I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question for Dr. Hanneman
Posted by: Chad Huderle (173.17.130.---)
Date: September 15, 2010 06:29PM

I believe I've read everything there is to read, many times, concerning the Common Cents System. I feel I've got a good understanding of what it measures and use it on the rods I build. When I create the "information" label for each rod that includes model, line wt, lure wt, etc, I also include AA and ERN. Up to this point, I've built for myself, family and friends. I've decided to branch out and pursue paying customers. AA and ERN aren't going to mean much to them as much as traditional subjective terms such as fast or ultra light.

In the first article you authored, you characterized an AA of 59 and below to slow, 59-63 as moderate, 63-66 as mod/fast and over 66 as fast. Has something similar been been done with the ERN ? In other words, an ERN of 1-4 may be characterized as ultra light, 5-8 may be characterized as light, etc?

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question for Dr. Hanneman
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 15, 2010 07:17PM

No, you misunderstood that portion. The AA measurements aren't intended to be translated back into subjective terms. Nor the ERN measurements. Otherwise they would serve no purpose. That portion was added only to advise the general direction the measurements move. The higher the number, the faster the action, the lower the number, the slower the action.

Just as you would never attempt to define a Fahrenheit measurement of "60 degrees" as hot, cold or warm, or a length of "5-feet" as long, medium or short, you don't want to try and pigeon hole the AA or ERN numbers into subjective terms. The numbers are simply relative in nature and must be used in comparison to one another. Only when you're able to dispense with subjectivity do you have a worthwhile system of measurement.

Remember, the term "one foot" or "one pound" didn't make sense to any of us when we were very young. We had to eventually get a feel for what a foot or pound represented before we could envision what either represented in and of itself.

If you want to put them on the fast track for getting a good feel of what the numbers represent, take a rod they have now and are very familiar with and measure the AA or ERN for them. Future readings that are higher than what they have now represent a faster action or greater power and lower numbers than what they have now represent a slower action or less power.

Posted by: Bill Hanneman (---.an4.den10.da.uu.net)
Date: September 15, 2010 10:24PM

Chad Huderle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
In the first article you authored, you characterized an AA of 59 and below to slow, 59-63 as moderate, 63-66 as mod/fast and over 66 as fast. Has something similar been been done with the ERN ? In other words, an ERN of 1-4 may be characterized as ultra light, 5-8 may be characterized as light, etc?
-------------------------------------------------------
A one word answer to your question is, No.

I believe Tom explained why.
You should remember the first article dealt with fly rods. While AA is applicable to all rods. A subjective description of ERN would make no sense. For instance, what kind of an ERN would correspond to an ultralight muskie rod or tuna rod, relative to an ultralight spinning rod?

As Tom said, if the numbers are not objective, they are not worthwhile.

If you are going to charge your client an appropriate price for your custom rod, you owe him an explanation of what the numbers mean. Educate him, don't stoop to using "traditional" meaningless subjective terms".

Posted by: Chad Huderle (173.17.130.---)
Date: September 15, 2010 10:58PM

Thanks to both of you for addressing my question so quickly.

"A subjective description of ERN would make no sense. For instance, what kind of an ERN would correspond to an ultralight muskie rod or tuna rod, relative to an ultralight spinning rod? "

Dr. Hanneman, although I didn't state it in my original question, your statement above makes the exact point I was concerned with when dealing with potential customers. Perhaps if a potential customer is interested I can offer to measure one of their other fishing rods to establish a baseline in their mind.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 16, 2010 09:18AM

Dr. Hanneman, although I didn't state it in my original question, your statement above makes the exact point I was concerned with when dealing with potential customers. Perhaps if a potential customer is interested I can offer to measure one of their other fishing rods to establish a baseline in their mind.

Chad -
This is exactly what Tom K suggested (above post)

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 16, 2010 09:26AM

That's what all of us do currently with the other systems of relative measurement. We just don't think about it.

If a Martian (if such people exist) were to land here and ask how far to the nearest gas station and you said "About 3 miles," that would make absolutely no sense to him. Before it would be of any use to him, he would have to gain some general idea of the general distance a mile represented. This is what we all did as children - nobody is born with an inherent knowledge of what distance a mile represents.

So the fisherman needs a starting point from which to compare against. Measuring one of his current rods that he is very familiar with gives him that.

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.olypen.com)
Date: September 16, 2010 12:24PM

Hi Chad,
I would suggest taking CCS measurements on a sample of say 6 - 10 rods of a certain application that you are building for, preferably ones that your customers may be already familiar with. That way you can instantly provide them with a frame of reference for interpreting CCS data pertaining to that specific application. That way the customer can evaluate a complete range when selecting a rod.
I understand your concern regarding subjective terms. It’s hard to use a system of measurement as a sales tool when the customer is desperately searching for absolutes as a means of making the decision to buy, it provides confidence in their purchase decision. I think as the CCS gains acceptance among consumers it will also gain value as a tool for educating your customers. Our job as rod builders, manufacturers, etc.. is to embrace the system and provide information and explanation.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster