I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Syncork Question
Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.chcgilgm.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: September 09, 2010 06:26PM

From my understanding Rod Bond may not be the best choice to glue up Syncork rings. I have been told that the best way is to glue them with 5 min epoxy to the blank and then shape them which is not an option in my case. If anyone has used this stuff, what have you done.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Syncork Question
Posted by: Chuck Payne (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 09, 2010 11:04PM

curious myself I have been considering using them for some time...

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: September 10, 2010 01:02AM

If I were you I would give Trondak a call. What was the reasoning not to use Rod Bond. The darn stuff holds air planes (Jets) together.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 10, 2010 01:08AM

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2011 05:07PM by roger wilson.

Date: September 10, 2010 01:20AM

I got a heads up from Billy that Syncork when glued up into a stick can break apart at the bond. I contacted the place about this issue and this is the response I got...
Hello,

Scuffing the sides will help a little bit but if the rings are glued onto a blank, we haven’t seen this issue. I will say that trying to just glue the rings together to make a cork stick without having a blank involved, the Syncork doesn’t seem to hold together as well as cork does. We use 5 minute epoxy to glue Syncork

Bob, that was my thought too.

Date: September 10, 2010 01:37AM

I have always lightly scuffed my blanks where any grip goes. It just makes common sense , I also wash my blanks before building. I can not see a break away situation. I have taken RB and glued 2 pieces of smooth glass together, they sure wont break apart,

Good Wraps Bob

Date: September 10, 2010 01:49AM

Bob, I am a firm beleiver of RB myself. I also scuff the blank too. It was my idea to maybe scuff the Syncork sides for bonding purpose.

Date: September 10, 2010 01:55AM

Jim Even when I do cork, I take a 3 sided file and score the inside. Maybe over kill, but I feel safe

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 10, 2010 08:01AM

I couldn't get them to stay glud togther. I glued them up wth both 5 minute & Rod Bond and both times I was able to pull the rings apart after I was done sanding. I don't know if it was the ridges onthe Syncork which prevnted it from being glued up properly, or the coating on th face of the rings. I think it's the coating. ROd Bond will NOT glue everything together, next time you mix up a batch take some of the excess and wipe it on a plastic bag or on a piece of waxed paper. When it dries you can peel it right off.

Jim based on their response - the reason they hold together I bet is becasue they are glued directly to the blank,a dn they are held togehter from the INSIDE glue where each ring is bonded to the blank. My grip was fine on the mandrel, but when I popped it off that is when I noticed the rings could come apart. IT wasn't like they just seperated, I had to give a little pull, but I was able to get them all apart. I suspect the coating on the face of the ring is similar to the paper bag or waxed paper which prevents Rod Bond or any glue from gluing te rings togehter.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 10, 2010 08:06AM

here is another cork that may interest you : [www.google.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 10, 2010 02:03PM

Billy Just a thought or 2, Did you clean your rings with alcohol or Acetone before gluing, There could have been a foreign substance that impeded the bond. Next did you use the slow cure RB and last were the rings under any kind of compression on the Mandel? This what I do not understand, in theory these types of bonding agents are the same. So why is a 5 minute better than a 10 minute or slow cure like RB. Remember I said in THEORY? Billy what did you use on the mandrel so you could remove the Syncork?

Good Wraps Bob

Date: September 10, 2010 06:50PM

Syncork doesn'twork when glued ona mandrel, plain and simple. I just got an e-mail form somoene else whoknows mor about types of matrial than I do scientifically. AllI know is epoxies donot stickto Syncork regardless f what you do.YOu can clean plastic bags all you want. ROdBOnd and5 minute epoxy isn't sticking to it.

Date: September 10, 2010 07:27PM

Sound correct to me. How about contact cement for a temporary bond?

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 10, 2010 10:45PM

This stuff might work as it is advertised as "plastic to plastic" . If I had some symcork I'd try it & let everyone know....... or maybe I'll go buy a couple bottles of wine and call it a required experiment LOL

3Mâ„¢ Scotch-Gripâ„¢ Plastic Adhesive 1099

Date: September 10, 2010 11:24PM

Hey Ken soak the Syncork in the wine till it is comply saturated, then remove the excess by @#$%& it off. If the wine doesn't help it stick by the time all the excess is sucked away who will careLOL

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 10, 2010 11:57PM

'Zactly! I will consider that I will have sacrificed myself for the good of the community. A noble cause. Bolstering the local economy and saving a few pieces of natural cork for rod builders to use for the greater good of mankind.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.mycingular.net)
Date: September 11, 2010 10:31AM

Roger please explain your great results you had with Syncork since you said it works perfectly fine. Other people who may have actually tried it have had completely opposite results.

Date: September 11, 2010 11:33AM

Lance I think if you glue up the rings to the blank they will probably hold up. BUt I know from using it on a mandrel and seeing how easily they popped apart I would never trust this material to hold up to fishing. I know the company puts them on their factory rods, and I guess they don't have any issues that I've read about, but I also don't look. TH direct e-mail I recieves makes me skeptical for any grips glued up with regular rod building epocy because the material these rings are made of doesnt' allow them to adhere so I wouldn't trust building a rod with these rings.

Date: September 11, 2010 12:04PM

I can not find a manufacture? I see where it is used in some wine tops but the jury is out on how well it works keeping air our. Now the question is what happens to it when you use the screw thing to remove the plug. I am not a wine conisure. This a question a manufacture should be-able to answer. if it is a synthetic there has to be a method used to attach it to other products

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 11, 2010 01:18PM

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2011 05:07PM by roger wilson.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster