I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Kudos & Question-how to find a rod I like.....
Posted by: Jim Williams (---.br1.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 16, 2010 11:04AM

What a wonderful website. So much valuable information provided by Tom, Dr. H....and members. Example - thread requesting building on a blank for sinko's or something. What great info provided. No guessing, or running you fingers through the yellow pages..but actual advise from people who already have used and have experience with the question asked....and precise blanks suggested to use! What a wonderful way to get great information! These blanks are almost guranteed to work for the person who asked the question....because it is truthful informatiin based on experience....with no hidden agenda. Just absolutely marvelous. Can't get any better than this. Well.....only one thing I would like to see....like on FAOL...when I place my cursor on the "subject title" of athread it pops up a brief paragraph which gives one a clue as to what the thread is about. I find this invaluable as the title may suggest something, but the text may be icw something I am really not interested in....and I can just keep on moving my cursor. This board doesn't have that feature. So one has to OPEN a thread to commence reading...perhaps only to find out it is of no interest....and close it and go back.......

Anywahoooo.....sorry about length of msg and my question, Perhaps I should be able to figure this out myself. But the great info one can get here......I can't help but ask for opinions.

I have been seeking the holy grail of fly rods. I have not been successful. I have finally found a rod that I really like. Purchased a used Ted Williams 8' fiberglass 7wt which came with a reel and 7wt line. Grip way too small...but loved the way it casts. Wow...I have finally found what my body and mind likes.

Low and behold I discover another one! I like it even more! But I don't know how....or I don't really understand.....I guess I don't understand everything I know.......oh phooey

The rod I later found I like.....has nothing on it but the name Lamiglass. 'Tis a 9' custom rod and when I purchased it, the for sale post said it was a 3/4 wt rod. No action explained. That's all I know.

Now I put a 4wt line on it and not too thrilled. I put a 5wt WF-F line on it and WALLA! I love it!

Now I have read the CCS a couple of times but it has been awhile. Hope I don't tick you all off....but I am not sure in my mind....how to take this rod...that I have now "overlined"......and CCS it.....and relate the results to what I like in a rod. Cause I overlined it.......I dunno.

Would I CCS it and just get results....and this result would be the action I like.........or....would I have to figure in that I like said blank, with said ccs numbers.....with a 5wt line? How do I relate this back to just finding the CCS numbers of a blank....or rod....and say...this is the blank I like,
Well....sorta like...if I want to build a 4wt rod.....how do I turn around and say THIS is the numbers I want that will turn out a rod that I like to cast with?

Sorry.....really apologize for length of msg....and actually the question itself, as . I suppose I should already know and understand this. I would sure apprciate some comments and opinions on this though.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kudos & Question-how to find a rod I like.....
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 16, 2010 11:53AM

If you want to a similar rod to what you have and like now, then you need to match as many numbers as possible. The AA and ERN for sure, but also the CCF (frequency). Your current rod is glass and considerably heavier and slower to react and recover than most modern day graphite rods. Therefore, the CCF figure is going to be very important in terms of finding something that feels and acts similarly.

Date: September 20, 2010 02:51PM

Thank you Tom. Disappointed in only getting one comment. Thought more people were willing to share knowledge about CCS sys.

uh.....I am of a mind that the CCS system is NOT going to help me find a rod I like. Because.....I would get the specs on a 3/4 wt rod that I am overlining. .Sooooo.....how would one ake THAT data.....and apply it to a blank selection......and say build a 6wt.....that would have the same casting characteristics as the 3/4 wt rod I ovelined. It is MY casting style that likes said rod. And I am not so sure the CCS will help me with that..

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 22, 2010 05:09PM

It will. The CCS doesn't care if you overline it or not. You can get another blank with the same AA, ERN and CCF and overline that one and it will work the same. Or, choose a blank with the same AA and CCF but a lower ERN and you'll have the same thing without overlining it.

Date: September 29, 2010 03:14PM

Thank you Tom. THAT is the answer I was looking for.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster