I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Spacing for RX7 SUR1506F
Posted by: Isaiah Bumagat (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 09, 2010 12:23AM

I was wondering if anyone had built on this blank before. I looked up the rod spacing section on Batson, but that section has had no updates. Im looking to wrap this for a buddy soon, but I cant imagine where to start without without some hint on the guide spacing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Spacing for RX7 SUR1506F
Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: September 09, 2010 12:44AM

Batson's have a toll free number call Kerry. Do some reading and on guide specs. No two rods of the same series and model have the same spacing. I recommend doing a general spacing then do a stress test

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 09, 2010 07:32AM

At some point you'll be doing yourself a huge favor to learn how to arrive at your own guide spacing. There are at least 2 articles in the online library here that will teach you how to do it, so you'll never again have to rely on spacing charts.

In the meantime, I'm sure if you contact the folks at Batson directly, they'll be able to help you out.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (96.47.201.---)
Date: September 09, 2010 01:49PM

Isaiah,
If you can estimate the length from the reel to the tip and what weight line you will be using I can give you some numbers to start with.

Eugene Moore

Date: September 09, 2010 03:32PM

Eugene what type of numbers are you using. He might be better off going to Batson's web site and get the spacing. We don't even know the type of guides he is using or the number

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 09, 2010 03:50PM

Yes, I have built conventional and spinning rods on that blank. It is a "mini-beast" (small Hatteras Heaver). The guide spacing will be different for conventional and spinning. What are you building?

Date: September 09, 2010 10:06PM

Ken,

Can you post on conventional setup, I can use that as a base to work off of. I though about calling Batson, but figured if I posted it would leave a reference for someone else to use. This will be an Ulua "giant trevally" pole for fishing in Hawaii.

Date: September 10, 2010 12:58AM

Issiah Bill Batson is from the Big Island. If it swam near the Island he fished for it.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 10, 2010 07:47AM

Do a Google Search on Ulua pole for fishing in Hawaii. You should come up with a lot of info on how they are set up

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 10, 2010 01:49PM

Isaiah,
Sorry this took so long to get back to you.

This is my "formula" for a 1506 Rainshadow surf rod mated with an Avet MXL two speed reel
I'm telling you this in case you want to check the height of your reel against the Avet. The center spool of the Avet sits
at about 1.5 inches off the face of reel seat. You may have to slightly adjust the placement of the first guide.

Measured up from the butt

center of the reel seat at 29 inches
size 20 AmTak NIRVL at 61 inches
size 16 AmTak NIRVL at 74 inches
size 12 AmTak NIRVL at 88 inches
size 10 AmTak NIRVL at 102 inches
size 10 AmTak NIRVL at 110 inches
size 10 AmTak NIRVL at 119 inches
size 8 AmTak NIRVL at 127 inches

I realize this may not seem like a sufficient number of guides - but this is a pretty substantial blank

Since you want to build an ULUA rod you might want to also check with Batson to see if they have a different formula.

Date: September 11, 2010 03:34AM

Ken,

Much appreciated, again rodbuilding.org produces.

Bob, I didnt know Bill Batson is from the Big Island, I was born and raised there, I ll have to give him a ring one of these days.

Date: September 11, 2010 03:45AM

Isaiah When Bill was younger He and His family lived there, Bill talks about diving, selling bait and fishing. He built his first rods there

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster