I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shrink tube
Posted by: John Kitch (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 08, 2010 12:01PM

I'm ready to use some flocked shrink tube to restore a beat up cork handle. Should I cut the tube to length first or let it a bit long and trim after shrinking? This is my first time with this product so any advice would be appreciated.
John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shrink tube
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 08, 2010 12:17PM

I like to leave it a little longer than the handle because it's difficult to cut even and it does shorten (minimally). After the shrink tube is in place I spin the rod in a rod lathe and use nylon wrapping thread to mark the tube (even it up) then remove the excess.

Posted by: Peter G. Douma (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 08, 2010 08:51PM

I agree you dont really know how it will shrink until you heat it. Plus it isnt too hard to cut when on the handle

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: September 09, 2010 12:42AM

I use it over lower grade cork all the time on some of the builds I do. Leave yourself some room for shrinkage and you should be fine. I usually put it on before I glue on the grips, but eing that you are going to cover exsisting grips be carefull on the length.

Tight lines,

JH

Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: September 09, 2010 03:57AM

i would put a little epoxy at each end. I did exactly what you are wanting to do on one of my old factory rods about a year ago, and the shring tube tends to move around a little bit. Im going to cut it off and redo it with a dab of epoxy at each end an maybe in the middle.

Date: September 09, 2010 09:18AM

Phil -
Look around for smaller ID shrink tubing. The cross wrap type is 2:1 shrink and about 3/4 of an inch in diameter (smallest ID) but there are others including some that are 3:1 shrink that are pre-glued. You should be able to avoid putting any glue under shrink wrap. Or maybe if enough people ask for the smaller diameter one of the manufacturers/distributors will make 1/2 flocked cross wrap available. It is, after all, a demand market.

Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: September 09, 2010 09:32AM

I have used tons of the 3:1 with the hot melt glue in wiring applications and it is great. I wasnt aware that it was available with the flocked pattern. Where did you find it at? The grip i installed it on had an OD just over 1" so i dont need anything smaller, just need a way to tack it down. . I still have several feet of the stuff i used last time so i will probably just smear a little rod bond on the cork at each end then shrink it down, but for next time the stuff with glue in it would be perfect.

Date: September 09, 2010 09:50AM

Flocked (cross pattern) is available from American Tackle /Mudhole down to .787 ID as 2:1 shrink, non-glued inside. That could be just enough difference for you. I haven't found any flocked in a smaller ID anywhere. Smearing Rod Bond on the grip will surely work if you want to use up what you have on hand. As earlier - I've been asking for the flocked shrink down in smaller diameters because I put a short length of shrink tube on the tip section of two piece surf rods to make it easier for people to separate the two sections (and keep their fingers off the guides). However as a single customer I don't carry much weight.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2010 09:51AM by Ken Preston.

Posted by: John Pope (205.171.62.---)
Date: September 09, 2010 11:55AM

Ken Preston Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Flocked (cross pattern) is available from American
> Tackle /Mudhole down to .787 ID as 2:1 shrink,
> non-glued inside. That could be just enough
> difference for you. I haven't found any flocked
> in a smaller ID anywhere. Smearing Rod Bond on
> the grip will surely work if you want to use up
> what you have on hand. As earlier - I've been
> asking for the flocked shrink down in smaller
> diameters because I put a short length of shrink
> tube on the tip section of two piece surf rods to
> make it easier for people to separate the two
> sections (and keep their fingers off the guides).
> However as a single customer I don't carry much
> weight.

You might take a look at harbor freight if you have one near you. I found some cross flocked heat shrink in 1/2" and a pretty long roll on sale for $2

Date: September 09, 2010 12:44PM

Thanks John .... I'll definitely go look !

Date: September 10, 2010 02:05PM

Went to the local Harbor Freight - no joy in Mudville.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster