I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Guide Suggestions
Posted by: Eric Brown (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: September 15, 2010 07:56PM

Looking for some guide size/ style suggestions on a 7wt. 9' fly rod. This will be used for Largemouth and occasional inshore saltwater outing. The customer is pretty set on using snakes guides. I know some are using the Minima guides with great results. I would love to go that way on this build but the owner does not want it to "look like a spinning rod." Let's say you get into the backing and the backing is braid. Would a wire fly guide survive?

Eric

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2010 07:56PM by Eric Brown.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Guide Suggestions
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: September 15, 2010 08:00PM

I've had no problems with snake of singlefoot wire guides and braid backing. Line doesn't hurt guides, it's the crud it picks up and uses as an abrasive that damages the guides.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 15, 2010 08:11PM

Yes they will survive, for some amount of time. It all depends on how much use the rod sees. I've seen snake guides last for years and I've seen them done in within a season or two.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: September 15, 2010 09:40PM

sell him on using the single foot guides. i would highly recommend the minima guides, but even using single foot wires adds less to the rod than double foots. you are the builder and he is coming to you for your expertise. i know some fishermen think they know about rods, when they don't. i have found it best to explain why i use a certain guide or style of build. once they understand it makes a more efficient rod they usually agree and go with my recommendation.

Posted by: Eric Brown (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: September 15, 2010 11:08PM

Thanks guys, this info helps tremedously. I've been using braid for years. I have just never used it as backing on fly reels. The kicker here is that this will be used in the salt and that backing will see plenty of light. I have done research on guide sizes but does anyone have suggestions for single foot mm sizes for a 7wt. He will be using around a 15lb flurocarbon leader w/ loop connection.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: September 16, 2010 10:40AM

you should easily be able to use size 5 in the minima guides with a 7wt. it all depends on your knot system, but i regularly use them on my 8wts. the minima 5 has an opening similar to a 6

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.250.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: September 16, 2010 04:52PM

Fly anglers have been using braid backing (dacron & micron) with success for decades. I would be interested to see the total weight savings of a minima guide set versus a snake guide set. I wonder if a blindfolded caster could feel the difference, even after a day's casting.

Single foot and minima guides do not increase casting distance with a fly rod - no advantage here. This past May I saw a bonefish run rip two single-foot guides off the nine 9wt. of my fishing partner before his leader parted. We do frequently get twists and loops in our fly lines, and Murphy's Law predicts when this will happen. The geometry of a snake guide permits a larger opening than a single-foot of the same diameter. The larger the guide opening the better the chance that a nail knot or a twist or a small loop in your line will clear your rod.

It's all a trade off - the cachet and weight savings of minimas versus the strength and fish-fighting advantages of snakes.
BTW: I recently saw an 8wt. fly rod with 5mm single foots and an oversized tip-top?!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 16, 2010 05:20PM

For me, the weight difference is enough to easily notice the increased response and quicker recovery when using Minimas. With a Forhan locking wrap, you couldn't possibly tear one off the rod (you might break the rod or the leader trying to do so, however).

As always there is a point of diminishing returns. It all depends on how heavy a set of snake guides you're starting with.

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: September 17, 2010 05:36PM

It's not just the weight of a set of double foot snake guides vs. the weight of a set of Minimas. You have to account for that additional weight of thread and thread finish as well. Though it may not be very much actual weight, where the weight is at is what accounts for the difference.

I've had two rods given to me for repair where the butt-end foot of a snake guide was ripped out from under the wraps (before leader breakage) due to this very "hang up" situation. These guides might have still remained on the blank since the top foot remained secured, but they still had to be replaced anyway.

If the single foot guides of today were available back when flyrods were first used, would you have ever even heard of snake guides? I think they'd be the guides "laughed right off of the rod", if introduced in later years. The only benefit I can see is that snakes accumulate less icing when fishing in cold weather, but even this is heavily debated.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 18, 2010 12:00PM

I use single foot guides on all my fly rods (except traditional bamboo) and have never had one fail in any way

. Oh, and I fish with these for: Tarpon, Dorado, Trevaly, Bonefish and Steelhead, pretty good testing!

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.250.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: September 19, 2010 03:56PM

I still doubt the "one leg is better than two" theory, even if shedding one leg reduces weight a bit.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 19, 2010 04:11PM

Phil

Do a search on them And try a set on your next rod and see how the rod performs much better then with two legs.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster