I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

"Just use a lot of colors"
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 09, 2010 05:05PM

About a year ago I put a post up here for the ugliest color combo's, for a guy who wanted a rod and didn't care what I did. Same guy ordered another rod, and whenI said well do you know what you want? He didn't say this blank, those guides, this grips - he just blurted out "YES...I want every color you have on the rod". I was like, uhm.., but he cut off my brain cause obviously he put a lot of thought into this, "I dont' care what the colors are, pink, orange, blue, thick circles or thin circles (he meant trim bands), black green red - use them all however you want. I woant it to be really different".

Needless to say I didn't tll him I have 300 shades of thread, lol. Should be a fun rod to build, albeit a pain to contiuously switch colors. The good thing is that he had to get Titanium guides so the they dont' rust and make a mess out of the lighter colors after he doesnt' wash the rod after 3 trips.

Tom, that pic you sent me the other day I could use something like that now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Just use a lot of colors"
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 09, 2010 05:19PM

I saw a "custom rod" once several years ago that looked like a circus tent designed by a San Francisco hippie during a bad trip. It was a white rod with more colors on it than I had ever seen - all wrapped in uneven length bands and the wraps were gapped, bunched, crossed over - truly a sight you would not want to behold.

Posted by: Peter G. Douma (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 09, 2010 05:41PM

Billy,
what type of decorative wrap did you do? I cant think of any with like every color in it

Peter Douma
Poseidon Custom Rods
N.E.R.B.s

Date: September 09, 2010 05:49PM

H doesnt' wanta Dec Wrap Just a LOT OF COLORS,lol. Will probably do someething "west coast" style with bands of thread like an argyle pair of socks. SHould be fun.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (12.77.249.---)
Date: September 09, 2010 06:31PM

Billy, if you are fishing for ideas and suggestions I can throw a name out there. He does what I call old school thread art. Certainly west coast flavor. Lots of inlays. Lots of subtle fades. Uses colors most wouldn't normally use together. Chances are you know his work or name but on the chance you don't.....

You might care to look at some of Jim Trelikes's stuff for ideas and inspiration. And thank you for the compliment below on the post about the tld30 with braid. I'm really looking forward to this secret tog rod BTW.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: September 09, 2010 08:21PM

Sounds like the one that I did for a guy that wanted them to stand out from everyone else. I did a butt wrap up the entire length of the rod. Most gawdy thing I have ever seen and the guy loved it!!

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: September 09, 2010 09:40PM

build him an all white rod and tell him it is the expression of all colors combined into one.

and the build him an all black rod so he can go bass fishing.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Les Stewart (---.rhhe1.2wcm.comporium.net)
Date: September 09, 2010 10:07PM

One good thing about a real ugly rod, its less likely to get stolen!

A butt wrap the whole length of the rod sounds like it would make a very heavy rod.

Alex, I've built a bunch of all black bass rods. The guys don't care about pretty they just want function with out worrying about messing up a pretty rod.

Posted by: Peter G. Douma (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 09, 2010 10:25PM

Billy Vivona Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> H doesnt' wanta Dec Wrap Just a LOT OF
> COLORS,lol. Will probably do someething "west
> coast" style with bands of thread like an argyle
> pair of socks. SHould be fun.

Ifind it odd, that he doesn't want one. You wrote the book on decs, LITTERALLY

Peter Douma
Poseidon Custom Rods
N.E.R.B.s

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: September 09, 2010 10:33PM

Les Stewart Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Alex, I've built a bunch of all black bass rods.
> The guys don't care about pretty they just want
> function with out worrying about messing up a
> pretty rod.

That's 95% of what I build. Occasionally a little color on the handle to match a boat or a jersey.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 10, 2010 07:53AM

A butt wrap the whole length of the rod sounds like it would make a very heavy rod.

Might as well put a hook at the end and make it a Gaft ( fish hook )

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2010 07:56AM by bill boettcher.

Date: September 10, 2010 08:04AM

The rod s goign to be about 15oz when completed anyway. I'm not dong a full length Dec WRap unless someone wants to pay me $175 per 12". Weight is not a concern at all, the entire set up will be 32+oz when reel, line, and rod is complete,an extra couple of ounces on a rod that will be used for bottom fishing with 6-14oz isn't going to be noticed. not one bit. But the bright oclors, they will be noticed, lol

Posted by: dave schaub (129.230.244.---)
Date: September 10, 2010 11:57AM

Billy, this reminds me of the rod I did a few years ago that we called the Rod So Bright You Have to Have Sunglasses to USE.
It started as a joke for a friend and ended up as one that I did at least 7 or 8 copies. I only had like 6 colors on it and did a
fade but the colors were all extremely bright NEONS. That was great. Yours should be even better. Posts required after you're
done!!!!

Date: September 10, 2010 06:52PM

Dave, I rmember that post and commntiing on it. THat was a nice rod, that's why you got mor ordrs for it.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 13, 2010 09:24AM

Billy;
You should be really careful as to NOT screw up the “resonant frequency” with all those colors.

The different pigment consistencies of different colors could have enough of a negative weight content so as to impede the rod’s frequency if said colors are switched back and forth too frequently.

Date: September 13, 2010 09:56AM

Steve, can you please rwrit that so I can undrstand what you are sayign without a Masters in Physics? Fishing rods are not space shuttles. FWIW, I dont' discount all that stuff, it's great to know all that stuff and be able to convrse on that level > but a guy asked a simple questions, hundreds of people read the post, and I just wondr how many are turned off and scared away by reading that stuff?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster