I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Simano Thunnus 4000 ci4
Posted by: Clinton Terry (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 07, 2010 10:48AM

What would be a good rod for a Thunnus 4000 ci4 (Shimano)...customer already has the reel? I am thinking about the MHX843 or the blend equivalent of that. This reel can handle up to 40lb test line...or at least that is the last specification given for the reel. I talking with this person, he said he has 15lb power pro put on the reel already and that he would not be using anything over 20lb. He throws the smaller mirror lures or rapallas, but often uses shrimp or cut bait. Personally, I would have a smaller reel...but it is what it is. Obviously, this is salt water. Any thoughts would be appreicated. Clinton

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Simano Thunnus 4000 ci4
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 07, 2010 11:33AM

I'd try to match the rod to the technique - the reel is more a of line holding device and won't have a tremendous effect on the actual fishing he does. Obviously, it is possible to have too much or too little reel for the task at hand, but I'd quiz him a bit more on what he's doing and then arrive at the rod blank that will allow him to pursue his method of fishing in the best way possible.

Posted by: Chuck Payne (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 07, 2010 11:49AM

I think you will have problems getting a good balance on a 7' blank with a reel that size. I often use 2500 stradics on similar blanks to what you mentioned and sometimes 3000's. I would take Toms advice and try to match the type of fishing instead of the reel. I also tend to like a more moderate action rod than mentioned for a mirrolure, my new favorite being the Rainshadow XP 844. If you want to stay with MHX look at the popping blanks.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: September 07, 2010 12:27PM

I'd like to see the reel if you get hands on it. The metal thunnus was absurdly big and heavy. I like baitrunners....hoping the ci4 is lighter.....would love a look see. Plus I'd like to try a blind CP test sometime.

I like St. Croix for our waters. I have the 2SW70MF you/he could feel/cast if desired. I fish a smaller reel on it but if it had a longer handle it could handle 15# test no problem. Probably best to go up one notch in power....longer wouldn't hurt if he is casting a lot. And just to muddy up the waters I'm finishing up a hot shot rod that would fish 15# fine and would cast lighter weights above average. Problem is hot shot blanks aren't cheap and I wouldn't want a "newbie" touching one.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: September 07, 2010 01:52PM

The new Thunnus reels are DEFINITELY a vast improvement over the previous version. I would definitely recommend a softer action, based on your input. Take a look at the MHX CB845 ... your customer should love that blank paired with that particular reel. BTW, that blank weighs in at less than 2 ounces, yet it offers plenty of inshore power.

Date: September 07, 2010 02:26PM

I aksed him again and for this rod, he will be throwing mirror lures and other top water lures and casting shrimp for reds and snook. If he there is more to what he does than this, he is not articulating it. I know he fishing out of Ft. Myers and Sarasota, Florida...in other words the Gulf. So in terms of top techinque, I think he is fishing top water lures, and using live shrimp. He has other rods for bottom fishing, such as grouper. Clinton

Date: September 07, 2010 02:27PM

Russ, I think the reel is mostly graphite.

Date: September 07, 2010 02:28PM

Yes, that is one of the reels I was thinking about when I mentioned the other MHX blended rods. Thanks. Clinton

Date: September 07, 2010 02:55PM

Clinton Terry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I aksed him again and for this rod, he will be
> throwing mirror lures and other top water lures
> and casting shrimp for reds and snook.

MirrOlures aren't topwater ... with the exception of the Top Dog. They are all subsurface/suspending lures - so are the MirrOdine, MirrOmullet and the rest. For the flats, you will find 90% of the fishermen are best served with a "popping rod" which is a moderate-fast action. The need for a "compromise" rod is to accommodate subsurface lures and bait, the same theory applies to 7'0" lengths - long enough for open water, short enough for structure ... when a 7'6"-8"0 and a 6'0"-6'6" would actually suit each specific purpose best. You will find the CB845 to be one of those "compromise" or "popping-style" blanks, the same with the P844 ... except the former would be better with the Thunnus 4000 CI4 IMO. Why don't you buy a few different blanks and let the angler make his choice ... MB843, P844, CB845 and even the L842.

Date: September 07, 2010 03:09PM

I could but he is on the other side of the state and he wants me to decide...which I find troublesome, for the most part, as my sense is that person just goes fishing without thinking about it too much. I made a rod for his gandson and he liked it and wanted something similar. Nice recommendation, but now I have to come up with something that will make him happy as well. Hmmmmmmmmm.....

These small mirror lures are still pretty light, so I am just wondering how well the CB845 will cast with it? Not tried so I do not know. I guess I will be getting some and trying them out.

Date: September 07, 2010 03:48PM

I think you will be more than fine with the CB845. Although it is rated 10-20, it is a very light and fun blank - something provided for with the more moderate action. I can't imagine any flats fisherman being dissatisfied with one. Unless someone was fishing jigs, bucktails and/or topwaters only you aren't going to get much better IMO.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster