary elaborated by saying "A blank with a small sweep would have the benefit of the guides straightening out the blank, based on the side that needed the guide weight to straighten it"

Susan's General Rule with building on the spline:

Fly and Spinning - on the belly

Casting - on the back bone

Another example she provided was when she recently built up a salt water blank for Marlin fishing. She mentioned that gigantic fish tend to cause the blank to twist, making sure to utilize a 90 degree angle to best fight the fish, you would want to build on the spline to reduce the torque and twisting that could cause the angle to change in a less than ideal way.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 22, 2010 07:38AM

Peter,

Excuse me, but what Susan and Gary are describing isn't the spine. They seem to be talking about the straightest axis which is along the natural curvature of the blank (note the words belly, which is almost never on the spine).

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 22, 2010 03:08PM

Jon emailed explained that Suzi was talking about what she calls the "visual spine." This is what we call the straightest axis or the natural curve of the rod blank. This is exactly what I suspected when I saw the reference to "belly." It's not what custom builders refer to when talking about the "spine." The spine is an effect created by the various manufacturing anomalies that occur when making a shaft.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: September 22, 2010 08:03PM

Peter,
There are half a dozen manufacturing variables that can contribute to where what we call the spine can be. You point out one of them which is how the layers of prepreg that are wrapped on the mandrel. In fact, any curve in the blank can also contribute to what we call spine as Tom's post suggests. However, the biggest factor is the fact that the cross section of blanks do not end up perfectly circular but are very slightly eliptical. Stiffness increases as the third power of diameter. If the diameter isdoubled, believe it or not, the result will be a nine times increase in stiffness. This means that a very small increase in the diameter of a blank in one plane will result in a significant increase in the stiffness in that plane as opposed to other planes.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster